Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Newer Kernel Version to Use?

Question Which Newer Kernel Version to Use?

Hi folks.

I'm having an issue with a new computer that we have.

It has Opensuse Leap 15.2 installed with an RTX 3060 and all cuda stack working. We chose the 15.2 version instead of 15.3 just to make absolutely sure that cuda would work (since we have other older stable computers with this "combo"). However, we are facing severe freezing issues.

It was originally provided with a Ryzen 9 5950X, but due to these freezing issues that it was facing under load it seemed that downgrading it to a 5900X was a good idea. It improved: instead of freezing in less than 20 minutes under load with 16 threads in use, it seemed ok for a while until longer tests indicated that it now freezes within 36h with the same amount of threads (we are used to keep machines under full load for much longer periods of time).

Before downgrading the CPU we tried to change the PSU, GPU (it freezes even when the GPU is not in use, so this was actually a long shot), memory. The only things left for testing are the 3 fan water cooler, HD (makes no sense) and motherboard.

Given that the MB is a bit of a painful attempt (that might not fix it), I resumed my online searchs for other clues. Then, I found on phoronics the information that the temperature monitoring on Zen3 was not available until kernel 5.10 (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...10-HWMON-Zen-3). I just checked to discover that opensuse leap 15.2 have (on the most standard repositories) only up to 5.3.18, and even 15.3 doesn't have a much newer kernel by default.

I begin to search the repositories and actually found several version of kernels >5.10, for example:
    5.15 in https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...andard/x86_64/
    5.14.12 in https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...andard/x86_64/
    5.14.13 in https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...andard/x86_64/

There might be more. However, I've never used no mainstream kernel versions in any upgrade, so I'm worried: which would be the most recommended version to use?

Moreover, I'm worried about facing any unexpected issues during this procedures: is there anything I should look out in advance? (I think it should give me access to both kernel version in the boot time, so an additional version wouldn't prevent me from logging and having KDE up, am I right? Also, should I pay attention for it needing keys for secure boot as in GPU installation or not?)

Could someone give me some advice on that?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Default AW: Which Newer Kernel Version to Use?

1. Why openSUSE Leap 15.2:
    Quote Originally Posted by https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime
    openSUSE Leap 15.2 - is expected to be maintained until November or end of December 2021
    https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime

2. Kernel:stable is build against factory and will not work in Leap 15.x

3. kernel:stable:backports is build against Leap 15.3 and may be also not work

I would install Leap 15.3, its a backported kernel 5.9

Default Re: Which Newer Kernel Version to Use?

When I was using opensuse 15.2, I was using kernel from tumbleweed.
    What I did was I only enable the tumbleweed repo whenever I like to install a newer kernel
    and use yast2 to install. When done installing I disable it again.

I am not endorsing this procedure because I guess I was just too daring to do it.
    It was just fortunate that I did not encounter issues or if there was one I just revert back my
    kernel to the opensuse 15.2.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    1. Why openSUSE Leap 15.2:

https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime
    Juste because it is a proven and tested platform on previous systems for cuda that we re certain that we will not encounter any software issues (however we hit a roadblock with a possible sotware-hardware incompability... ).

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    2. Kernel:stable is build against factory and will not work in Leap 15.x

3. kernel:stable:backports is build against Leap 15.3 and may be also not work

I would install Leap 15.3, its a backported kernel 5.9
    Accordingly to the phoronix news, 5.9 is still not enough, it should be at least 5.10...

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    What I did was I only enable the tumbleweed repo whenever I like to install a newer kernel
    and use yast2 to install. When done installing I disable it again.

I am not endorsing this procedure because I guess I was just too daring to do it.
    It was just fortunate that I did not encounter issues or if there was one I just revert back my
    kernel to the opensuse 15.2.
    If there is no other option it might be the very risky way to move forward: How precisely did you do that so that you were mostly certain that reversing back would be possible? Did you install two kernel versions simultaneously (I remember it was possible a long time ago), or just relied on the BTRFS snapshots rollback?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    That's probably not going to work now. With the Tumbleweed "usr-merge", there's now an incompatibility between Tumbleweed kernels and Leap.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Unhappy Re: Which Newer Kernel Version to Use?

Sorry for being away: I was facing 503 and 504 errors when trying to reach the forums in the last days.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    That's probably not going to work now. With the Tumbleweed "usr-merge", there's now an incompatibility between Tumbleweed kernels and Leap.
    Thanks @nrickert. That is actually bad news to me, as that seemed to be the best first option to try.

If I still chose to go by that route, are there any recommendations on how to proceed so that I could try to safely revert to the previous kernel (without having to reinstall the whole system)?

I like to think of CUDA as a "very powerful yet sensitive piece of software, which is also very stressful to install", and as such I would prefer to not upgrade the whole opensuse from 15.2 to 15.3 as a first attempt...

(btw, where can I look to be certain that the necessary modules for temperature monitoring of zen3 processors were backported into the kernel 5.9?)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johannesrs View Post
    If I still chose to go by that route, are there any recommendations on how to proceed so that I could try to safely revert to the previous kernel (without having to reinstall the whole system)?
    I think you will get a conflict on the file system version, if you attempt to install a Tumbleweed kernel.

Best would be to use the kernel available at
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable:/Backport/standard/
    The kernels there should work for Leap systems. In particular, they should be okay for Leap 15.2 (as far as I know).

The previous kernel should remain on your system, and you can select it with the grub menu.

You can edit the line
    Code:
    multiversion.kernels = latest,latest-1,running
    which is in "/etc/zypp/zypp.conf". That sets which kernels will be retained. There are comments in the file to suggest what changes you can make.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Use UPS. Try to update motherboard BIOS. Test video card with another machine.
    Use Leap 15.3. Soon you'll get no help with Leap 15.2.
    Thermal sensors are needed only for temperature monitoring.

Hi @nrickert!

I think you will get a conflict on the file system version, if you attempt to install a Tumbleweed kernel.
    oh-oh, more troubles ahead...

Best would be to use the kernel available at
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable:/Backport/standard/
    The kernels there should work for Leap systems. In particular, they should be okay for Leap 15.2 (as far as I know).

The previous kernel should remain on your system, and you can select it with the grub menu.

You can edit the line
    Code:
    multiversion.kernels = latest,latest-1,running
    which is in "/etc/zypp/zypp.conf". That sets which kernels will be retained. There are comments in the file to suggest what changes you can make.
    Isn't that one of the options @conram advised against?

However, it is becoming my only alternative... Is there anything else I should look for to be absolutely certain that both kernels would be available at "grub-time"?

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    Use UPS.
    Hi Svyatko! Thanks for the suggestion, but already done that, and problem is still there.

Try to update motherboard BIOS.
    Already done, problem still there.

Test video card with another machine.
    Already done, problem still there.

Also changed RAM, CPU. It happens randomly when using high and intense computing, and not only when the GPU is used (it also happens when only the CPU is used, non-CUDA configuration and compilation of the application)

Use Leap 15.3. Soon you'll get no help with Leap 15.2.
    Thermal sensors are needed only for temperature monitoring.
    That might be my last resort. And I might need to go for it. However, CUDA is a bit* to make work properly (heart attack level bit*), so I'm considering all options before moving on to it.

Thermal sensors are not need for CPU throttling?

Thank you all.

Default AW: Which Newer Kernel Version to Use?

If you use kernel:stable:backports, all kmps build against kernel 5.3 from the OSS Repo do not work anymore.
    Also the nvidia kmp.

You have to build them by using the run File from the Nvidia Side.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast