Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: sddm login fonts super tiny, can't use another display manager

  1. #1

    Default sddm login fonts super tiny, can't use another display manager

    I am running Tumbleweed on an ASUS Zenbook Flip S UX371 with both Gnome and KDE Plasma 5 installed. The screen has 4k UHD resolution which makes everything really small, so I had to do a lot of tweaking in KDE to make my system readable, but I couldn't figure out how to adjust font sizes in the display manager so I just switched to GDM. With GDM, the font sizes are readable.


    After the last TW update to 20211012, I can't use GDM anymore. After a reboot, it won't let me login to KDE unless I login to Gnome first, then logout, and then login to KDE. So I switched the display manager back to SDDM, but the fonts are tiny, tiny, tiny.


    How do you update the font size in the display manager? I looked at SDDM configuration in system settings and couldn't find anything related to fonts.

  2. #2

    Default Re: sddm login fonts super tiny, can't use another display manager

    Try to run
    Code:
    qt5ct
    You may need to run as root to change the font, this way I think it will affect the fonts size of sddm.
    Hopefully it will work.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  3. #3

    Default Re: sddm login fonts super tiny, can't use another display manager

    Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    Try to run
    Code:
    qt5ct
    You may need to run as root to change the font, this way I think it will affect the fonts size of sddm.
    Hopefully it will work.
    Please disregard my post above "qouted"
    Please follow the link:
    https://en.opensuse.org/High_DPI
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    3,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: sddm login fonts super tiny, can't use another display manager

    See instructions here: https://github.com/sddm/sddm#custom-dpi

    Any value above 96 should help. I suggest a multiple of 12, so you might try 168 if 192 seems rather too much compensation.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, TW, 15.3 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia, Fedora, Debian, more on Kaby Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia &&&&&

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,599
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: sddm login fonts super tiny, can't use another display manager

    Quote Originally Posted by techtribe View Post
    After the last TW update to 20211012, I can't use GDM anymore. After a reboot, it won't let me login to KDE unless I login to Gnome first, then logout, and then login to KDE.
    What you describe is actually Bug 1191248. Actually, you can login to KDE. But you have to first go to the menu and select "Plasma X11" there. Login to KDE as the cached default doesn't work. Or you can instead login to "Plasma Wayland", and then you won't have to mess with the menu at each login -- if Wayland works on your computer.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  6. #6

    Default Re: sddm login fonts super tiny, can't use another display manager

    I'm using SDDM in tumbleweed Xfce.
    In KDE System Settings, startup and shutdown,
    Login Screen, Synchronize Settings.
    just click synchronize settings and click synchronize.
    If memory serves it will ask for the root password.
    it will set your font and DPI settings to match your settings
    in plasma desktop.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  7. #7

    Default Re: sddm login fonts super tiny, can't use another display manager

    Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    I'm using SDDM in tumbleweed Xfce.
    In KDE System Settings, startup and shutdown,
    Login Screen, Synchronize Settings.
    just click synchronize settings and click synchronize.
    If memory serves it will ask for the root password.
    it will set your font and DPI settings to match your settings
    in plasma desktop.
    Awesome, thank you. That makes things so easy. I did that and everything looks great now.

  8. #8

    Default Re: sddm login fonts super tiny, can't use another display manager

    Quote Originally Posted by techtribe View Post
    Awesome, thank you. That makes things so easy. I did that and everything looks great now.
    No problem, glad to see it worked for you.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •