Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intel HDA's HDMI audio output on docked Thinkpad T410S not appearing to Pulse

Default Re: Intel HDA's HDMI audio output on docked Thinkpad T410S not appearing to Pulse

https://askubuntu.com/questions/6946...nent-master-19

In my case, the i915 graphics driver was not registering this audio component with the kernel. This failure can happen at various stages of loading and initializing the i915 graphics driver. For me, it was due to the lack of availability of Kernel Mode Setting (KMS). The i915 driver requires KMS to operate properly and will not initialize and register the required audio components if it is not enabled.

I fixed this by adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/modesetting.conf:

options i915 modeset=1

Default Re: Intel HDA's HDMI audio output on docked Thinkpad T410S not appearing to Pulse

Yep, I already found and tried that one too - made no difference. I also went ahead and tried forcing load in initramfs using dracut config files (at least to the best of my n00b ability, and I did see a difference in relatively earlier load time in dmesg), but that too did not work out.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Could you check the BIOS to confirm HDMI is still enabled? I don't think this the issue, but its worth checking.
    Yep, it's enabled at the BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Based on what you posted, and what surfing indicated to me, there appears to have been a regression in the GNU/Linux kernel in regard to the alsa driver and HDMI for the Thinkpad 410S. I think you may be best to raise a bug report on the openSUSE LEAP-15.3 kernel. That will get the attention of the SUSE-GmBH alsa sound driver packager/kernel developer, who is also an alsa sound driver developer, and he might be the best person on this planet !! to help you on this.

Apologies that I am not able to help further.
    These are all great tips - thanks, and no apologies needed whatsoever; I really (really!) appreciate all the help. At this point I suspect you're probably right on that this is a legitimate bug, so I will go ahead and try to post a bug report today or tomorrow. For the moment, though, I'm going to go ahead and swap in another machine for the T410s, and hopefully this will find a resolution at some point so it can go back into service.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12