Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kde Plasma5 copy/paste not working

Default Re: Kde Plasma5 copy/paste not working

I don't believe I am misapplying copy paste commands. ctrl-c and ctrl-v are the standard linux commands for copy paste to a terminal or any other apps. For decades, I have been using ctrl-c, ctrl-v successfully. Ctrl-shft-c, ctrl-shift-v may work but they are not and never have been necessary. When I was last on plasma with kde copy/paste working, I did try ctrl-shft-v for paste and it did not paste the text seen at the top of the list in the clipboard.

I don't use middle mouse button for any copy/paste function; only for scrolling.

When copy/paste is working in plasma ctrl-c,cntrl-v work as they should. Right click copy/paste menu also functions fine.

From "Basic Linux Keyboard Shortcuts" on linuxreviews.org,

cut and paste[edit]

You can highlight any text anywhere using the mouse and instantly paste it by pressing mouse button 3 (or both buttons on two button mouse).
    Applications also support selecting text and pressing ctrl-c to copy it or ctrl-x to cut it to the clipboard. Press ctrl-v or `shift-insert` to paste.
    The text above was inserted though ctrl-c, ctrl-v on mate desktop. into the opensuse forum response dialogue. There is no mention of ctrl-shft-c or v. I have not tested shift-insert. I still contend that copy/paste is working sporadically on my machine in plasma.

I do appreciate your looking into this issue for me. I will periodically go back to plasma to give it a whirl.

thanks, tom kosvic

Ctrl-shft-c, ctrl-shift-v work in consoles NOT in GUI. Ctrl-c and Ctrl-v do not work in consoles. ctrl-c has other meanings in consoles.

It is important to report witch environment you are in when it fails.

After about 3 weeks of not using plasma (used mate exclusively), I tried plasma and copy paste works fine. I can select a text piece, right click and select copy, then move to another app such as an editor or a terminal emulator and right click and select paste and the text is there. All the selections I have made are in the clipboard. No changes were made intentionally to any kde software while I was using mate. I do use plasma konsole terminal and some other kde software (dolphin, occasionally) while in mate.

Have no idea what could have been changed. I did do a few reboots though but booted from mate and back to mate.

I have no solution for this. I will use plasma until copy/paste stops working again.

Strange, strange indeed... I've no idea either, and I see your post over at the kde forums ( https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=172892 ) wasn't particularly productive in terms of suggestions/solutions, but let's hope it keeps working for you.
    Regards, Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123