Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: openSUSE : Shutdown halts but doesn't fully shutdown (ie no power off)

Blog Entries

Default openSUSE : Shutdown halts but doesn't fully shutdown (ie no power off)

In a new Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen-9 laptop install under openSUSE LEAP-15.3, I note power-off 'halts' but does not 'shutdown' the computer. To shutdown I need to hold the power on/off button for a dozen seconds. This was not unexpected behaviour as other distros have this issue in some cases. (Its possible this thread belongs under 'hardware' due to my view this is a distro wide issue with this Lenovo - however this was experienced during the install (see below)).

On the bottom of the laptop display, after the 'failed' shutdown completion, one can still see "LEAP" on the screen, and the "CapsLock" still flashes. I observed this issue with the LEAP-15.3 liveUSB prior to install.

Neither a KDE shutdown nor a ' shutdown -r now ' from the konsole will result in a power off (they have identical behaviour).

openSUSE LEAP-15.3 has a 5.3.18 kernel. ... I note I did not experience this with Knoppix-9.1 liveUSB (which has a 5.10 kernel) when shutting down with " shutdown -r now" , nor with Tumbleweed (which has a 5.14 kernel) when shutting down with " shutdown -r now" . My guess is to address this issue, I will likely need to update the kernel in my openSUSE-15.3 to kernel 5.14 from a backport:stable repository.

I believe associated with the above, was an issue encountered during installation of LEAP-15.3, after all apps installed, and the laptop was conducting its first reboot (prior to 1st successful openSUSE-15.3 boot from the SSD) that the install 'hung' and did not reboot. That was not an issue, as I held the physical power on/off button on the laptop down for a dozen seconds, which shut the laptop down. I then was able to switch back on and I noted a successful install. I saw this in the terminal when the laptop refused to reboot:
    Code:
    starting yast ...
    Starting Intaller
    Probing connected terminal

Initializing virtual console

Found a Linux console terminal on /dev/console (240 columns x 75 lines).
    Sampling every 5 s to /var/log/YaST2/nonsample.zcat
    *** Starting YaST2 ***
    /usr/lib/YaST2/startup/First-Stage/F10-cleanup: line18: 3441 Terminated  nonsample --sleep=$ONESAMPLE-5)" --archive/var/log/YaST2/nonsample.zcat
    swapoff: bad useage
    Try 'swapoff --help' for more information.
    /sbin/inst_setup: 197: cannot create /sys/class/zram-control/hot_remove: Directory nonexistent
    Also - I note on the Lenovo Linux forum , a number of Ubuntu users are reporting this issue with Ubuntu on this laptop, so I suspect this is not openSUSE specific.

I did look at /var/messages - but the quantify of messages in their swamped me too much and I was not able to identify the exact time of shutdown. I will need to shutdown again, .... leave the laptop for a while (ie not immediately restart) and then look at the messages, to get a better assessment.

I will update this thread if I learn any more on this issue, but I may just proceed to install the 5.14 kernel to see if that sorts the issue.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 05-Oct-2021 at 20:33. Reason: Fixed title

Default Re: openSUSE : Reboot halts but doesn't fully shutdown (ie no power off)

You mention
    Code:
    shutdown -r now
    That should not switch off power, but do a "reboot".
    I assume you mean
    Code:
    shutdown -h now
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE : Reboot halts but doesn't fully shutdown (ie no power off)

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You mention
    Code:
    shutdown -r now
    That should not switch off power, but do a "reboot".
    I assume you mean
    Code:
    shutdown -h now
    Yes, ... I am bad. I meant "shutdown -h now". I should add thou, the laptop 'hangs' at the end of the 'halt' after a 'shutdown -r now' and does not reboot.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 05-Oct-2021 at 03:57.

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE : Shutdown halts but doesn't fully shutdown (ie no power off)

On the topic of this failure to fully shutdown issue, I have experienced a 'possible' resolution, which I do not understand.

I was using the Lenovo X1 Carbon this morning, and was switching it on/off. On the 1st switch OFF, the problem was still present, where openSUSE LEAP-15.3 halted, but the power was not removed ( with 'LEAP' still showing on the bottom of the screen and the CAPS-lock key flashing). Holding down the power on/off key for a dozen seconds switches off the Lenovo.

The grub display, upon boot (where one selects openSUSE) is very tiny, so on the next boot of the laptop to LEAP-15.3, immediately after booting , I went into YaST, boot loader, and changed the boot resolution to 1024x768 for grub (as that way the grub characters are not so tiny). It set to an 'autodetect' resolution before (which gives tiny charters in grub).

Now when switching off the Lenovo twice since, it switched OFF properly both times, with a proper 'halt' followed by a power off.

This was unexpected.

Could it be that something in grub, puts in a parameter for shutdown, that causes an issue for power off?

I likely need to repeat this ON/OFF a dozen times or so as a test, to see how repeatable this may be, but its taken me by surprise. No where, in the Lenovo support threads (for Linux) have I noted anyone mentioning this as a possible solution. .... Its unexpected (possibly a red herring) and interesting.

Default Re: openSUSE : Shutdown halts but doesn't fully shutdown (ie no power off)

And does it proper reboot now?

It could be that the changes you made in the Grub configuration forced YaST to re-create some configuration or the initrd.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    And does it proper reboot now?

It could be that the changes you made in the Grub configuration forced YaST to re-create some configuration or the initrd.
    Yes it boots fine at present.

I'll keep monitoring how it shutdowns. I am not yet convinced this (correct shutdown) will persistently continue.

Blog Entries

The failure to fully shut down problem has not gone away. I don't know yet why sometimes it shutdowns ok and sometimes it does not.

Prior to heading to supper this evening (at 18:06), after the laptop being powered for some hours, when attempting to shudown from KDE, it halted, but did not power off.

Here is an online paste link to many messages in /var/log/messages at the time of the failed shutdown : https://justpaste.it/4cetv
    - note the Shutdown was initiated at
    Code:
    2021-10-06T18:06:48.926178+07:00 localhost org.kde.LogoutPrompt[14084]: No protocol specified
    but given there many other errors occuring at the time of the shutdown (for reasons unknown to me) I included a bit of time before the KDE logout prompt message.

Here is an online paste link to many messages in /var/log/warn at the time of the failed shutdown : https://justpaste.it/2wuic

I came back after supper, switched the laptop on, and obtained those (above) messages and then very quickly shutdown the laptop via same KDE method (time 19:34). This time the laptop power went off ok at the end of the halt.

Here is an online paste link to many messages in /var/log/messages at the time of the OK shutdown - https://justpaste.it/49qfe
    Here is an online paste link to many messages in /var/log/warn at the time of the OK shutdown - https://justpaste.it/5n3tg

There are error messages during both shutdowns - many are the same. It appears like there could be multiple reasons for the shutdown failure.

Given I saw this shutdown failed behaviour in the LEAP-15.3 liveUSB, but not in the Tumbleweed liveUSB, I am hesitant to raise a bug report if its been fixed in Tumbleweed - although maybe I just got lucky in Tumbleweed?
    Last edited by oldcpu; 06-Oct-2021 at 06:50.

Blog Entries

A further note to the above, ... later this evening, after using the ultrabook for about 40 minutes, I shut it down again, this time from the bash shell, with the command "shutdown -h now". The halt followed by a power off shutdown was fully successful.

Below are the messages stored in /var/log/messages and in /var/log/warn. In both cases there are significantly less errors than when using the KDE menu to shutdown:

Shutdown ok from bash with 'shutdown -h now' ==== var-log-messages - openSUSE-LEAP-15.3
    https://justpaste.it/6pttp

Shutdown ok from bash with 'shutdown -h now' ==== var-log-warn - openSUSE-LEAP-15.3
    https://justpaste.it/32tfv

I may from now on, when doing a shutdown, continue using 'shutdown -h now' to see if there are cases where it also fails to fully shut down.

Something very similar happens to me. When I try to shut down or reboot from KDE, my screen goes black; but it doesn't shut down. I can still see and am able to move around my cursor. I am stuck like this until I do a hardware reset by holding the power button.
    I am using Tumbleweed.

Try another desktop to see if it is a KDE issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast