Thread: Upgrade to 15.3 - failures

Default Upgrade to 15.3 - failures

Hi All,
    Upgraded to 15.2 from 15.1 successfully and now attempting to upgrade to 15.3 but keep getting errors from the installation. I have done a media check and that was fine but there are checksum errors and then I got to this which I can only share as an image off my phone. I will attempt to download a new installation image and burn the DVD again but just wondered if others experienced this and if a new download will fix this?

Thanks
    Craig

Default Re: Upgrade to 15.3 - failures

Hi Craig and welcome to the forum.

If you have encountered checksum error then anything could go wrong. It seems very likely that this is your culprit. You should definitely get a new installation source.
    Nowadays DVD speed feels painfully slow. What about burning the image to a USB device?
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick

Or a step further, did you ever consider an online upgrade?
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

I have totally given up on offline upgrades, only use it for a fresh install. (Then, BTW I make in offline, only and update later!)

Have a lot of fun!

kasi

Thanks for the welcome and reply. I have been around before but had to re-register

I'll see if I can get a new download to work through the old DVD system, I know but it works for me. Being rural we don't get good high speed internet! Just about to try burning the DVD again with a fresh downlead from Suse

So a question, how do you retain all your installed programs and such or do you just reinstall them all on a new install? Its probably the only gripe I have with Opensuse or any Linux distribution really, the upgrade cycle is quite short so it actually costs a lot of time and trouble getting your system back the way you had it if you go for a new install. Maybe I am missing something here, is there a method that makes this less painful.

Thanks
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by kasi042 View Post
    Hi Craig and welcome to the forum.

If you have encountered checksum error then anything could go wrong. It seems very likely that this is your culprit. You should definitely get a new installation source.
    Nowadays DVD speed feels painfully slow. What about burning the image to a USB device?
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick

Or a step further, did you ever consider an online upgrade?
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

I have totally given up on offline upgrades, only use it for a fresh install. (Then, BTW I make in offline, only and update later!)

Have a lot of fun!

kasi

Quote Originally Posted by craigeben View Post
    Being rural we don't get good high speed internet! Just about to try burning the DVD again with a fresh downlead from Suse
    That's the first issue why I suggested the online upgrade. The total time of directly upgrading to the current repositories online is IMHO faster than A. downloading the full ISO image (with many unneeded packages), B. burning it, C. installing it and D. having to update, which may take very long again as many packages of the image are already outdated.
    At least the bootable USB stick would be a bit faster than DVD.

So a question, how do you retain all your installed programs and such or do you just reinstall them all on a new install? Its probably the only gripe I have with Opensuse or any Linux distribution really, the upgrade cycle is quite short so it actually costs a lot of time and trouble getting your system back the way you had it if you go for a new install. Maybe I am missing something here, is there a method that makes this less painful.
    Another plus for the online upgrade because now, with 15.3 it is officially recommended to keep extra repositories active during upgrade. Just check the link I have sent. As long as the programs are still maintained for the new version you're fine.

You may get some "extra safety" from using BTRFS with snapshots (although many here don't like BTRFS). If you run into any trouble during upgrade (never mind online or offline) you can just roll back to the latest snapshot and start troubleshooting.