Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fresh install & nvidia oddities

Default Re: Fresh install & nvidia oddities

Quote Originally Posted by thibdb13 View Post
    When I read the official - wiki documentation, I understood that installing the nvidia drivers should lead to the automatic blacklisting of the nouveau driver.
    Sometimes you need more than described in some wiki.

And by the way, thanks for the idea of uninstalling the nouveau drivers but there is a little problem at the moment with it: in such a case, zypper wishes to uninstall xorg...
    For deleting nouveau drivers uninstall all, but libdrm_nouveau2.

Next time, please do not read my messages any more, I would not like you to feel bad about them
    You cannot worsen my days with your posts more than local statesmen are achieving - I'm living in Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post

You cannot worsen my days with your posts more than local statesmen are achieving - I'm living in Russia.
    Уже лучше понимаю, почему ты такой откровенный

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    Sometimes you need more than described in some wiki.
    I understand but as a "non professional" user, I think I may expect that the official documentation draws my attention to this sort of problems...

See:
    NVIDIA drivers on Opensuse
    The so called better version
    The Optimus page

Not really helpful for a new TW-installation since last week, don't you think?

I understand but as a "non professional" user, I think I may expect that the official documentation draws my attention to this sort of problems[...]Not really helpful for a new TW-installation since last week, don't you think?
    jep, programmers are faster than writers

it should be no problem to have nouveau installed when the kernel-module is disabled in some .conf-file in /etc/modprobe.d "blacklist nouveau"
    if starting x fails after install nvidia, i always check the modules (lsmod). if there is nouveau present, disabling nouveau has failed.

just for me, i am buying amd/radeon as gpu since a while, cause they are much better supported in linux general. nvidia is sort of , especially with older gpus

I understand but as a "non professional" user, I think I may expect that the official documentation draws my attention to this sort of problems...
    Quote Originally Posted by https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed
    Who should use openSUSE Leap instead of Tumbleweed?

While every effort is made to build them, at this point there is no guarantee to have all additional modules available in openSUSE Tumbleweed like for example, VMware or VirtualBox. And while the Packman Tumbleweed Essential repository attempts to deliver them there is no guarantee they will always succeed due to the incompatibilities with the quickly advancing Linux kernel. The problems with proprietary graphics drivers are similar and there is no guarantee they will work tomorrow, even if they do today. If you don't know how to compile your own additional kernel modules and you don't wish to learn or keep a very close eye on what is being updated, please don't use Tumbleweed.

Regards

susejunky

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12