Fresh install & nvidia oddities

After some problems with my last fresh install of Tumbleweed (see: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/560340-Cannot-Boot-after-fresh-installation), I am encountering some oddities with NVIDIA.

I have a laptop with optimus:

sudo lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU106M [GeForce RTX 2070 Mobile / Max-Q Refresh] (rev a1)

I installed x11-video-nvidiaG05 as my nvidia-driver and after rebooting I tried “prime-select intel”. The result was disappointing:

prime-select intel
intel catched
Preparing first configuration
bbswitch not loaded. NVIDIA modules are NOT loaded
if you want energy saving bbswitch should be loaded in intel mode
Logout to switch graphics

When I logout I get a black screen and cannot switch to virtual terminals with Ctrl+F1 (or F2,…)
After a hard reboot, I can see the prime-select command did not have any effect.
For example:

xrandr --listproviders 
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Providers: number : 0

Even or more strange, it seems that bbswitch is installed on my laptop (it happened during the installation process). Why is it so?

And why are the nvidia modules not loaded?

sudo lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga   
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] [8086:9bc4] (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:147d]
    Kernel modules: i915
--
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation TU106M [GeForce RTX 2070 Mobile / Max-Q Refresh] [10de:1f14] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:147d]
    Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia

lsmod | grep nvidia
i2c_nvidia_gpu         16384  0

Does this one help:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/560340-Cannot-Boot-after-fresh-installation?p=3069609#post3069609

I tried it but unfortunately it does not help. By the way, the link you sent was a post I created myself :wink:

Don’t mix nouveau with Nvidia drivers, use only one of them.

inxi -aFz

may help with understanding.

That’s just the problem: I didn’t ask nouveau to be loaded but it is…

Graphics:  
Device-1: Intel CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:9bc4 class-ID: 0300 
Device-2: NVIDIA TU106M [GeForce RTX 2070 Mobile / Max-Q Refresh] vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: N/A alternate: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia  bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1f14 class-ID: 0300 

Hi
While you have this in the boot option you will be banging you head against the proverbial brick wall…

nomodeset nvidia-drm.modeset=1 modprobe.blacklist=nouveau,bbswitch

My suggestion is to ignore using bbswitch for the moment, suse-prime or switcherooctl are the ones to use going forward…

Remove all of the above and reboot.

I also thought this would help but it does not:

prime-select intel
intel catched
Preparing first configuration
bbswitch module not found. NVIDIA card will not be powered off
Logout to switch graphics

What I do not understand is why bbswitch still appears. It seems to have been installed during the installation of the system and I removed it afterwards but it seems the system is still looking for it.
Second thing: why are the nvidia modules not loaded? (lsmod | grep nvidia gives only this: i2c_nvidia_gpu 16384 0)

You installed nouveau during OS installation.
Then you installed Nvidia drivers.
To use Nvidia drivers you must disable nouveau drivers by preventing them from load or uninstalling them.
Now you’re trying to cope with 5.14 kernel and new glibc.

You need stronger skills to get working system with all that troubles. IMHO better to use Leap instead of TW.

Thanks for the encouraging words :slight_smile:

As a matter of fact, my usual OS is Leap but from time to time I make tests with Tumbleweed.
This is the first time in many years that I am confronted with this problem.
Also, yes, I know, I have to disable nouveau.
When I read the official - wiki documentation, I understood that installing the nvidia drivers should lead to the automatic blacklisting of the nouveau driver. And this is not happening when you have Tumbleweed installed with one of the last snapshots.
And by the way, thanks for the idea of uninstalling the nouveau drivers but there is a little problem at the moment with it: in such a case, zypper wishes to uninstall xorg…

Next time, please do not read my messages any more, I would not like you to feel bad about them :sarcastic:

Sometimes you need more than described in some wiki.

For deleting nouveau drivers uninstall all, but libdrm_nouveau2.

You cannot worsen my days with your posts more than local statesmen are achieving - I’m living in Russia.

Уже лучше понимаю, почему ты такой откровенный :slight_smile:

I understand but as a “non professional” user, I think I may expect that the official documentation draws my attention to this sort of problems…

See:
NVIDIA drivers on Opensuse
The so called better version
The Optimus page
Not really helpful for a new TW-installation since last week, don’t you think?

jep, programmers are faster than writers :wink:

it should be no problem to have nouveau installed when the kernel-module is disabled in some .conf-file in /etc/modprobe.d “blacklist nouveau”
if starting x fails after install nvidia, i always check the modules (lsmod). if there is nouveau present, disabling nouveau has failed.

just for me, i am buying amd/radeon as gpu since a while, cause they are much better supported in linux general. nvidia is sort of :X, especially with older gpus

Regards

susejunky