Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: how to go back to windows

  1. #1

    Default how to go back to windows

    i been using opensuse for about 2 weeks
    what a amazing experience
    but i just cant find some software that i usually use on windows
    and i also had a license for windows

    is there a way to boot it back to windows? or maybe dual boot it
    i havent format my windows partition
    when i boot my laptop up, it only shows opensuse option

    i tried to burn windows7 iso using imagewriter and unetbootin but both doesnt work (imagewriter didnt support it maybe)
    but when i burn other distros like linux mint, it work

    on the bios menu, it shows an option for grub2win,but it cant boot to that (it boot to opensuse again)

    sorry if my question was dumb


    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,576
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: how to go back to windows

    You give too little information.

    I'll guess. Maybe openSUSE is using UEFI booting while Windows 7 is using MBR booting. If that happens to be the problem, then you need to get into BIOS settings on how you boot.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  3. #3

    Default Re: how to go back to windows

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You give too little information.

    I'll guess. Maybe openSUSE is using UEFI booting while Windows 7 is using MBR booting. If that happens to be the problem, then you need to get into BIOS settings on how you boot.
    im using windows 10

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,576
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: how to go back to windows

    That doesn't change much.

    Normally, the grub menu you use for booting openSUSE should have an entry to boot Windows. However, if one of your systems is using UEFI booting while the other is using MBR booting, then you won't have that menu entry. That's because those ways of booting are not compatible.

    This is still the most likely explanation for your problem.

    Can you post the output from
    Code:
    parted -l
    Run that as root, and use CODE tags to post the output.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mechelen, Belgium
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: how to go back to windows

    If windows is still installed on the computer, you have two possibilities:
    1. You go to your BIOS and change the boot order
    2. In Linux, in a terminal you type efibootmgr. It should give you the list of OS / medias with which you can boot your computer. When you have this, you can type efibootmgr -n and the number of the OS/media you want to start.

    Hereunder an example from my laptop: (run as root)
    Code:
    gwerlas:~ # efibootmgr
    BootCurrent: 0001
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 0001,2001,2002,2003,0002,0000
    Boot0000* opensuse-secureboot
    Boot0001* openSUSE
    Boot0002* opensuse
    Boot2001* EFI USB Device
    Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM
    Boot2003* EFI Network
    gwerlas:~ #
    Now if you want to boot your pc with, let's say, a usb device, you just have to type efibootmgr -n 2001 and then reboot.

  6. #6

    Default Re: how to go back to windows

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    That doesn't change much.


    Can you post the output from
    Code:
    parted -l
    Run that as root, and use CODE tags to post the output.
    Code:
     Model: NVMe Device (nvme)
    Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 256GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt
    Disk Flags: 
    
    Number  Start   End    Size    File system     Name                  Flags
     5      1049kB  290MB  289MB   fat32                                 boot, esp
     3      290MB   116GB  115GB   ntfs            Basic data partition  legacy_boot, msftdata
     1      116GB   116GB  8389kB                                        bios_grub
     2      116GB   118GB  2147MB  linux-swap(v1)                        swap
     6      118GB   150GB  32.3GB  ext4
     4      150GB   210GB  59.8GB  ntfs            Basic data partition  msftdata
     7      210GB   256GB  46.1GB  btrfs

  7. #7

    Default Re: how to go back to windows

    Quote Originally Posted by thibdb13 View Post
    If windows is still installed on the computer, you have two possibilities:
    1. You go to your BIOS and change the boot order
    2. In Linux, in a terminal you type efibootmgr. It should give you the list of OS / medias with which you can boot your computer. When you have this, you can type efibootmgr -n and the number of the OS/media you want to start.


    Now if you want to boot your pc with, let's say, a usb device, you just have to type efibootmgr -n 2001 and then reboot.
    heres mine
    Code:
    erik@localhost:~> sudo efibootmgr
    [sudo] password for root: 
    BootCurrent: 0002
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 0002,0007,000F,0000,0010
    Boot0000* Phoenix OS
    Boot0001* Prime OS Loader
    Boot0002* opensuse
    Boot0007* Grub2Win EFI - 64 Bit
    Boot0008  Setup
    Boot0009  Boot Menu
    Boot000A  Diagnostic Splash
    Boot000F* NVMe: WDC PC SN530 SDBPMPZ-256G-1101         
    Boot0010* USB HDD: SanDisk Cruzer Blade
    it just doesnt boot, and after i reboot, the priority change to opensuse again
    and those phoenix os and prime os, how to delete them? i removed its file but it doesnt go away
    i tried to burn windows 7 iso and boot to usbhdd, but it boot back to gnu grub

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mechelen, Belgium
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: how to go back to windows

    Quote Originally Posted by errick27 View Post
    heres mine
    Code:
    erik@localhost:~> sudo efibootmgr
    [sudo] password for root: 
    BootCurrent: 0002
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 0002,0007,000F,0000,0010
    Boot0000* Phoenix OS
    Boot0001* Prime OS Loader
    Boot0002* opensuse
    Boot0007* Grub2Win EFI - 64 Bit
    Boot0008  Setup
    Boot0009  Boot Menu
    Boot000A  Diagnostic Splash
    Boot000F* NVMe: WDC PC SN530 SDBPMPZ-256G-1101         
    Boot0010* USB HDD: SanDisk Cruzer Blade
    it just doesnt boot, and after i reboot, the priority change to opensuse again
    and those phoenix os and prime os, how to delete them? i removed its file but it doesnt go away
    i tried to burn windows 7 iso and boot to usbhdd, but it boot back to gnu grub
    If you want to change "definitively" the boot order, you have (again) two possibilities:
    - go to your bios configuration and adapt the boot order
    - use "efibootmgr -o" and give the boot order you wish to have, for example: efibootmgr -o 7,2,10

    efibootmgr -n change the boot order only for the next boot, you can find more info by typing 'man efibootmgr' in a terminal

    If you have a usb stick with a windows iso, you can also change the boot order in your BIOS by setting your usb stick at the first place. The usb must well be plugged in before you go into the BIOS

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mechelen, Belgium
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: how to go back to windows

    Quote Originally Posted by errick27 View Post
    heres mine

    it just doesnt boot, and after i reboot, the priority change to opensuse again
    and those phoenix os and prime os, how to delete them? i removed its file but it doesnt go away
    i tried to burn windows 7 iso and boot to usbhdd, but it boot back to gnu grub
    To burn a windows iso, install first in opensuse the imagewrite package (sudo zypper in imagewriter), then donwload the image and then start imagewriter. This app is quiet intuitive, so you shouldn't have any problem with it.
    Once it has written the iso to the usb, plug this one out and in, so you can see if the iso was written into it and then adapt the boot order via efibootmgr (or via your BIOS)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,270

    Default Re: how to go back to windows

    Note for Linux to see Windows partitions you MUST turn off fast boot in Windows. It leaves Windows partitions in a unclosed state which Linux can not deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •