Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Boot after fresh installation

Default Cannot Boot after fresh installation

Yesterday and today I tried to make a fresh install with the last Tumbleweed snapshot (kernel 5.14.6-1-default). After restarting the boot process seems to start (grub appears and You can choose how to start) but the boot process gets stopped after a little while. The only ahead is than a hard shutdown.

What happens:
    Situation 1: Grub screen appears and I let him count down: I receive nearly immediately the following message: xhci_hcd 0000:01:00.2: can't change power state from D3cold to D0 (config space inaccessible)

Situation 2: Grub screen appears and I do "enter" : the Grub screen hangs or I get a Black screen

Situation 3: In the Grub menu, I choose "advanced options for opensuse Tumbleweed" and then default kernel. Same message as in Situation 1.

Situation 4: In the Grub menu, I choose "advanced options for opensuse Tumbleweed" and then default Kernel recovery mode. IT goes a bit further but still hangs with as last message "usb: port power management may be unreliable" + before this some messages about xhci_hcd

Is this a (very critical) bug?

Default Re: Cannot Boot after fresh installation

Yesterday I tried also to install Archlinux with their last kernel (5.14.7) and this problem does not seem to appear.

Default AW: Cannot Boot after fresh installation

Can you hit the ESC key after Grub2 to see the kernel messages?

Can you run Runlevel 3 by hitting e in Grub2 and adding 3 to the kernel-commandline, than pressing F10?

Adding a 3 to the kernel command line and the F10 leads me to a Black screen. But I may have added the 3 on the wrong place

Default AW: Cannot Boot after fresh installation

Somthing like this:

Yes, I added it on the right place. I tried again and the result is the same: I get a black screen.

And ESC just after grub2 does not help: the errors messages appear before Plymouth can start

So thanks to this threads (https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...t=black+screen & https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/co..._after_update/), I found a (temporary ?) solution. I added this to the kernel command line in grub:
    Code:
    quiet splash nomodeset nvidia-drm.modeset=1 modprobe.blacklist=nouveau,bbswitch

Provide info about hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    Provide info about hardware.
    Acer Predator Helios 300
    Optimus with:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] (rev 05)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU106M [GeForce RTX 2070 Mobile / Max-Q Refresh] (rev a1)

12 GB RAM
    1 SSD (500GB)
    1 HDD (1TB)
    Intel core i7 10th generation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast