Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Audacity won't start

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    2,031

    Default Re: Audacity won't start

    @GoPanda

    A couple of additional thoughts...

    Your TW system has been regularly updated and is currently up to date?

    Reinstalling software is seldom a solution, but in this instance it might be worth a forced reinstall of audacity:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in -f audacity
    although I doubt it will change the situation.
    Regards, Paul

  2. #22

    Default Re: Audacity won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    Strange...

    I'm running the same version of Audacity on two TW 20211008 systems without problem. ( https://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/bd0e482b )

    Code:
    paul@Orion-15:~$ sudo zypper se -is audacity
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    
    S  | Name     | Type    | Version   | Arch   | Repository
    ---+----------+---------+-----------+--------+------------------------
    i+ | audacity | package | 3.0.4-1.2 | x86_64 | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-OSS
    paul@Orion-15:~$
    
    paul@Orion-15:~$ sudo zypper if audacity
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    
    
    Information for package audacity:
    ---------------------------------
    Repository     : openSUSE-Tumbleweed-OSS
    Name           : audacity
    Version        : 3.0.4-1.2
    Arch           : x86_64
    Vendor         : openSUSE
    Installed Size : 18.2 MiB
    Installed      : Yes
    Status         : up-to-date
    Source package : audacity-3.0.4-1.2.src
    Summary        : A Multi Track Digital Audio Editor
    Description    : 
        Audacity is a program that manipulates digital audio wave forms.
        In addition to multitrack recording capabilities with effects, it
        imports and exports many sound file formats, including WAV, AIFF,
        AU, IRCAM, MP, and Ogg Vorbis. Wave data larger than the available
        physical memory size can be edited.
    
    paul@Orion-15:~$
    I doubt this is a widespread issue or there would be more reports, yet here we now have @GoPanda and the OP both reporting the same failure to launch, so it does look as if there may be a bug under certain conditions.

    Does Audacity fail to launch for a newly created test user? - If so then a bug report is probably in order at: https://bugzilla.opensuse.org with a link to this thread.


    Looking through OBS ( https://build.opensuse.org/search?search_text=audacity ) I've not located a version of 3.0.2
    I take your point. Just so you know

    Code:
    gerry@Unknown-b4-2e-99-e9-04-99:~> sudo zypper if audacity  
    [sudo] password for root:  
    Loading repository data... 
    Reading installed packages... 
    
    
    Information for package audacity: 
    --------------------------------- 
    Repository     : Main Repository (OSS) 
    Name           : audacity 
    Version        : 3.0.4-1.2 
    Arch           : x86_64 
    Vendor         : openSUSE 
    Installed Size : 18.2 MiB 
    Installed      : Yes 
    Status         : up-to-date 
    Source package : audacity-3.0.4-1.2.src 
    Summary        : A Multi Track Digital Audio Editor 
    Description    :  
        Audacity is a program that manipulates digital audio wave forms. 
        In addition to multitrack recording capabilities with effects, it 
        imports and exports many sound file formats, including WAV, AIFF, 
        AU, IRCAM, MP, and Ogg Vorbis. Wave data larger than the available 
        physical memory size can be edited. 
    
    gerry@Unknown-b4-2e-99-e9-04-99:~>  
    
    
    


    also


    Code:
    gerry@Unknown-b4-2e-99-e9-04-99:~> sudo zypper verify
    [sudo] password for root:
     Loading repository data... 
    Reading installed packages... 
    Dependencies of all installed packages are satisfied. 
    gerry@Unknown-b4-2e-99-e9-04-99:~>  
    
    





  3. #23

    Default Re: Audacity won't start

    on a audacity free laptop

    Code:
    gerry@linux-hxu2:~> sudo zypper in audacity 
    [sudo] password for root:  
    Loading repository data... 
    Reading installed packages... 
    Resolving package dependencies... 
    
    The following 6 packages are going to be upgraded:
      glibc glibc-extra glibc-lang glibc-locale glibc-locale-base nscd 
    
    The following 2 recommended packages were automatically selected:
      audacity-lang wxWidgets-lang 
    
    The following 12 NEW packages are going to be installed:
      audacity audacity-lang libFLAC++6 libsuil-0-0 libvamp-hostsdk3 libwx_baseu_net-suse-nostl5_0_0 
      libwx_baseu-suse-nostl5_0_0 libwx_baseu_xml-suse-nostl5_0_0 libwx_gtk3u_core-suse-nostl5_0_0 
      libwx_gtk3u_html-suse-nostl5_0_0 libwx_gtk3u_qa-suse-nostl5_0_0 wxWidgets-lang 
    
    6 packages to upgrade, 12 new. 
    Overall download size: 35.2 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 43.4 MiB will be used. 
    Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): 
    
    
    


    I'll let you know

  4. #24

    Default Re: Audacity won't start

    Peculiarly it launches but there is a warning notification

    The version you are using is an Alpha test version. We strongly recommend [...]

    My laptop is intel, desktop AMD

  5. #25

    Default Re: Audacity won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by GoPanda View Post
    Peculiarly it launches but there is a warning notification

    The version you are using is an Alpha test version. We strongly recommend [...]

    My laptop is intel, desktop AMD
    Installing Audacity seems to have caused another seemingly unrelated problem.

    My first post as "GoPanda" was because an App.Image that accesses the internet (GoPanda2) stopped working with a segfault error 4 after updating Tumbleweed. I was keeping this intel laptop un-updated to avoid the GoPanda2 problem.

    Having installed the files as described above, GoPanda2 no longer works. It was the only update I did. I really do not understand what is going on.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    2,031

    Default Re: Audacity won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by GoPanda View Post
    Installing Audacity seems to have caused another seemingly unrelated problem.

    My first post as "GoPanda" was because an App.Image that accesses the internet (GoPanda2) stopped working with a segfault error 4 after updating Tumbleweed. I was keeping this intel laptop un-updated to avoid the GoPanda2 problem.

    Having installed the files as described above, GoPanda2 no longer works. It was the only update I did. I really do not understand what is going on.
    See my comment in the original thread: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...41#post3073241
    Regards, Paul

  7. #27

    Default Re: Audacity won't start

    Hi, I maintain audacity, can the people experiencing a problem starting audacity please join https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi there'sno useful information here. The person that installed the debug packages could execute gdb audacity, run and paste the information after typing bt and cr. Thanks.
    The most common cause of audacity starting and then exiting is a wxWidgets mismatch but running audacity from the console will give a brief output

  8. #28

    Default Re: Audacity won't start

    Audacity 3.0.5 release is on the way to Tumbleweed.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Audacity won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by plater View Post
    Audacity 3.0.5 release is on the way to Tumbleweed.
    Alas, Audacity 3.0.5 is behaving in the same way as 3.0.4

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: Audacity won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by GoPanda View Post
    Alas, Audacity 3.0.5 is behaving in the same way as 3.0.4
    Perhaps follow plater's request, as in:
    Quote Originally Posted by plater View Post
    Hi, I maintain audacity, can the people experiencing a problem starting audacity please join https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi there'sno useful information here. The person that installed the debug packages could execute gdb audacity, run and paste the information after typing bt and cr. Thanks.
    The most common cause of audacity starting and then exiting is a wxWidgets mismatch but running audacity from the console will give a brief output
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •