Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

Default Re: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

After thinking about it for days, I decided to buy this one:

Samsung 980 - M.2 internal ssd NVME - 1TB

https://www.bol.com/nl/nl/p/samsung-...tm_content=pdl

Tumbleweed will be installed onto this new hard disk. (which I should have tomorrow)

The disk were tumbleweed lives now will be an extra storage disk.

I will store the data I want to keep, temporarily on the windows disk, as explained in this topic. (tar)

Been thinking for a while about a SSD, and now seems the right time to get one, because I will have to reinstall Tumbleweed anyway.

Downloading Tumbleweed, and I installed image writer.

I have an 8 gig usb stick ready for use, it still has an older tumbleweed snapshot.

Too funny not to share.

Looking through my folders for stuff to delete, so I will have less to compress, I found a win 10 iso, and deleted it.
    Oops, that was the win 10 iso the virtual machine was using.
    So I just killed my virtual machine.

There is also a 60 gig folder, I am very tempted to delete. (MAME related)

New tumbleweed snapshot on an usb stick, is ready.

Been reading about BRTFS which I plan to use.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post

I also do not understand how you can use Dolphin.
    I just did a test to be sure, I am not spreading false information.

In my pc are two hard disk, when tumbleweed has booted it shows me both hard disk, the one were windows 10 is installed (sda), and the one were tumbleweed is installed (sdb).

So if I want to add stuff to the windows disk its with dolphin as easy as copy paste.

This will off course kill the file rights, because NTFS does not support this.
    In the past after copying the files back though, the file rights, were fine again.
    I suspect this to happen, because the files get the rights, of the person doing the copying, back to a Linux partition.

I am however gonna try to do it the way you advised me. From the command-line compress the home folder.
    I am first cleaning out my home folder though, otherwise it will be 500gig uncompressed.

I just did another test, and it seems, Linux still sees the rights of the files copied to NTFS.

This slightly confuses me, but it seems the rights do not get lost, if you use Linux (dolphin) to copy the files. (I have no idea what happens if you copy those files with windows though, I never tried that)

Now looking were steam has stored my games, so I can delete them to free up more disk space.

I am already down from 500 gig to 300 gig, progress

When you mount a Windows file system in Linux the permissions are faked to the mount command parameters values. Linux permissions are not in any way stored on a Windows file system.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    When you mount a Windows file system in Linux the permissions are faked to the mount command parameters values. Linux permissions are not in any way stored on a Windows file system.
    Thank you, this makes it clear to me. I was already like wtf, how is this possible, are my eyes deceiving me ?
    So Linux fakes it, and that is why I still see them on an NTFS partition.

The SSD just arrived by post, and I am still cleaning out my home partition. Now down to a bit under 200 gig. (Two things that helped allot, deleting steam and a rom folder for MAME)

Also found a vid about were the ssd goes onto my motherboard.

Its funny to me how small this SSD is, because I still remember how BIG a 20 MB hard disk on my Atari mega ST 2 was.

Slight change of plans. I am not gonna back up my home dir.

I will collect stuff I want to keep into a folder, which I then compress and copy to the ntfs disk.

The reason is, I almost can't believe the amount of stuff I find in my current home folder, like the source code for MAME and CARLA.
    A windows game installed in wine, and a lot more.

So gonna do a fresh tumbleweed install, and then be very critical about what I copy back, and just use windows for some games.

Tomorrow will check if I collected all.

Then have a look at my pc, will I have to remove my vid card ?
    I might have to move a post on the motherboard, or will I get lucky and will it already be set to length of the ssd ?

I am already not missing the power nor the sata cables from the older types of hard disks.

Fingers crossed my next post will be from a fresh installed tumbleweed, and not from widows 10.

Bring in the dancing girls !

That went beyond smooth. I did not have to move a post on the motherboard, it was already in the right position for my SSD. Did not have to remove my vid card, nor my cpu cooler.

Then inserted the tumbleweed install usb, pressed an Fkey to bring up the bios boot menu and selected my usb with EUFI in front of it, and after boot accepted the default.

Now I can boot my new tumbleweed but also the older tumble weed install, and windows 10.

I might have to check some things, but it should be GPT BRTFS and secureboot.

Big cheers to the openSUSE installer, it instantly picked the ssd, as the drive to install tumbleweed on.

First thing to do, look on this forum on how I adjusted the mouse speed, and were that file is stored.

Some thinking to do, about what to do with that second tumbleweed install. That hard disk will be basically a extra storage disk, but I could just leave the tumbleweed install there.

Also thinking about going into yast to add an partion on the ssd for the virtual machine I will install, and or format that second tumble weed install, to get rit of the xfs there.
    While typing this the best solution might be to format that home directory to ext 4, and leave the tumbleweed install as a backup os.

Then create an extra partion for the virtual machine there.

In between I downgraded my bios to the last official version, that supports my cpu, and left the memory speed as it is.
    (see my topic about the desktop freezing, for more info about that)

Very proud of myself, I did not have to ask for a new password on this forum. Copied the .mozilla folder from that other tumbleweed install.

I am having a weird problem.

I cant find the etc dir on my old tumbleweed install. There is a file there, I want to copy to my new tumbleweed install, it slows down my mouse.

When I click on the old hard disk, tumbleweed wants my root password, and then I instantly get my home partition, but dolphin does not seem to show the other partitions like root and etc.

I sometimes truly hate computers.

Also for some weird reason, videos on facebook don't play, but on you tube everything is fine.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast