Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

Default Re: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

So where do you store the virtual machine image?? Most use a separate partition but most of that is optional

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    How would I create an back up ? If its compressed I might be able to park that back up, on the windows disk ? (both hard disk in my pc are 1 gig)
    I would say, use your normal way of making backups.

Only when you backup by "cloning" whole partitions, that is of course not the correct way, because on "cloning" back, you would have the XFS file system again.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

I do wonder if that virtual machine is causing this, but that's a gut feeling, which I can't back up (yet? ) .
    Sigh! I just replied to this. But the forum redirected to the login page and lost everything.

The virtual machine image for KVM/libvirt will probably be in "/var/lib/libvirt/images".

Here's what I did on my system.

I used a separate disk, which I mount at "/shared". I created the directory "/shared/libvirt".
    I then shutdown libvirtd
    Code:
    systemctl stop libvirtd
    Then I moved the content of "/var/lib/libvirt to "/shared/libvirt"
    And I replace "/var/lib/libvirt" with a symbolic link.
    Code:
    ls -l /var/lib/libvirt
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Aug  4 07:17 /var/lib/libvirt -> /shared/libvirt
    So now my virtual machine images are not part of the root file system.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I would say, use your normal way of making backups.

Only when you backup by "cloning" whole partitions, that is of course not the correct way, because on "cloning" back, you would have the XFS file system again.
    Good point, if I clone it wont solve anything.

418,9 GiB of my home dir is used, 500 gig free.

420 gig is something I should be able to easily store on the windows disk.

What I once did, was to create on the windows disk a folder called Linux, then copy all I wanted to keep from Linux to that folder.
    Then after formatting the Linux disk , copy it back. ( then check the rights, because the rights might get messed up, because of copying to and from NTFS )

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    So where do you store the virtual machine image?? Most use a separate partition but most of that is optional
    Thank, will sort that out. Now I remember what makes me worry. Before looking I am pretty sure it is stored in root.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Sigh! I just replied to this. But the forum redirected to the login page and lost everything.

The virtual machine image for KVM/libvirt will probably be in "/var/lib/libvirt/images".

Here's what I did on my system.

I used a separate disk, which I mount at "/shared". I created the directory "/shared/libvirt".
    I then shutdown libvirtd
    Code:
    systemctl stop libvirtd
    Then I moved the content of "/var/lib/libvirt to "/shared/libvirt"
    And I replace "/var/lib/libvirt" with a symbolic link.
    Code:
    ls -l /var/lib/libvirt
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Aug  4 07:17 /var/lib/libvirt -> /shared/libvirt
    So now my virtual machine images are not part of the root file system.

This might be my problem, I remember during the install of the virtual machine, I was asked if I wanted to use a different partition for something.
    Hardly knowing what I was doing, I probably did not create an extra partition.

If I understand things right, I need to make room on my windows disk, but I do not see that as a problem.
    Shrink the NTFS partition, format the created space to ext 4, and link to it ?

Bit off topic but this vid helped me.

Different types of SSD. From cheap to fastest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx0ynC8Thlw

Its been a while since I build this pc, but I clearly messed something up. Home should have been ext 4. (that was what i wanted, but clearly made a mistake)

Now how do I fix this mess?

I need to do a fresh install of tumbleweed ?

Wondering if I can copy my home to the windows disk ? In theory that should fit ?

Or use this and pray:

https://github.com/cosmos72/fstransform

Don't mess. Stick to KISS: Triple boot Tumbleweed, Leap and Windows 10:
    Code:
    i3-4130:~ # inxi -D 
    Drives:    Local Storage:total: 232.89 GiB used: 26.77 GiB (11.5%)  
               ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT250MX500SSD1 size: 232.89 GiB  
    i3-4130:~ # fdisk -l 
    Disk /dev/sda: 232.89 GiB, 250059350016 bytes, 488397168 sectors
    Disk model: CT250MX500SSD1   
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes 
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes 
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes 
    Disklabel type: gpt 
    Disk identifier: 3B04C452-DAD9-45C6-9BD3-AE398288F628 

Device    Start      End  Sectors  SizeType
    /dev/sda1       2048   1026047   1024000   500M EFI System 
    /dev/sda2    1026048 283596799 282570752 134.7G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sda3  283596800 385996799 102400000  48.8G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sda4  385996800 386029567     32768    16M Microsoft reserved 
    /dev/sda5  386029568 488396799 102367232  48.8G Microsoft basic data 
    i3-4130:~ # lsblk -f 
    NAME   FSTYPE FSVER LABEL      UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT 
    sda                                                                                 
    ├─sda1 vfat   FAT16            6B6D-1CDE                             471.7M     6% /boot/efi 
    ├─sda2 btrfs        tumbleweed 227128c2-8703-4859-a006-30dccf5b299c    107G    20% / 
    ├─sda3 btrfs        leap       85d405ec-d559-49a1-b59c-5c5c9f176724                 
    ├─sda4                                                                              
    └─sda5 ntfs                    FE06394606390167                                     
    i3-4130:~ #
    Btrfs is the most flexible and reliable solution. Backup and delete everything but EFI and Tumbleweed system partition. Grow Tumbleweed system to maximum and restore. Beware: Some users ignore btrfs documentation, start goofing with the file system and end up with a broken one.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

What I once did, was to create on the windows disk a folder called Linux, then copy all I wanted to keep from Linux to that folder.
    Then after formatting the Linux disk , copy it back. ( then check the rights, because the rights might get messed up, because of copying to and from NTFS )
    Is that the way you normally backup the contents of your /home file system?

And it looks like a strange thing to me to throw anything MS Windows in the solution when we are Linux (more special openSUSE) users here.

To get a (compressed) backup file of what is in /home, you could e.g. do
    Code:
    cd /home
    tar cvfz <some path to a file> *
    Where you should replace <some path to a file> by a place outside /home (logical, isn't it), in your case on another disk (e.g. a USB memory stick, might even be on a non-Linux file system, because all Linux things are inside the archive).

BTW people have the (not so bad) habit to add a suffix to the archive file name of .tar, or in the compressed case, .tar.gz

But of course most important is to find out first why your root partition has grown too much. Giving it more space will not stop growing and is only a sort of temporary by-pass and NOT a solution.
    Last edited by hcvv; 25-Sep-2021 at 00:58.
    Henk van Velden

Thank you but one small remark. I used openSUSE to create that folder called Linux on the windows disk, also the copying of the stuff was done by Linux. (Dolphin)
    So I used the disk were windows lives to store stuff, but not windows the operating system.

I am gonna use the commands you gave me to see if I can find why my root is too small.
    Good command-line exercise for me.

I am also looking at this:
    https://tweakers.net/solid-state-drives/vergelijken/

Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB. (sata 600)
    Samsung 970 Evo plus. 1TB (M2)
    Samsung 870 QVO 1TB (sata 600) only 79 euro.

The prices for SSD have gone down a lot since I build this pc. Windows won't get an SSD, the SSD will be for openSUSE.
    Even a sata 600 SSD will be an upgrade for me, gonna do some thinking if the extra money for an M2 is it worth for me.

But first gonna fix the real problem, I don't have any room left on the Linux disk, and because its xfs, I can't fix this.

So I will have to create room on the windows disk, to store the virtual machine files. (shrink the ntfs partition, then in the free room, create a Linux partition. I am however very tempted to format the Linux disk after backing up my stuff and then go brtfs.

I clearly messed up when I build this pc, because home should have been ext 4, and not xfs as it is now.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast