Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 99

Thread: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

  1. #11

    Default Re: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Checking my Tumbleweed system, I see that I am using around 10G for the root file system. You are using a lot more than that.

    Have you installed a lot of optional software?

    Maybe try (as root):
    Code:
    zypper clean
    There might be some leftovers in the package cache.

    You can find which file system by looking closely at the output of:
    Code:
    mount
    Zypper clean fixed it for now.

    But I clearly messed up when building this pc. Home xfs and root ext 4, I thought it was the other was around.

    I always install allot of extra software.

    Right now 4.1 gig free space on root.

  2. #12

    Default Re: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Changing drive types will not solve space problems on root. Faster drives are nice but do not fix space miss-allocation.

    If your home partition is XFS you can not reduce its size. XFS problem. Be certain on how all partitions are formatted before proceeding. Also you must reduce home and then move it to allow space for root to expand into.
    Its been a while since I build this pc, but I clearly messed something up. Home should have been ext 4. (that was what i wanted, but clearly made a mistake)

    Now how do I fix this mess?

    I need to do a fresh install of tumbleweed ?

    Wondering if I can copy my home to the windows disk ? In theory that should fit ?


    Or use this and pray:

    https://github.com/cosmos72/fstransform



  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,490

    Default Re: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

    Why do you want to change the file system of /home from xfs into ext4? What is the problem?

    When you really want this, you should off-load the data (which is not more then an extra backup), create a new ext4 file system on the partition and restore the data.
    Henk van Velden

  4. #14

    Default Re: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

    I would like to expand the root partition, because it seems to be small.
    To do this I need to shrink the home partition, and that seems to be a problem with xfs.

    If there is a better solution, to free up more space in root, I would love to hear it.
    Currently root has 4 gig free space, out of 24.1 gig. I made some progress, with help of this topic.


    How would I create an back up ? If its compressed I might be able to park that back up, on the windows disk ? (both hard disk in my pc are 1 gig)

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,490

    Default Re: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

    Several questions.

    Normally 24 Gb should be more then enough for an ext4 / file system. If you can not explain the space used by excessive installing software, then go and search. It is more instinct then real science.

    You friend is of course
    Code:
    du -sh
    or, when inside a directory
    Code:
    du -sh *
    Is /tmp a separate file system? When not check what is in there.
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    du -sh *
    Also logs can grow.

    As a last resort serach from the root:
    Code:
    cd /
    du -sh *
    when you see something very large then step to it and go on:
    Code:
    cd <large-dir>
    du -sh *
    And so on.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #16

    Default Re: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

    A good graphical tool to find out what eats up your storage is filelight.

    Code:
    sudo zypper in filelight
    start and have a closer look at /

    Best guess: Something is spamming your logs...
    Kind regards

    raspu

  7. #17

    Default Re: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Several questions.

    Normally 24 Gb should be more then enough for an ext4 / file system. If you can not explain the space used by excessive installing software, then go and search. It is more instinct then real science.

    You friend is of course
    Code:
    du -sh
    or, when inside a directory
    Code:
    du -sh *
    Is /tmp a separate file system? When not check what is in there.
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    du -sh *
    Also logs can grow.

    As a last resort serach from the root:
    Code:
    cd /
    du -sh *
    when you see something very large then step to it and go on:
    Code:
    cd <large-dir>
    du -sh *
    And so on.

    Thank you.

    I will see what I can find. The list of extra software, I probably know from the top of my head. LMMS,Carla, Audacity, QMMP, Blender, Mplayer, VLC, a Virtual machine, chrome and MAME. (I might forget a few I don't use often)

    I do wonder if that virtual machine is causing this, but that's a gut feeling, which I can't back up (yet? ) .

  8. #18

    Default Re: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    A good graphical tool to find out what eats up your storage is filelight.

    Code:
    sudo zypper in filelight
    start and have a closer look at /

    Best guess: Something is spamming your logs...
    Thank you

    Will have a look at that too.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,276

    Default Re: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

    Which VM?? VirtualBox saves images on home by default. Not sure about other brands??

  10. #20

    Default Re: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Which VM?? VirtualBox saves images on home by default. Not sure about other brands??
    Virtual machine manager met libvirt.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •