Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

Blog Entries

Default Re: Root partion is almost full 99 MB left

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    Bring in the Dancing girls.

Here is my old fstab:

Code:
    UUID=9c8140f9-0b81-41eb-ab94-d7342c38d218  /                       btrfs  defaults                      0  0
    UUID=9c8140f9-0b81-41eb-ab94-d7342c38d218  /var                    btrfs  subvol=/@/var                 0  0
    UUID=9c8140f9-0b81-41eb-ab94-d7342c38d218  /usr/local              btrfs  subvol=/@/usr/local           0  0
    UUID=9c8140f9-0b81-41eb-ab94-d7342c38d218  /srv                    btrfs  subvol=/@/srv                 0  0
    UUID=9c8140f9-0b81-41eb-ab94-d7342c38d218  /root                   btrfs  subvol=/@/root                0  0
    UUID=9c8140f9-0b81-41eb-ab94-d7342c38d218  /opt                    btrfs  subvol=/@/opt                 0  0
    UUID=9c8140f9-0b81-41eb-ab94-d7342c38d218  /home                   btrfs  subvol=/@/home                0  0
    UUID=9c8140f9-0b81-41eb-ab94-d7342c38d218  /boot/grub2/x86_64-efi  btrfs  subvol=/@/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi  0  0
    UUID=9c8140f9-0b81-41eb-ab94-d7342c38d218  /boot/grub2/i386-pc     btrfs  subvol=/@/boot/grub2/i386-pc  0  0
    UUID=11894929-a7f0-449b-88e1-bce7084cb1e9  swap                    swap   defaults                      0  0
    UUID=6d17eb33-51a2-4ed2-8cda-fe29e8fefa8c  swap                    swap   defaults                      0  0
    UUID=9c8140f9-0b81-41eb-ab94-d7342c38d218  /.snapshots             btrfs  subvol=/@/.snapshots          0  0
    UUID=3AB8-553F                             /boot/efi               vfat   utf8                          0  2
    I deleted that second swap partition line, because it has the uuid tumbleweed complains about.

After this Tumbleweed once again boots as fast as before.

( I copied the file to my desktop twices, named one fstabold, and changed the other one. Then used dolphin superuser mode to copy it back, and checked the rights and set them to root. I really need to learn to use the commandline for stuff like this. )
    Hi
    Nothing stopping you using a GUI editor..... since your on Plasma, try running;

Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/fstab
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Thank you, and I wonder about buying a Linux book or create a cheat sheet with commands.

Don't need to remember all options, there is man, for that.

There are so many books though, what would the right one, some suse book ? A bash book ?

Don't need a book about the Linux history, I already know most about that.
    If you have not seen it, google revolution os.

How a group of UNIX users (hackers), among them Richard Stallman, who did not like they could not share their stuff, because UNIX was (is?) propertary, one day met Linus Torvalt.

Then as Richard explains it in the vid, Linus had a kernel, and they had all the other tools to make an OS.
    They had already reversed engineered a lot of unix stuff as I understand it, but not the kernel.

ls, cd (which always reminds me of dos) and .. I can leave out, those I do remember.

How to open files with a text editor though on the command line.....

I never liked the cli, I hated it until I started to use Linux. I started to see its power. (and how a cli does not have to be as limited as the default cli on windows)

Desktops are very good at hiding stuff, which the cli does not.

If somebody knows a good book ?

Back to the leap / tumbleweed issue.
    I think I know what went wrong.

I did a rollback on tumbleweed on the ssd.
    I did this before I had installed Leap on sdb, (were before leap, tumbleweed was installed)
    Then after the install of leap, I booted tumbleweed and it complained about a missing swap.
    We can bet it was looking for the swap of the old tumbleweed install.

The next part should make people smile.
    I spend hours googling and searching for that missing UUID, until I realized the reason tumbeweed could not find it, because it did not exist.

Blog Entries

The next part should make people smile.
    I spend hours googling and searching for that missing UUID, until I realized the reason tumbeweed could not find it, because it did not exist.
    Hi
    It's all about the journey

I used as a test xdg-su... I'm on GNOME, change gedit for kate should work

Code:
    xdg-su -c "gedit /etc/fstab"

I tried and it does work, kate showed me fstab.

At least I was a bit on the right track. Reading the journal, was what I was googling for.
    But I could not find those lines I saw when hitting esc, while tumbleweed was starting. Plymoth loading and then a start job is running for /de/disk/uuid etc.

Blog Entries

I tried and it does work, kate showed me fstab.

At least I was a bit on the right track. Reading the journal, was what I was googling for.
    But I could not find those lines I saw when hitting esc, while tumbleweed was starting. Plymoth loading and then a start job is running for /de/disk/uuid etc.
    Hi
    So at grub if you need to do that on the fly, just temporarily add plymouth.enable=0 by pressing the e key to add to the grub linuxefi line.

We have a winner.

Virtual machine up and running again, and it should be using an extra partition on sdb. Not the root partition anymore like before.

It was quite a fight and I like to thank everybody for the help.

Still have a love / hate relation with computers. For those remembering my issues to make a bootable usb (leap 15.3) with suse image writer.

I also downloaded a gparted iso, and again used image writer.
    Not a single problem this time.

Installed win 10, clicked no 10 times.

Downloaded plarium play, so I even used edge for ones.

Then logged into the online game.

Lets hope I won' t be using gparted anytime soon. I will find out, if a 20 gig folder is big enough for that virtual machine.
    The Windows 10 iso is also in that extra 30 gig folder.

So I should hardly if any be using my ssd, for running the virtual machine.

Something I like to add.

Installing leap again on sdb, caused again a slow boot-up of tumbleweed on the ssd.

Same error as before it could not find a swap partition.

This time the fix was easy for me, find UUID and delete that line from fstab.

I suspect that on the install of tumbleweed it decided to use the swap partition from a different opensuse install on a different hard-disk (sdb).

I remember selecting to choose a separate swap partition, understanding btrfs better now, I should not have done this.
    That partitioner keeps finding ways of surprising me.
    I consider this a user error though. The installer tells you what its gonna do, so it probably told me it was gonna mount the swap of that other install.

With 15.5 (16)gig ram I am not worried about not having a swap partition though.

Blog Entries

Something I like to add.

Installing leap again on sdb, caused again a slow boot-up of tumbleweed on the ssd.

Same error as before it could not find a swap partition.

This time the fix was easy for me, find UUID and delete that line from fstab.

I suspect that on the install of tumbleweed it decided to use the swap partition from a different opensuse install on a different hard-disk (sdb).

I remember selecting to choose a separate swap partition, understanding btrfs better now, I should not have done this.
    That partitioner keeps finding ways of surprising me.
    I consider this a user error though. The installer tells you what its gonna do, so it probably told me it was gonna mount the swap of that other install.

With 15.5 (16)gig ram I am not worried about not having a swap partition though.
    Hi
    To avoid that issue on a second install, don't check the format box....

Thank you That makes sense.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910