Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 93 and newer editions will work slower with old hardware - no more OpenGL compositing

Angry Firefox 93 and newer editions will work slower with old hardware - no more OpenGL compositing

With Firefox 93 Mozilla is throwing away OpenGL compositing (rendering), only Webrender will stay.
    User will need compatible GPU, otherwise FF will use software Webrender.
    I cannot find exact data about Webrender system requirements. It worked on AMD Terascale 2 with OpenGL 3.3 support. Maybe it'll work with all AMD/ATI Terascale chips (Radeon HD 2000 series and newer), but not previous ones.

Another flaw: even with fully compatible GPU with slow CPU Webrender works slower than OpenGL compositing (~ 20% slower).
    Here for slow CPU I mean this: using FF loads CPU to 100% continuously.

You may use FF ESR (78, 91) for some time: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Calendar

Mozilla is eliminating desktop users.

Default Re: Firefox 93 and newer editions will work slower with old hardware - no more OpenGL compositing

Default Re: Firefox 93 and newer editions will work slower with old hardware - no more OpenGL compositing

Quoting from this bug:
    Code:
    We have never shipped the OpenGL compositor on Linux
    so I am really curious what this thread is about.

It worked for me.

Mozilla wrote wrong answer: 1731688 - OpenGL compositing works faster than Webrender, but is throwing away

At least I get system requirements for Webrender: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1731664

WebRender will work without hardware acceleration on all platforms.

WebRender requires D3D10.0 level hardware on desktop on OpenGL ES3 on mobile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL_ES

AMD Terascale and actual GCN-architecture (Windows, Linux)
    Nvidia (Android), Tesla G80+: Linux, Windows 7+
    Intel HD Graphics Sandy Bridge and higher (Linux)

FF ESR 91.x uses OpenGL renderer with additional force enablings and disablings. And OpenGL renderer works faster than software Webrender.
    Previously I mentioned that OpenGL renderer works faster than hardware Webrender (at least in some cases).
    Adding here unusable for desktops Proton interface, which I cannot disable. OK, I can disable it, but after that FF becomes even more unusable.

So I wonder: what they are doing there, in Mozilla?

Is it better with Chrome? Does it still use OpenGL? Maybe it's just difficult to mantain and that's why Firefox is dropping it.
    I'm just speculating here I have no idea actually why they are doing this
    Best regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glistwan View Post
    Is it better with Chrome? Does it still use OpenGL? Maybe it's just difficult to mantain and that's why Firefox is dropping it.
    I'm not using Chrome.
    Mozilla directress set huge salary for herself. She needs to proclaim old projects being useless, and her projects being outstanding.
    Some Mozilla projects were abandoned, some developers were fired. FF market share declines speedily.
    Perestroika-era improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by glistwan View Post
    Mozilla is falling apart.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Mozilla is falling apart.
    That started at the inception of the Mozilla Suite replacement by Firefox. At least what made SeaMonkey good mostly still makes it better. FF UI has really been degraded since Chrome was born for FF to emulate. Because my primary browser is (2 versions of) SeaMonkey, my primary FF profile remains at ESR52, used only for specific purposes where the UI matters more than security.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, TW, 15.3 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia, Fedora, Debian, more on Kaby Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia &&&&&

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast