Thread: Dell Latitude 5421 doesn't shutdown, gets stuck at a blank screen.

Unhappy Dell Latitude 5421 doesn't shutdown, gets stuck at a blank screen.

When I shutdown/restart/hibernate my Laptop, it gets stuck at a black screen, after the openSUSE boot logo.
    When pressed Esc on the boot logo screen I could see "Reached target power-off" and then the blank screen shows up.
    In the blank screen Esc doesn't work.

This happens sometimes only. I have to force shutdown it by long-pressing the power button.

Is there anyway to identify the issue?

I have also tried
    Code:
    reboot -f
    but even this doesn't work.
    The BIOS is already updated, it's the latest.

System Specs:

Kernel: 5.3.18-59.19-default
    Shell: bash 4.4.23
    DE: KDE
    WM: KWin
    WM Theme: plastik
    Theme: Breeze Dark [KDE], Breeze [GTK2/3]
    Icons: breeze-dark [KDE], breeze-dark [GTK2/3]
    CPU: 11th Gen Intel i7-11850H (16) @ 4.800GHz
    GPU: Intel TigerLake-H GT1 [UHD Graphics]
    Memory: 15726MiB

Default Re: Dell Latitude 5421 doesn't shutdown, gets stuck at a blank screen.

Is there any solution for this???
    Or how to understand whats going on here.

I really liked opensuse but because of this issue I had to move to Fedora, which works flawlessly.

Too new hardware for Leap 15.3.
    Try to use kernel from kernel:stable:backport repo.
    You may also update Mesa 3D or use X11:Xorg repo as source for system packages.
    Or use TW.

Try uninstalling Plymouth, see if that helps. If not, and you like it, you can always reinstall Plymouth. Personally, I remove Plymouth from all machines and, since I like seeing the scrolling system setting itself up (looks so much more powerful), I use the following as my boot parameters (after the "resume=" entry, plus I have nothing in front of that entry):
    Code:
     splash=verbose showopts
    Those are the only two parameters in the boot line.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Personally, I remove Plymouth from all machines
    Code:
     splash=verbose showopts
    "splash" option is interpreted by Plymouth, if you do not have it, why do you need this option? "showopts" was interpreted by grub1 and so it is pretty useless today.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    "splash" option is interpreted by Plymouth, if you do not have it, why do you need this option? "showopts" was interpreted by grub1 and so it is pretty useless today.
    Thanks. Was not aware of that, think I used the splash setting to eliminate Plymouth back in the days before I knew it was safe to completely remove Plymouth.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Blog Entries

Note what Svyatko recommended. IMHO you need a more recent kernel to avoid this issue.

I had similar symptoms with my Lenovo X1 Carbon generation-9 (X1C9) laptop which also has a TigerLake CPU (1165G7). Further, if one looks at the Lenovo Linux support forum one will read of many users of different Linux distros suffering the same issue with this Lenovo X1C9 due to its TigerLake CPU and Iris graphics. This includes OLDER Fedora version users (but not the most recent Fedora version users).

The solution was a kernel upgrade - where in my case I upgraded the kernel from the default openSUSE-5.3.18 to a more cutting edge 5.14.11 from the kernel : stable : backport repositories (which was a Svyatko recommendation I followed).

After upgrading to that kernel, I also updated the intel-media-driver from 20.3.0 version that comes with LEAP-15.3 to a community 21.2.3 as there are many updates for TigerLake CPU's with Iris graphics between those two app versions.

Note Fedora Rawhide has something like a 5.15 kernel, and Fedora-34 has a 5.11.12 kernel, all of which are much more recent than the 5.3.18 kernel that comes with openSUSE LEAP-15.3. .... I think I am a very very conservative person, and typically I am one-version behind in update (all of my home computers (my old laptop and 2 desktops) are all running LEAP-15.2). I dislike going for the newest software. But even I recognize with new hardware such as TigerLake, one needs much newer system apps than what are in a normal openSUSE LEAP version. So for my Lenovo X1C9 I went with LEAP-15.3 + selected more cutting edge system apps.

.. so I believe your choices are to install LEAP-15.3 and then pick and choose selected more up to date cutting edge system apps (such as kernel) to make your TigerLake device work better, or simply go for openSUSE Tumbleweed.

Last edited by oldcpu; 28-Oct-2021 at 20:45.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    After upgrading to that kernel, I also updated the intel-media-driver from 20.3.0 version that comes with LEAP-15.3 to a community 21.2.3 as there are many updates for TigerLake CPU's with Iris graphics between those two app versions.
    intel-media-driver-21.3.4-lp153.39.1.x86_64.rpm
    intel-media-driver-32bit-21.3.4-lp153.39.1.x86_64.rpm

Code:
    zypper addrepo https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:XOrg/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/X11:XOrg.repo
    zypper refresh
    zypper install intel-media-driver

...I like Dell hardware, too. But I always buy 2-3 year old machines (returning from leasing, big companys etc.). Good enough, normally I use it then for 10-15 years.

Except for NVIDIA-card overheating and killing two desktops (with TW) I never had any problems with dying hardware and you safe a lot of money ;-)
    Kind regards

raspu