Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desktop freezing.

Default Re: Desktop freezing.

Small update. I have looked in my bios, and it seems I can't update the bios through the internet. (for bios drivers I can, but not for the bios)
    I need to download the bios to an usb stick, and then in the bios (UEFI) use the instant flash function.

Right now gonna see were to find the right bios, on the asrock site.

https://asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M%20Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

2. Improve USB compatibility
    Happy thoughts, this will fix it. to be continued.

You're using HDD for a system disk.
    Use NVMe SSD instead.

I made some progress on finding the right bios version. The asrock site has a weird warning, basically saying I can't use the newer bios versions.

I am on version 3.6 and 3.5 seems to be the highest version I should use.

Although, I am not optimistic about this fixing it, I will downgrade my bios form version 3.6 to 3.5

3.5 seems to be the highest version for Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU.
    My Ryzen 5 2600 is one of those.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M%...index.asp#BIOS

Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3

* Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL" or a later version before updating to this BIOS.
    ** If you updated the BIOS before updating the AMD all in one driver, please refer to the Display recovery SOP to recover your system.
    *** User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.
    **** If the current BIOS version is older than P2.00, please update BIOS to P2.00(PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.6) before updating this version.
    They must like to make things complicated. The all in one part is totally not relevant for me, because I don't have an APU.
    The last time, I updated my bios it was this site, telling me I should use 3.6.

When I googled wtf AGESA is about, I did see usb was mentioned too besides allot of other stuff.
    Happy thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    You're using HDD for a system disk.
    Use NVMe SSD instead.
    Yes there are two HDD but I do not understand the NVMe part of your reply.

I have also been asking about this problem on a Duch Forum called Tweakers. (good forum for hardware related questions, a bit less for Linux related issues)

What I need to do is a bios downgrade, to version 3.5 (from 3.6)

Official bios 3.6 and up do not support my cpu.

Another cause of this problem, could be my memory.

It seems my gsklill memory and my ryzen 5 cpu are known for having issues.

Fun fact:
    Somebody on tweakers asked, if I by any change was using exactly the gskill memory I am using.

Typing this on bios version, 3.6, and its been 4 days since the last freeze.

Something else to try, is to not manual change the memory speed. My motherboard does not recognize this memory as 3000 mhz memory.
    I already knew this when building this pc, Tweakers told me to adjust the speed manual.

So a bios downgrade, and then leave the memory speed as my motherboard recognizes it, are the first two things to try.
    Then maybe replace the memory if that does not fix it.

I am getting more and more convinced this is an hardware issue, and not a Linux issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    When I googled wtf AGESA is about, I did see usb was mentioned too besides allot of other stuff.
    Happy thoughts ?
    You're using wrong google: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=AGESA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGESA

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    Something else to try, is to not manual change the memory speed. My motherboard does not recognize this memory as 3000 mhz memory.
    I already knew this when building this pc, Tweakers told me to adjust the speed manual.

So a bios downgrade, and then leave the memory speed as my motherboard recognizes it, are the first two things to try.
    Then maybe replace the memory if that does not fix it.

I am getting more and more convinced this is an hardware issue, and not a Linux issue.
    Change motherboard: use Asus, or, maybe, Gigabyte.

Blog Entries

After the BIOS reversion from 3.6 to 3.5, run memtest86 (not memtest86+) for the greater of 4 passes or 10 hours to verify RAM is unlikely your problem. If RAM is or may be problem, investigate whether it should tolerate raising its voltage.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, TW, 15.3 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia, Fedora, Debian, more on Kaby Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia &&&&&

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    Change motherboard: use Asus, or, maybe, Gigabyte.
    It's funny that you mention this. Although this is my first Asrock mobo, I doubt I will ever get an Asrock again.

This is also my first UEFI motherboard and I never had this many issues, already when building this pc.

Before this I had an Asus motherboard, and the sound was a tiny bit better. Not that the sound from the asrock is bad but still.

It was also more stable, and during the build I ran in to a problem, I could not fix, and also everybody online was wtf ?

I am not sure is asrock is to blame for that problem, but the trouble I had to install win10 with UEFI.

Then after install, I had to change a bios setting, and set it to legacy to not have some weird screen on boot-up. Installing my main os Linux, was not a problem at all.

There might be other people totally happy with asrock, but I am not. I also found people online using Linux and Asrock and it seems Linux and Asrock are not always an happy marriage.

I might change the mobo, instead of replacing the memory, something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    After the BIOS reversion from 3.6 to 3.5, run memtest86 (not memtest86+) for the greater of 4 passes or 10 hours to verify RAM is unlikely your problem. If RAM is or may be problem, investigate whether it should tolerate raising its voltage.
    Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast