Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: battery not recognized in Fujitsu Lifebook

Default Re: battery not recognized in Fujitsu Lifebook

Of the various suggestions, I first tried to add the acpi_osi boot parameter, because this seemed to be least disruptive.

I checked which Windows osi strings are available:
    Code:
    > sudo strings /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT |grep -i windows
    [sudo] Passwort für root:
    Windows 2001
    Windows 2001 SP1
    Windows 2001 SP2
    Windows 2001.1
    Windows 2006
    Windows 2009
    Windows 2012
    Windows 2013
    Windows 2015
    and tested all of them, but in none of the cases there was any change in the outcome: no battery is detected even when booting with the acpi_osi strings.

So, next step would be to use a more recent kernel, as suggested. I think, using a Tumbleweed Live stick might be the next possible step. Let's see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    Possibly too new hardware for 5.9 kernel.
    Try to use TW or Leap with kernel from Kernel:stable:Backport repo.
    Now I tried the Tumbleweed KDE Live snapshot 20210916: but still the battery is not detected. This snapshot uses kernel version 5.14.2-1. Inside Tumbleweed the same symptoms (dmesg line for battery shows "battery absent", upower -d does not show a battery) appear. So, I gues there is no reason to get a more recent kernel version than the 5.3.18-59.19 that's installed.

Do you have any other suggestions? Do you need more specific information?

Can only suggest creating bug report.

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    Can only suggest creating bug report.
    Well, yes, that might be necessary - but where? Fujitsu only certifies for Windows, so they will most certainly not handle requests from Linux users. On the other hand, we are not even sure what causes the problem, hardware, kernel, some other software ... I would prefer to know more about the reasons for this missing function.
    So, I am somehow lost ...

In fact, the test results that I posted in the original post seem to indicate that acpi once detects the AC adapter's state during boot, but then never reacts to any changes (unplugging or reinserting adapter). Why?
    Also, it seems to check once for the battery in slot BAT1 - shouldn't this be BAT0 in the first place (there is only one battery in the Lifebook) - and nothing else.
    Is there a command to force checking the status from the running system?

Quote Originally Posted by BerndSpeiser View Post
    I would prefer to know more about the reasons for this missing function.
    The reason for this missing function is mismatch between what kernel expects and what hardware says. To know more you need to be familiar with kernel code that does it. To reach someone who is familiar with this code one possibility is to open bug report. You could of course try kernel development mailing lists (I would say linux-acpi@vger.kernel.org) as well.
    but where?
    You could check vanilla kernel (http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...illa/standard/) and if the problem is present there (likely), go to https://bugzilla.kernel.org/.

Thanks for the links. Maybe I'll try the mailing list first.

For installing the vanilla kernel, can you give some advice?
    I am usually using Yast for software installation. In this case, I would add the repository to my list, select the multiversion packages, and install the vanilla version in addition to the previously installed version (at present 5.3.18-59.19.1-x86_64 and 5.3.18-59.24.1-x86_64 (after doing a backup of the machine first, of course). In zypp.conf I keep kernel versions as:
    Code:
    multiversion.kernels = latest,latest-1,running
    Should I comment this line for the time of testing?
    Any other recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by BerndSpeiser View Post
    For installing the vanilla kernel, can you give some advice?
    I am usually using Yast for software installation. In this case, I would add the repository to my list, select the multiversion packages, and install the vanilla version in addition to the previously installed version (at present 5.3.18-59.19.1-x86_64 and 5.3.18-59.24.1-x86_64 (after doing a backup of the machine first, of course). In zypp.conf I keep kernel versions as:
    Code:
    multiversion.kernels = latest,latest-1,running
    Should I comment this line for the time of testing?
    Any other recommendations?
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Keep_mul...ernel_versions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12