Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Change BTRFS partiton sizes

Default Change BTRFS partiton sizes

I installed leap 15.3 on a 1 terabyte hard-disk. This gave me a home of about 600 gig ext4, and a root of over 300 gig for root BTRFS.

This was almost what I wanted.

I would like to change that to about 60 - 200 gig for root, looking for advice on the size, and add a ext 4 partition for a virtual machine, and also increase the size of home.

Question 1: Can I do this with tumbleweed also present on this pc? (different hard disk)

I already started yast on tumbleweed and had a look, but I can't find the shrink option ? Do I need to check format that partition for that option to appear ?

Question 2. How big does a folder for a virtual machine need to be ? is 30 gig enough ?

(Just for info pc is now triple boot, Leap, Tumbleweed and windows10, all have their own hard disk)

Default Re: Change BTRFS partiton sizes

Because I can't edit my last post, I will do it this way.

I am gonna have a look at the BTRFS tools and do some more reading.

Keep seeing on the net when I google BTRFS, it should even be possible to do it live. ( but not how to do it)

Might just try some more with the yast partitioner. There is not realy something to loose if I mess up, besides a leap install.

I think I found it:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...trfs-partition

btrfs filesystem resize -500m to shrink orbtrfs filesystem resize +500m to expand

That changes the file system NOT the partition.

Thank you, but I am now even more lost then before.

In english, I just want my home partiton (ext4) bigger and the btrfs partition ? smaller.

Out of my 1 terrabyte disk space, now the btrfs part is about 350 gig (root) . I would like to take of at least 100gig.

I am starting to get a btrfs headache.

https://access.redhat.com/documentat...resizing-btrfs

It is not possible to resize a btrfs file system but it is possible to resize each of the devices it uses. If there is only one device in use then this works the same as resizing the file system. If there are multiple devices in use then they must be manually resized to achieve the desired result.
    I got into trouble because my home was xfs, now I have the same problem with btrfs ?

I am tempted to reinstall leap and just use ext4. Then i atleast can change stuff when I want too.

I will give this a second try.

As long as you evidently do not understand the difference between a partitions and a file syetm, it will be very difficult to communicate with you. Please read and understand: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB%3ABasics...,_mount_points
    Henk van Velden

Note what you ask is to resize the partitions. In order to do so the file system in the partition must also be resized. The XFS file system can not be reduced in size thus a partition containing the XFS file system can not be reduced. Other file systems do not have this limitation. Also note you can only add and remove space to a partition at the ends. thus once you reduce the size of root you yo will have to move home to the end of root before adding space to homes end. This of corse all depends on the current geometry of the disk you can see this via fdisk -l and note the sectors used for each partition.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    .... Also note you can only add and remove space to a partition at the ends.....
    I assume you wanted to say "Also note you can only add and remove space to a file system at the ends"

Partitions are just numbers in the partition table. Every time you change those numbers, there are partitions that may or may not be on the same place (or on the same starting point and/or same endpoint) as they were in the table before the change. Thus it is easy enough to alter the starting point of a partition end keeping the same end (and it still having the same partition number). How useful such an action is depends very much on the goal. But when the goal is to follow the decrease or to precede the increase of the file system inside, then moving a starting point is a nono..
    Henk van Velden

Thank you guys.

I am getting totally frustrated and annoyed, because I can't find an answer. The link from hcvv might answer why though.
    I am probably not asking the right question.

I am also gonna download gparted, that fixed for me some issue with the installer of opensuse before.
    Me not being able to explain the installer how I want the harddisk formatted.

I just installed leap again, and again ended up with a way to big root partition, although this time ext4.
    I will have to dive deeper into the expert settings of the installer or use gparted and then install leap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast