Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: unable to boot UEFI leap 15.3 after reinstallation of leap 15.3

Default unable to boot UEFI leap 15.3 after reinstallation of leap 15.3

I have read lots of post for 15.3 and tumbleweed, but Im unsure as to how to fix my system, so please forgive yet another post on something that has already been asked.
    I was able to install leap 15.3 on my drive, after install I was able to do reboots and had no problems booting into it, but after reinstalling 15.3 (dont ask why) on the same drive I'm now unable to get my BIOS to recognize the UEFI partitions, on both occasions of install I did check the "update NVRAM" box on 15.3. As a test I erased the drive and installed leap 15.2 in UEFI and had no problems booting into it, erased drive again and tried for a third time 15.3, but nothing, the only way to get into 15.3 is to use the DVD and select "boot from hard drive" from there I was able to run blkid and efibootmgr

efibootmgr -v
    BootCurrent: 0001
    BootOrder: 0001
    Boot0001* UEFI: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BT30N

For some reason Boot0001 points to my CDROM

blkid consists of 4 paritions
    /dev/nvme1p1: UID"HAS VALUE" Block_Size="4096" Type="VFAT+ PARTUUID="HAS VALUE"
    /dev/nvme1p2: UID"HAS VALUE" Type="LVM2_member" PARTUUID="HAS VALUE"
    /dev/mapper/system-root
    /dev/mapper/system-swap

Sorry if blkid is not complete but the computer with issue has no internet access yet

Blog Entries

Default Re: unable to boot UEFI leap 15.3 after reinstallation of leap 15.3

You have not provided much information.

I will make a wild guess. This could be due to the pmbr_boot flag. Some BIOS will not use UEFI on a disk where that flag is set.

You can do a google search for "pmbr_boot" which should give some useful information. It might be sufficient to go into Yast Boot Loader, and change something (I usually change the timeout by 1 second). Make sure that it is using "grub2 for EFI". And make sure that the "Protective MBR flag" is set to "remove". When you save the changes, it should reinstall booting, and clear that flag.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You have not provided much information.

I will make a wild guess. This could be due to the pmbr_boot flag. Some BIOS will not use UEFI on a disk where that flag is set.

You can do a google search for "pmbr_boot" which should give some useful information. It might be sufficient to go into Yast Boot Loader, and change something (I usually change the timeout by 1 second). Make sure that it is using "grub2 for EFI". And make sure that the "Protective MBR flag" is set to "remove". When you save the changes, it should reinstall booting, and clear that flag.
    What other info do you need?

Following https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000019468 for pmbr in my case it was set to off, if I set to on then I cant boot into OS through DVD, set flag back to off. Using the DVD to get into OS I verified my timeout is set to default 8 sec, was set to grub 2 for EFI, set Protective flag to remove, did a efibootmgr -v and found a new Boot0000* which pointed to "opensuse" deleted Boot0001* which points to DVD, reboot system and still cant get in

What I dont understand is why I was able to boot into 15.3 after a clean install from 15.2, but after reinstalling 15.3 on same drive I cant? Never did any updates and haven't changed any setting in BIOS so whats different

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jayrbm View Post
    What I dont understand is why I was able to boot into 15.3 after a clean install from 15.2, but after reinstalling 15.3 on same drive I cant? Never did any updates and haven't changed any setting in BIOS so whats different
    I don't know the answer to that.

One change is with "shim". The "shim" for Leap 15.2 used the openSUSE certificate, while the "shim" for Leap 15.3 uses the SUSE certificate. Possibly your BIOS (UEFI firmware) is remembering too much.

We have seen reports of cases where the BIOS does not recognize an nvme device, so the EFI partition cannot be on such a device. But you claim this worked with Leap 15.2, so that should not be the issue.

Does your BIOS have an option to reset to factory defaults? Maybe that would clear out the problem -- or maybe not.

I don't know the answer to that.

But you claim this worked with Leap 15.2, so that should not be the issue.

Does your BIOS have an option to reset to factory defaults? Maybe that would clear out the problem -- or maybe not.
    I have tried already resetting my bios, even shorted pins and removed battery and it didn't make any difference, BIOS still doesn't see any partitions for 15.3.

And yes, I have been using this hard drive that now has 15.3 with 15.2 for over a year, 15.2 was set to UEFI with SB.

Do you think it might be the due to the new "update NVR" box in the installation process on 15.3? that box is not on 15.2

Blog Entries

Do you think it might be the due to the new "update NVR" box in the installation process on 15.3? that box is not on 15.2
    No, I don't think so. If you leave that box checked (which is the default), the result should be the same as with Leap 15.2.

What computer is this? I'm thinking it has a poor implementation of UEFI.

I'm thinking it has a poor implementation of UEFI.
    I do not see any evidence of it so far. As OP said
    I have tried already resetting my bios, even shorted pins and removed battery
    which explains why no boot entries were present originally. And after rerunning YaST bootloader module
    found a new Boot0000* which pointed to "opensuse"
    So at least this part worked. But we have only vague
    still cant get in
    so no conclusion can be made. What "cant get in" means?

We need full description of what happens after power on, what appears on screen, what was entered and what errors are shown and when.

I have read lots of post for 15.3 and tumbleweed, but Im unsure as to how to fix my system, so please forgive yet another post on something that has already been asked.
    I was able to install leap 15.3 on my drive, after install I was able to do reboots and had no problems booting into it, but after reinstalling 15.3 (dont ask why) on the same drive I'm now unable to get my BIOS to recognize the UEFI partitions, on both occasions of install I did check the "update NVRAM" box on 15.3. As a test I erased the drive and installed leap 15.2 in UEFI and had no problems booting into it, erased drive again and tried for a third time 15.3, but nothing, the only way to get into 15.3 is to use the DVD and select "boot from hard drive" from there I was able to run blkid and efibootmgr ...
    On my machines I ran several times into a similar problem with efi boots being deleted. I always succeeded by selecting "Load Optimized Defaults". Upon leaving EFI and booting the missing boots were restored.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    And after rerunning YaST bootloader module
    found a new Boot0000* which pointed to "opensuse"
    So at least this part worked.
    This shows output after running Yast bootloader. But is that entry still there after reboot? We don't know that -- we only know that it doesn't work on reboot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast