Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: record from TV

Default Re: record from TV

Your best option is to use youtube-dl, as malcolm suggested. You get the best possible version available from youtube, without recording eventual playback glitches on your screen.

About recording to USB, you can't. Part of the agreement of manufacturers and content right owners is that you can't record from a smart TV (or Bluray) to something that can be copied. The USB port is there only for media playback, sometimes only as a service port. Some devices allow you to record to an internal drive, but you can't copy it, only play it back on the very same device.

Again, anything that allow you to record a DRM'd stream, removing the DRM in the process, is illegal (think dvdcss). Some computer magazine authors say it is a gray area, but not really.

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    Your best option is to use youtube-dl, as malcolm suggested.
    You'll also get the audio right, and if you want you can re-encode it - with avidemux if you want a GUI, for example.

Blog Entries

About recording to USB, you can't. Part of the agreement of manufacturers and content right owners is that you can't record from a smart TV (or Bluray) to something that can be copied. The USB port is there only for media playback, sometimes only as a service port. Some devices allow you to record to an internal drive, but you can't copy it, only play it back on the very same device.
    Sort, that is just nonsense. I do it all the time with my smart TV (with FTA programs). What might be true is that different jurisdictions may constrain what is allowed in certain countries.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Sort, that is just nonsense. I do it all the time with my smart TV (with FTA programs). What might be true is that different jurisdictions may constrain what is allowed in certain countries.
    So you can record FTA programs, OK, they are probably not DRM'd as I believe I mentioned in one of the posts above. But AFAIK you can't record a DRM'd one, like a cable channel. Or can you? And not to an internal drive in your TV, but to an external stick you can transfer to a computer and watch the recording.

I did download the file from youtube. I copied small sections using simplescreenrecorder. I saved the resulting files as mp4. One neighbor gets no audio; others get full version of the performance. I suspect it has to do with her cellphone, not the recording. What other format would you suggest I save the recordings in?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prexy View Post
    I did download the file from youtube. I copied small sections using simplescreenrecorder. I saved the resulting files as mp4. One neighbor gets no audio; others get full version of the performance. I suspect it has to do with her cellphone, not the recording. What other format would you suggest I save the recordings in?
    Hi
    Use a proper video editor, or convert with the likes of handbrake
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

So you can record FTA programs, OK, they are probably not DRM'd as I believe I mentioned in one of the posts above. But AFAIK you can't record a DRM'd one, like a cable channel. Or can you? And not to an internal drive in your TV, but to an external stick you can transfer to a computer and watch the recording.
    Well the OP is referring to a local community TV channel so I doubt DRM comes into it at all.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234