Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: record from TV

Default record from TV

Many of my neighbors were in a community choral performance that will soon be shown on our local origination (community) channel. I want to record it on my pc to edit parts for each of them to keep. I have a couple of screen recorders in Tumbleweed. I have a Chromecast dongle. I can send media TO the TV but I want to get a signal to go the other way: TV to PC.

I tried recording the TV screen with my cellphone but it picks up the scan line that's invisible to human watchers! It's a black band, about 20% of the screen, that slowly rolls through the picture. I'm afraid it will block out my big solo!

Anything I can do on the phone, tv or pc that will make this work?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Default AW: record from TV

Is the program not streamed in the Internet?

Than install and use vokoscreenNG
    Last edited by Sauerland; 10-Sep-2021 at 23:04.

Default Re: AW: record from TV

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Is the program not streamed in the Internet?

Than install and use vokoscreenNG
    We live in a retirement community. We have a local origination channel on our community cable offerings. Performances by residents are recorded and shown on the cable channel, but not on the internet. I was hoping Chromecast might have an option to view on the pc so I could use vokoscreen. Unfortunately, I don't see such an option.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Default Re: record from TV

Some TVs come with a USB option for saving programs to replay. If they use the MPEG streaming format, you can not only retain them as long as the USB holds out but also copy them to a computer and convert them to another format.

I'm afraid your task may be difficult. You want to get the TV signal into your PC, right? Unless you have a TV tuner card the culprit isn't your PC but rather the TV. I assume it's not a "smart" TV? In that case you could either add an external HDD / SSD and use the TV for recording or even start a upnp server to stream the program to your PC.
    You might try some hardware based solution. Does your TV set provide any "output" ports that might be used? Or buy / borrow a TV tuner card.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    Some TVs come with a USB option for saving programs to replay. If they use the MPEG streaming format, you can not only retain them as long as the USB holds out but also copy them to a computer and convert them to another format.
    Most modern "Smart TVs" have such an option.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prexy View Post
    We live in a retirement community. We have a local origination channel on our community cable offerings. Performances by residents are recorded and shown on the cable channel, but not on the internet. I was hoping Chromecast might have an option to view on the pc so I could use vokoscreen. Unfortunately, I don't see such an option.
    Hi
    Is this a Free to Air channel or via cable?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Most modern "Smart TVs" have such an option.
    But record can be played only on TV that records it.
    Someone may hack TV's firmware to get unciphered record.
    So make your record with smartphone or get it from another recorders.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    But record can be played only on TV that records it.
    Nonsense, most allow USB recording. I do it all the time with my Samsung smart TV.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Nonsense, most allow USB recording. I do it all the time with my Samsung smart TV.
    Just for the record and because I was really p...d-off some OT: We have a satelite dish and when we moved into this house 10 years agot we bought a brand new LG "smart" TV. I could not get it to work recording to USB. After searching some forum and contacting the "support" via a horrific contact page the result was: We do not support recording from sat in Germany (but anywhere else). Never mind, eventually I gave it away to a friend and will never buy that brand of TV again.
    Sorry for the OT! However, in order to provide any help we need information from Prexy what TV he is using and what options the hardware (and then probably any) software are.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast