To scroll a window left-right with keyboard

Does anyone know how to do this in KDE? I searched but I’m not even certain I’m using the correct words. To me, I want to “scroll” a window left & right.

Normally, you do this by grabbing the slider at the window right or bottom with the mouse and dragging in the direction you want. The mouse wheel usually defaults to up & down window scrolling.

I’m currently working with Audacity and Kdenlive that have wide left-to-right timelines of work that extend far past the screen edges. I want to be able to scroll left and right quickly from the keyboard as I work.

Anyone know how?

I tried with a Firefox window in KDE.

Scolling with the mouse wheel: up and down.
Scrollng the mouse wheel with Shift pressed: left and right

Using the arrows pad on the keyboard: left-arrow moves windows content to the left
same for right
same for up
same for down

Rather logical to me and not difficult to test.

Edit: I assume that that works for sliders provided by the window (manager). When the application itself provides the sliders, it may depend on the application.

E.g. in my Kmail, the up-dow arrows work on a mail in the mail part, but the left-right arrows do not work in the Folders part at left.

I spoke too soon. Sorry for that.

The sliders in the Firefox case are sliders provided by Firefox (not by the window manager).

Thus the answer should be: it depends complete on the program.

Another example is Konsole. The vertical slider that lets you scroll through the lines above what you see, is driven by the mouse wheel, The up-down arrows are used to re-call shell commands from the command history.

Thus it is all application dependent.

With Audacity go to Menu > Edit > Preferences > Keyboard. See also Keyboard_Shortcut_Reference at https://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Keyboard_Shortcut_Reference

Another question on this line: is there a way to adjust the size of the window sliders in KDE?

There are a few different choices for “Application Style” in System Settings. Some have larger sliders. But I would rather just make the default Breeze style sliders wider.

I run a 32 inch, 2560x1440 px monitor, so I have lots of screen space and pixels to work with.

I once did some changes to those scrollbars (the chages are still active. And (very important) I made some notes.

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/533904-KDE-themes-and-widgits-and-whatnots-Scroll-bar-width-in-Firefox-and-LibreOffice/page3

This is the file I created:

henk@boven:~> cat .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
scrollbar, scrollbar button, scrollbar slider {
  -GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: 1;
  -GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: 1;
  min-width: 10px;
  min-height: 10px;
}
henk@boven:~> 

I am not sure what they all do, but the min-with and min-height meybe something you need.