Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon ultrabook to replace my old Toshiba Z930 ultrabook

Default AW: Looking to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon ultrabook to replace my old Toshiba Z930 ultrabook

You can use kernel:stable:backports Repo for an 5.14 kernel on Leap 15.3:
    Code:
    uname -a && lsb-release -id
    Linux linux64 5.14.7-lp153.6.g4c70286-default #1 SMP Fri Sep 24 06:16:58 UTC 2021 (4c70286) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Distributor ID: openSUSE
    Description:    openSUSE Leap 15.3

Blog Entries

Default Re: AW: Looking to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon ultrabook to replace my old Toshiba Z930 ultrabook

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    You can use kernel:stable:backports Repo for an 5.14 kernel on Leap 15.3:
    Code:
    uname -a && lsb-release -id
    Linux linux64 5.14.7-lp153.6.g4c70286-default #1 SMP Fri Sep 24 06:16:58 UTC 2021 (4c70286) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Distributor ID: openSUSE
    Description:    openSUSE Leap 15.3
    Thanks .... Is this the repos here ?
    Code:
    https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable:/Backport/standard/x86_64/
    I am not recently familiar with backports (its been over a decade since I last used a kernel that is 'newer' than the slower officially provided/supported kernels with an already produced openSUSE distro ... ).

It doesn't specifically mention "LEAP-15.3" in that repository 'URL' so looking at that directory I couldn't confirm it would work with 15.3 - hence I am curious if I have that repos link correct.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon ultrabook to replace my old Toshiba Z930 ultrabook

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Its not clear to me yet exactly what graphic driver it will use, although I have read that it will quite possibly take advantage of the 'intel-media-driver' if installed. I read:
    The Intel Media Driver for VAAPI is a new VA-API (Video Acceleration API) user mode driver supporting hardware accelerated decoding, encoding, and video post processing for GEN based graphics hardware.
    A clarification on this (wrt my present understanding, while waiting for this Lenovo to arrive (in about 1 week's time)), where what I have read is the graphics on this Lenovo will likely use the i915 kernel module, and I note ( a copy/paste from what I read elsewhere on the internet) for the difference between the i915 kernel module and the 'intel-media-driver' :
    i915 is name of kernel module that talks to GPU hardware. It is used for many different things - controlling output signals to monitor, submitting 3d/rendering commands, memory management, etc.

intel-media-driver is package of libraries that application use for hardware accelerated video processing, encoding & decoding. ie such as "mp4 playback" or "youtube videos". To do its work it talks to i915 module in kernel to access hardware

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon ultrabook to replace my old Toshiba Z930 ultrabook

Getting audio to work may need some effort, as I think it will require sof-firmware, which is packaged for openSUSE-LEAP-15.2 and Tumbleweed, but not for openSUSE-LEAP-15.3 (from what I can determine).
    Researching this further, I learned sof-firmware is packaged for openSUSE LEAP-15.3 as sof-firmware-1.6.1-2.9. However in the experimental and community respositories, one can download sof-firmware-1.8.

So I asked myself, what is the difference? After surfing I found on git-hub a description of the sof-firmware changes between versions: https://github.com/thesofproject/sof/releases

My understanding is the core-i7-1167G7 CPU on the Lenovo X1 Carbon gen-9 that I have ordered is a 'Tiger Lake' cpu. Hence based on that I note:

• this from the sof-firmware v.1.8 change history: Improved support for Intel Tiger Lake- and Alder Lake-based devices.
    • this from the sof-firmware v.1.7 change history: Added support for Intel Tigerlake H and Intel Tiger Lake fix for clock switching.

which suggests to me I should consider installing the experimental sof-firmware-1.8 after I get this laptop and after I install openSUSE LEAP-15.3 on it.

Further I note here: https://www.sofproject.org/blog/2021...f-1-8-is-here/ ... which states SOF 1.8 includes the following features:

• Improved support for Intel Tiger Lake-based devices.
    • Improved Bluetooth support
    • Power optimizations for Intel Tiger Lake devices.

6 days ago ( !! ) there was a new sof-firmware-1.9 on github, however it make no reference to TigerLake, so I see no hurry on my account to try and obtain an rpm package of that for myself.

Buying this Lenovo X1 Carbon gen-9 is the 1st time that I can recall ever buying hardware this new - so I am making a bit extra effort to try and find aspects that 'might not' be nominally included with a basic distro release, and look for newer packages to support some of the laptop's hardware. Hopefully I manage to find the most appropriate versions for this hardware.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 28-Sep-2021 at 06:36.

Blog Entries

and that site suggests its available for LEAP-15.2 (packaged as version 19.2.1). For LEAP-15.3 there is no 'official' package recorded, but there is an 'experimental' in (X11 : Xorg repository) (packaged as version 21.3.3) and there are a couple of 'community' packages: 21.2.3, and 21.3.3 ... so if I decide to go for LEAP-15.3 (instead of LEAP-15.2 or instead of Tumbleweed) then I may end up going to one of those 'not official' repositories to grab that intel media driver.
    Again, given how 'relatively' new this hardware is, to the hardware I normally buy, I am continuing to look a bit at the various drivers and support for drivers. I went to github to see what is the latest verson of the intel-media-driver.

Currently it is 21.3.4. released around 8-September-2021, as 21.3.x is still under development.

One can download intel-media-driver-21.3.3 from an openSUSE-LEAP-15.3 experimental repository. I recall that in the openSUSE-LEAP-15.2 official repository one can find intel-media-driver-19.2.1. So obviously I was curious as to the differences between versions 19.2.1 and 21.3.3. Looking at https://github.com/intel/media-driver/releases there are MANY updates, and it looks to me that if one does a fair amount of encoding, like I tend to do, it makes sense to install the intel-media-driver-21.3.3 that is packaged in the experimental repository.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 28-Sep-2021 at 06:55.

Blog Entries

I was reading an arch linux article on the Lenovo X1 Carbon gen 9, which noted the fingerprint reader works out of the box using fprintd application.

The official release for openSUSE LEAP-15.3 of fprintd is fprintd-0.8.0. In openSUSE-15.3 experimental and community is fprintd-1.90.9. I was curious about the differences so I took a look at https://github.com/freedesktop/libfp...rintd/releases

In the github site I note the latest version is actual v.1.94.0 (released 20-August-2021). I then downloaded the ZIP file for v.1.94, and took a look inside the "NEWS" text file in that zip collection. It lists the many changes between version-0.8.0 and version-1.90.9.

Honestly - I don't plan to use the finger print reader, but if one was planning to do so, there are so many updates, IMHO it likely makes sense to update to the fprintd-1.90.9 in the experimental/community repositories and test to see how well it works.

Also note v.0.80 was released on 13-Sep-2017 and that version 1.90.9 was released on 13-January-2021, and already with v.1.94 (released on 20-August-2021) there even more updates to fprintd ... however I don't yet see any openSUSE rpm package for v.1.94 (so this is a mute point).

Note that my plan is to basically ignore all this and not test this functionality (unless of course my views about using the fingerprint reader function change). I admit thou, even thou NOT relevant to myself (yet) I did find this interesting.

Default AW: Re: AW: Looking to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon ultrabook to replace my old Toshiba Z930 ultrabook

Thanks .... Is this the repos here ?
    Code:
    https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable:/Backport/standard/x86_64/
    I am not recently familiar with backports (its been over a decade since I last used a kernel that is 'newer' than the slower officially provided/supported kernels with an already produced openSUSE distro ... ).

It doesn't specifically mention "LEAP-15.3" in that repository 'URL' so looking at that directory I couldn't confirm it would work with 15.3 - hence I am curious if I have that repos link correct.
    Yes its this:
    https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...port/standard/

Kernel :stable is build against factory with all their libs and the kernel does not install in Leap 15.3 anymore.

So the decision was to develop a new Repo only for Leap 15.3 (I think).

Blog Entries

Default Re: AW: Re: AW: Looking to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon ultrabook to replace my old Toshiba Z930 ultrabook

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

I'm running out of things to check before the laptop arrives (its still another ~10 days away from arrival). Lenovo have a GNU/Linux forum area, with subforum areas for Ubuntu, Fedora, Red Hat/Centos, Debian, and 'Other distributions'. I've started watching that for any X1 Carbon gen-9 issues/tidbits/hints that I can take away and apply to openSUSE.

One of the reasons I decided to give Lenovo business this time (by ordering this X1 Carbon) , instead of a Dell or HP (both which have EXCELLENT laptops) was because of Lenovo's more recent efforts to support GNU/Linux. I may post in the 'Other distributions' area of the Lenovo forum if I have any openSUSE aspects to offer (in addition to posting in our openSUSE forum). There are not many openSUSE related posts in that Lenovo Linux forum area.

For the moment thou, I am just reading and learning , as part of my preparation.

Blog Entries

I am continuing my preparation research while waiting for this X1 Carbon to be delivered.

I have read conflicting recommendations on the use of TLP (Optimize Linux Laptop Battery Life)

On one reddit site thread I read that purportedly Lenovo recommend to not use TLP (where nominally TLP is intended to better manage battery life in a laptop). That article purports that TLP interferes with the Lenovo X1 Carbon’s firmware power settings. However the article does NOT point to where Lenovo actually recommends that - and I have yet to see for myself a Lenovo rep posting not to use TLP. ....

Then in contraction, on another reddit thread I read another article that suggested to install TLP.

According to github TLP release page the most current version is v.1.4.0 released on 24-Sep-2021. That is VERY recent. I note that version 1.3.1 (released 7-Feb-2020) comes with openSUSE LEAP-15.3. No more up to date version exists in the experimental and community repositories. There are a few updates wrt Lenovo and Thinkpad in the updates of TLP from v.1.3.1 to v.1.4.0.

Likely I will see what the LEAP-15.3 default install does, and then possibly play with that setting for a while, and if unhappy either install or de-install TLP (dependent on its initial installed status) and play with the opposite - to decide which is most appropriate.

..... EDIT: Here is a link to a post on the Lenovo Linux forum where a Ubuntu user noted v.1.3.1 of TLP does not work well for Lenovo's that are not Thinkpads, but purportedly the v.1.4.0 does work ok. For all I know this could or could not be Ubuntu specific.

IMHO this is 'classic' Linux , with contradictory recommendations - and sometimes one simply needs to find out for themselves with their own computer hardware/software setup.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 29-Sep-2021 at 00:56. Reason: Added comment on TLP v.1.3.1 vs 1.4.0

Blog Entries

Some more 'chit chat' as I continue to research apps (for openSUSE LEAP-15.3) that I may wish to consider putting an 'experimental' or 'community' version on the Lenovo X1 Carbon gen-9 after it arrives. Likely any kernel update will be one of the last things I try - and dependent on how other install aspects go. It has been a learning experience researching this ...

Click on Link below for a larger version of the table

I created the above table noting some GNU/Linux apps (relevant to this Carbon-X1), noting the official LEAP-15.3 version, noting versions that are available in experimental/community repositories, and also noting what the current github version was. I also made a note of current (as of today) Tumbleweed version, which may be relevant if I have an issue installing LEAP-15.3.

This is the 1st time in over 2 decades of using GNU/Linux that I have taken the time to do this. My being retired now helps give me the extra time to do this. Normally I would never bother doing such.

Likely I am 'motivated' as my wife and I made a deal - if I fail with openSUSE install, she gets the Lenovo X1 Carbon gen-9 and I get her much much older Lenovo X1 Carbon gen-4.

Likely after I complete the install, if successful, I'll take some of the information from this thread and create a blog entry on this openSUSE forum.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 01-Oct-2021 at 02:24. Reason: Corrected image by showing more LEAP-15.3 versions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast