Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon ultrabook to replace my old Toshiba Z930 ultrabook

Blog Entries

Default Re: AW: Re: AW: Looking to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon ultrabook to replace my old Toshiba Z930 ultrabook

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Yes its this:
    https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...port/standard/

Kernel :stable is build against factory with all their libs and the kernel does not install in Leap 15.3 anymore.
    While I don't nominally plan to update the kernel - its quite possible I will. The more I read, the more I see that kernels newer than what is in LEAP-15.3 is needed to take advantage of TigerLake CPU features - and its not clear to me how much is back ported into the openSUSE kernel (I guess I should research this).

I note this from the Linux Tiger Lake reviews, where it states:

Linux 5.8+ supports all the Tiger Lake processor specific features. Hardware video decoding is supported through VAAPI. HEVC and VP9 support has been present in VAAPI for a very long time, AV1 hardware decoding support was merged to VAAPI in August 2020.

So its quite possible a newer kernel (than what is provided with LEAP-15.3) is best installed to better utilize the Lenovo X1 Carbon gen-9's CPU.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 01-Oct-2021 at 03:57.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon ultrabook to replace my old Toshiba Z930 ultrabook

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Will it work with the Lenovo... depends if it's loaded onto the firmware site.... https://fwupd.org/ I don't see the later generation devices, https://fwupd.org/lvfs/search?value=X1+Carbon
    I find it a bit tricky to navigate the Lenovo site ... but I do note on the link you provided some updates for the X1 Carbon gen-9:
    Code:
    v.1.47 - https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.lenovo.ThinkPadN32ETXXW.firmware v.1.29 - https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.lenovo.ThinkPadN32HT.firmware
    ... plus more ...

When I compare that to the Lenovo site, the information on its firmware update is different:
    Code:
    VERSION INFORMATION Release Firmware Rev Issue Date -------- --------- --- ---------- fviking10 3.0.44 10 2021-05-20 usbcundkfw3057_2 3.0.57 02 2021-08-27 usbcundkfw3059_3 3.0.59 03 2021-09-14
    where the above are for Windows-10/11 firmware based updates.

Possibly I have retrieved the above incorrectly - or possibly not. Regardless, I can see I have more research to do in order to understand the difference - as I had thought all firmware updates should be the same independent of the operating system on the device.

EDIT: I interpreted what I saw on the Lenovo site incorrectly. There are 'firmware' updates and there are 'BIOS' updates and they are not identical. I found 1.47 on the Lenovo site as a BIOS update. So I now have a 'hook' in which I can investigate this further.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 02-Oct-2021 at 02:56.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon ultrabook to replace my old Toshiba Z930 ultrabook

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I find it a bit tricky to navigate the Lenovo site ... but I do note on the link you provided some updates for the X1 Carbon gen-9:
    Code:
    v.1.47 - https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.lenovo.ThinkPadN32ETXXW.firmware ...
    EDIT: I interpreted what I saw on the Lenovo site incorrectly. There are 'firmware' updates and there are 'BIOS' updates and they are not identical. I found 1.47 on the Lenovo site as a BIOS update. So I now have a 'hook' in which t investigate this further.
    Further to this BIOS aspect for the Lenovo X1 Carbon gen-9, I ordered my laptop on 28-September.

I note there was a BIOS v.1.47 issued on 15-Sep-2021, where BIOS v.1.45 issued on 19-August-2021 was the version before. I plan to check to see if the laptop I obtain will have 1.45 or 1.47.

I would like v.1.47 as I note these fixes implemented in 1.47:
    Code:
    [Problem fixes]
    - Fixed an issue where system may not boot after failure of BIOS update or Intel Management Engine firmware.
    - Fixed an issue where thermal throttling may happens on Linux OS.
    - Fixed an issue where Windows OS can not boot after disabling Thunderbolt Port in BIOS Setup.
    - Fixed an issue where system may hang up if ThinkPad USB Universal Type-C dock   with USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter is attached.
    - Fixed an issue where HSTI validation failed in BIOS Device Guard test.
    - Fixed a flicker issue happend on a specific monitor.
    All of these look worth implementing - and in particular the 'thermal throttling' fix caught my eye.

Blog Entries

Default Re: AW: Looking to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon ultrabook to replace my old Toshiba Z930 ultrabook

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    You can use kernel:stable:backports Repo for an 5.14 kernel on Leap 15.3:
    Code:
    uname -a && lsb-release -id
    Linux linux64 5.14.7-lp153.6.g4c70286-default #1 SMP Fri Sep 24 06:16:58 UTC 2021 (4c70286) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Distributor ID: openSUSE
    Description:    openSUSE Leap 15.3
    The Lenovo should arrive in the next few days. I've made myself a big list of things to try/do with it as part of the Linux install. As I research this (wrt users of other GNU/Linux distros running their distro on this gen-9 Lenovo X1 Carbon) I note most have gone to a 5.14 kernel, in order to get better functionality with the Lenovo X1 Carbon gen-9.

I asked myself, if I were to do the same (going to kernel:stable:backports) for a recent kernel, how would I maintain it (with latest security fixes)? So I downloaded from that kernel:stable:backports repos the latest 5.14-9 kernel in that repos, and I extracted the change log:
    Code:
    rpm -qp kernel-default-5.14.9-lp153.3.1.gd0ace7f.x86_64.rpm --changelog > kernel-changelog.txt
    I looked inside the changelog with a text editor for occurrences of 'security' and 'TigerLake' entries. There were quite a few of both .... so that suggests to me that if I go this route (of using a 5.14 kernel from kernel:stable:backports) it may be prudent for me to keep that repos in my repository list, and from time to time (once/month ? ) to update the kernel even again to (1) obtain new security updates, and (2) take advantage of the many TigerLake CPU improvements between 5.3.18 (in openSUSE LEAP-15.3) and the 5.14.9 (or newer) kernel.

Of course openSUSE packagers maintain the 5.3.18 kernel with security updates, but I suspect they do not update/pickup the many TigerLake CPU updates (in the latest 5.3.18).

Continually updating the kernel:stable:backport kernel is rather more cutting edge than what I am normally comfortable with - so this should be a learning experience (outside of my comfort zone). Hopefully I am up to the 'challenge' ( for 'lazy' me ). .... I will look forward to the day when the base LEAP moves to a 5.14 or newer kernel. Of course there is always Tumbleweed - but I prefer not to go that route as of yet (I have Tumbleweed on a test install on a desktop of mine).

My wife is laughing at all this preparation - knowing if I fail, she gets the Ultrabook.

Blog Entries

The Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen9 arrived a day earlier than I expected, and I played with it for a couple of hours, switching Windows-10 on for the 1st time, switching OFF the Windows-10 'quick start', and played a bit with some BIOS settings. I then booted to a few different GNU/Linux live USBs to see how it responded to GNU/Linux (these being openSUSE-LEAP-15.3, openSUSE Tumbleweed (24-sep-2021 build) and Knoppix-9.1. I plan to blog on this.

Two issues I did note. openSUSE-LEAP-15.3 liveUSB on the Lenovo would not shutdown properly. Even 'shutdown -h now' would not do a proper shutdown. I've read this can be an issue with some GNU/Linux distros on this Lenovo Carbon X1 gen-9. However both Knoppix-9.1 (which has a 5.10 kernel) and Tumbleweed (which has a 5.14 kernel) shutdown ok with 'shutdown -h now'.

The other item was the BIOS is relatively old, at v.1.42. The most up to date BIOS for this device is v.1.47 and I looked at the change history and there are a number of the BIOS updates between BIOS versions 1.42 and 1.47 that are relevant to GNU/Linux. So I may update the BIOS from Windows-10 prior to installing GNU/Linux.

Likely I will install openSUSE-15.3 when the time comes, and after doing that, my updating the openSUSE kernel appears more and more likely given the power issues.

On a happy note, while sound did not initially work with the liveUSBs, after I installed (in the liveUSBs) sof-firmware on LEAP-15.3 (and also Tumbleweed), and restarted the sound system with YaST, sound worked nicely on the openSUSE USBs (I didn't know how to do this with Knoppix). I tested sound by playing a Youtube video (which also means the WiFi worked). So that is encouraging.

As noted - I plan to blog on future steps here with this Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen-9 and openSUSE.

If I have any issues where I need assistance, I will start a new thread in the appropriate 'help' area of our forum.

Blog Entries

I blogged on our forum about some of my openSUSE experiences with this new Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen-9 ... with that blog entry here: https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...-my-experience

I will likely add more to that blog thread as I explore the features of this laptop with openSUSE some more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123