Thread: Panel not displayed on primary monitor

Default Panel not displayed on primary monitor

Hi everybody,
    I have a problem with KDE and a multi-monitor setup.

I'm back in the office after a year and a half long hiatus, due to the coronavirus pandemic.
    In my home-office I was working with my laptop connected to an external monitor and an external mouse/keyboard. I kept the laptop open next to the external monitor to have some kind of a dual-monitor setup. It worked very well.

Yesterday was my first day back in the office, where I have two external monitors and an external keyboard and mouse, connected to the laptop via the docking station. Usually (one-and-a-half years ago) I connected the laptop to the docking station, powered it on without even opening it (the docking station exposes an external power button) and I would work normally on the two external monitors. The laptop monitor would stay switched off, as KDE detects that the lid is closed and disables the monitor.

Now, when I follow the same procedure, I get the correct setup BUT for the KDE panel, which is hidden somewhere. My primary monitor is correctly set as the right external monitor. Changing the primary monitor among the two external monitors does not make it reappear. Initially I thought the panel was "stuck" on the (disabled) laptop monitor, but even opening the lid and looking at the laptop monitor I would not find it.

Yesterday I was able to make it appear by enabling/disabling the laptop monitor a few times while also restarting (CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE+BACKSPACE) the desktop a couple times.
    I thought it would remember the setting, but today I am again without the panel. It is VERY annoying.

Does anybody know what is happening and how to fix it?
    Or should I open a bug to KDE?

Thank you in advance
    Cris
    Desktop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six-Core Processor, 16Gb RAM, 120GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD, 500Gb WD BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD
    Laptop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - Thinkpad T440 - Intel i5-4210U, 12Gb RAM, 250GB Samsung EVO 750 SSD

Default Re: Panel not displayed on primary monitor

I was able to somehow "fix" my problem by following the suggestions in this thread.
    However, that is more a workaround than a real fix. The problem remains, I think I'll open a bug at KDE,

Cris
    Desktop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six-Core Processor, 16Gb RAM, 120GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD, 500Gb WD BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD
    Laptop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - Thinkpad T440 - Intel i5-4210U, 12Gb RAM, 250GB Samsung EVO 750 SSD

There are already several bugs open for slightly different variations of my problem.
    The more relevant seems to be bug 356225.

Cris

KDE is not yet ready for Wayland.

Hi Svyatko

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    KDE is not yet ready for Wayland.
    This may be true, but I'm not talking about Wayland. I'm using X11.
    Thank you BTW

Cris

Your links leads to KDE + Wayland:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=356225
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ecific-monitor

KDE + X11 is a different story...

Hi Svyatko

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    Your links leads to KDE + Wayland:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=356225
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ecific-monitor

KDE + X11 is a different story...
    Not a different story at all.
    The link to the opensuse forums talks about Wayland, you're right. But I found in another thread that those same configuration files are effective with Xorg too. And indeed I tried and it worked.
    Regarding the KDE bug 356225, Wayland is not mentioned at all in the original post, which is from 2015. The first mention of Wayland is in a comment from 2017, two years later (and it's comment number 268!!). If you read it carefully you will see that the problems are reported both on pure Xorg and on Wayland.

Cris