Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Clicking internet links doesn't work

  1. #21

    Default Re: Clicking internet links doesn't work

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    When using those settings, I click on the small icon to the right of "with the following". That gives me an application window where I can find "firefox". This should set it the way that KDE expects.
    The problem is that in my case firefox does not appear in the list..... I'm thinking that the cause may be taht I have firefox installed from the mozilla repo instead of the opensuse repo

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    4,160
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Clicking internet links doesn't work

    A few years ago installation of chrome caused some trouble:
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http 
    google-chrome.desktop 
    erlangen:~ # locate google-chrome.desktop 
    /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop 
    erlangen:~ # rpm -qf /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop 
    google-chrome-stable-97.0.4692.71-1.x86_64 
    erlangen:~ #
    Then default browser setting was ignored. Adding a handler for firefox fixed this:
    Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> grep x-scheme-handler .config/mimeapps.list 
    x-scheme-handler/chrome=userapp-Firefox-90PQN0.desktop;firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/ftp=userapp-Firefox-90PQN0.desktop;firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/http=userapp-Firefox-90PQN0.desktop;firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/https=userapp-Firefox-90PQN0.desktop;firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/mailto=org.kde.kmail2.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/chrome=firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/etcher=balena-etcher-electron.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/ftp=firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/http=firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/https=firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/mailto=org.kde.kmail2.desktop; 
    karl@erlangen:~> xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http 
    firefox.desktop 
    karl@erlangen:~> 
    I now deleted .config/mimeapps.list and I get:
    Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http 
    kfmclient_html.desktop 
    karl@erlangen:~> 
    
    "xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org" now works correctly and opens default browser firefox.
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X, 5700U (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

  3. #23

    Default Re: Clicking internet links doesn't work

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    A few years ago installation of chrome caused some trouble:
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http 
    google-chrome.desktop 
    erlangen:~ # locate google-chrome.desktop 
    /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop 
    erlangen:~ # rpm -qf /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop 
    google-chrome-stable-97.0.4692.71-1.x86_64 
    erlangen:~ #
    Then default browser setting was ignored. Adding a handler for firefox fixed this:
    Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> grep x-scheme-handler .config/mimeapps.list 
    x-scheme-handler/chrome=userapp-Firefox-90PQN0.desktop;firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/ftp=userapp-Firefox-90PQN0.desktop;firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/http=userapp-Firefox-90PQN0.desktop;firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/https=userapp-Firefox-90PQN0.desktop;firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/mailto=org.kde.kmail2.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/chrome=firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/etcher=balena-etcher-electron.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/ftp=firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/http=firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/https=firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/mailto=org.kde.kmail2.desktop; 
    karl@erlangen:~> xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http 
    firefox.desktop 
    karl@erlangen:~> 
    I now deleted .config/mimeapps.list and I get:
    Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http 
    kfmclient_html.desktop 
    karl@erlangen:~> 
    
    "xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org" now works correctly and opens default browser firefox.




    Code:
    andromeda:~ # xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http 
    chromium-browser.desktop 
    andromeda:~ # locate chromium-browser.desktop 
    /home/fernando/.local/share/plasma_icons/chromium-browser.desktop 
    /usr/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop 
    andromeda:~ # rpm -qf /usr/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop 
    chromium-97.0.4692.71-bp153.2.54.1.x86_64
    






    Code:
    andromeda:~ # su - fernando 
    fernando@andromeda:~> grep x-scheme-handler .config/mimeapps.list 
    x-scheme-handler/chrome=Firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/ftp=Firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/http=Firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/https=Firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/tg=userapp-Telegram Desktop-QB7YR0.desktop;userapp-Telegram Desktop-LLFGW0.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/chrome=Firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/ftp=Firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/http=com.opera.opera.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/https=com.opera.opera.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/msteams=teams.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/tg=userapp-Telegram Desktop-LLFGW0.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/vscode=Code.desktop 
    fernando@andromeda:~> xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http 
    com.opera.opera.desktop 
    fernando@andromeda:~> mv .config/mimeapps.list tmp 
    fernando@andromeda:~> xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http 
    chromium-browser.desktop
    

    and xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org opens chromium.

    Then I go to settings change to "In an application based in the contents of the url" and then xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org opens opera

    After searching in different places I go to firefox and....... it is not the default browser (but it was, and i did not change it, I don't know what happenend). I make firefox the default borwser and xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org opens firefox


  4. #24

    Default Re: Clicking internet links doesn't work

    Quote Originally Posted by fperal View Post
    Code:
    andromeda:~ # xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http 
    chromium-browser.desktop 
    andromeda:~ # locate chromium-browser.desktop 
    /home/fernando/.local/share/plasma_icons/chromium-browser.desktop 
    /usr/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop 
    andromeda:~ # rpm -qf /usr/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop 
    chromium-97.0.4692.71-bp153.2.54.1.x86_64
    






    Code:
    andromeda:~ # su - fernando 
    fernando@andromeda:~> grep x-scheme-handler .config/mimeapps.list 
    x-scheme-handler/chrome=Firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/ftp=Firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/http=Firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/https=Firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/tg=userapp-Telegram Desktop-QB7YR0.desktop;userapp-Telegram Desktop-LLFGW0.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/chrome=Firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/ftp=Firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/http=com.opera.opera.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/https=com.opera.opera.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/msteams=teams.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/tg=userapp-Telegram Desktop-LLFGW0.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/vscode=Code.desktop 
    fernando@andromeda:~> xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http 
    com.opera.opera.desktop 
    fernando@andromeda:~> mv .config/mimeapps.list tmp 
    fernando@andromeda:~> xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http 
    chromium-browser.desktop
    

    and xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org opens chromium.

    Then I go to settings change to "In an application based in the contents of the url" and then xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org opens opera

    After searching in different places I go to firefox and....... it is not the default browser (but it was, and i did not change it, I don't know what happenend). I make firefox the default borwser and xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org opens firefox



    but again, clicking in a link in rambox or telegram desktop lauch firefox but does not open the link

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    4,160
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Clicking internet links doesn't work

    Quote Originally Posted by fperal View Post
    but again, clicking in a link in rambox or telegram desktop lauch firefox but does not open the link
    Rebooted host erlangen. Upon restore of the user session firefox notified me that it was no longer the default browser. It asked for change and I agreed. This resulted in the following fresh mimeapps.list:
    Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> cat .config/mimeapps.list             
    [Added Associations] 
    all/allfiles=Jalbum.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/http=firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/https=firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/chrome=firefox.desktop; 
    text/html=firefox.desktop; 
    application/x-extension-htm=firefox.desktop; 
    application/x-extension-html=firefox.desktop; 
    application/x-extension-shtml=firefox.desktop; 
    application/xhtml+xml=firefox.desktop; 
    application/x-extension-xhtml=firefox.desktop; 
    application/x-extension-xht=firefox.desktop; 
    
    [Default Applications] 
    all/allfiles=Jalbum.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/http=firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/https=firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/chrome=firefox.desktop 
    text/html=firefox.desktop 
    application/x-extension-htm=firefox.desktop 
    application/x-extension-html=firefox.desktop 
    application/x-extension-shtml=firefox.desktop 
    application/xhtml+xml=firefox.desktop 
    application/x-extension-xhtml=firefox.desktop 
    application/x-extension-xht=firefox.desktop 
    karl@erlangen:~> 
    "xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org" readily opens a new tab without printing any messages:
    Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org                
    karl@erlangen:~> 
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X, 5700U (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

  6. #26

    Default Re: Clicking internet links doesn't work

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Rebooted host erlangen. Upon restore of the user session firefox notified me that it was no longer the default browser. It asked for change and I agreed. This resulted in the following fresh mimeapps.list:
    Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> cat .config/mimeapps.list             
    [Added Associations] 
    all/allfiles=Jalbum.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/http=firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/https=firefox.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/chrome=firefox.desktop; 
    text/html=firefox.desktop; 
    application/x-extension-htm=firefox.desktop; 
    application/x-extension-html=firefox.desktop; 
    application/x-extension-shtml=firefox.desktop; 
    application/xhtml+xml=firefox.desktop; 
    application/x-extension-xhtml=firefox.desktop; 
    application/x-extension-xht=firefox.desktop; 
    
    [Default Applications] 
    all/allfiles=Jalbum.desktop; 
    x-scheme-handler/http=firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/https=firefox.desktop 
    x-scheme-handler/chrome=firefox.desktop 
    text/html=firefox.desktop 
    application/x-extension-htm=firefox.desktop 
    application/x-extension-html=firefox.desktop 
    application/x-extension-shtml=firefox.desktop 
    application/xhtml+xml=firefox.desktop 
    application/x-extension-xhtml=firefox.desktop 
    application/x-extension-xht=firefox.desktop 
    karl@erlangen:~> 
    "xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org" readily opens a new tab without printing any messages:
    Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org                
    karl@erlangen:~> 

    I did that too and for me it is working mostly, but not with all.

    Setting firefox as the default browser

    1) Click a link from thunderbird opens firefox and the link
    2) Click a link from libreoffice opens firefox and the link
    3) Click a link from telegram desktop opens firefox but not the link but the start page
    4) Click a link from whatsapp inside rambox opens firefox but not the link but the start page


    But if a set opera as the dafault browser all of them open opera and the link.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Clicking internet links doesn't work

    Quote Originally Posted by fperal View Post
    I did that too and for me it is working mostly, but not with all.

    Setting firefox as the default browser

    1) Click a link from thunderbird opens firefox and the link
    2) Click a link from libreoffice opens firefox and the link
    3) Click a link from telegram desktop opens firefox but not the link but the start page
    4) Click a link from whatsapp inside rambox opens firefox but not the link but the start page


    But if a set opera as the dafault browser all of them open opera and the link.

    Both of this apps (rambox and telegram desktop) are installed from snap

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    4,160
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Clicking internet links doesn't work

    Quote Originally Posted by fperal View Post
    Both of this apps (rambox and telegram desktop) are installed from snap
    I presume the snap packages are broken.
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X, 5700U (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

  9. #29

    Default Re: Clicking internet links doesn't work

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    I presume the snap packages are broken.
    maybe, but maybe something more.
    Today one program (nextcloud client) opens a link .... in opera.
    this is a program that is not installed but run from an appimage.
    I go to firefox and it says that it IS my default browser
    I go to system settings and it says "in the following application" opera

    and "xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org" opens opera an so do other programs

    I change to "with the following program" /usr/bin/firefox %u

    And then go to nextcloud client, click on the link and it opens firefox and the link... good ... I go to firefox and it says it is not the default browser


    I click on "make default" it became happy ... in systems settings no change.



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    4,160
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Clicking internet links doesn't work

    Quote Originally Posted by fperal View Post
    maybe, but maybe something more.
    Today one program (nextcloud client) opens a link .... in opera.
    this is a program that is not installed but run from an appimage.
    I go to firefox and it says that it IS my default browser
    I go to system settings and it says "in the following application" opera

    and "xdg-open https://forums.opensuse.org" opens opera an so do other programs

    I change to "with the following program" /usr/bin/firefox %u

    And then go to nextcloud client, click on the link and it opens firefox and the link... good ... I go to firefox and it says it is not the default browser


    I click on "make default" it became happy ... in systems settings no change.

    I see. Starting from scratch by closing all applications and then deleting mimeapps.list works in most cases, see comment #25. Don't use flatpack or snap unless they are the only option available. They warrant some enhanced user experience.
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X, 5700U (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •