Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leap 15.3 ISO to USB Legacy

Default Re: Leap 15.3 ISO to USB Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    The installer will use MBR or EFI to install depending on how it is booted. Boot installer in legacy mode and it installs the OS in legacy (MBR)
    User can override this.

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    There is no way to "write to USB in Legacy mode"!

There are two mature components involved in the boot process of a PC

1. the BIOS, on modern machines called UEFI
      a piece of firmware that decides how the boot process operates
    2. the media to boot from
      e.g. HDD, SSD, NVMe, DVD, USB, ...

The UEFIs i know can handle two boot methods

1. Compatibility Support Mode (CSM) also known as MBR- or BIOS-mode.
    2. UEFI-mode

Which boot mode an UEFI uses can be selected by the user in the UEFI setup menu.

The media to boot from (HDD, SSD, ...) must be prepared for the selected boot mode. However the openSUSE installation or LIVE medias are prepared to handle both boot modes (CSM and UEFI).

No matter which boot mode (CSM-mode or UEFI-mode) you use the openSUSE media will boot. The only thing you have to be aware of is: If you boot the openSUSE installation media and do an installation the installed system will be setup for the same boot mode in which the installation media was booted. so

• if you boot up the installation media in CSM mode your installed system will be setup to be bootable in CSM mode.
    • if you boot up the installation media in UEFI mode your installed system will be setup to be bootable in UEFI mode.

Nevertheless it is always possible to change the boot mode of an installed system.
    It is possible to delete UEFI code from ISO image. But it is useless.
    It is possible to load installer in one mode and then install in another.
    What user can do depends on an user's proficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    User can override this.
    Yes but you need to know what you are doing.

Possibly will work too.
    Yes, it worked. But I had to go to the higher version of the existing version. I will have to explain this a little more. The motherboard I have says GA-H61M-S1 (rev. 2.1) printed on board. The latest BIOS ver. for this as per Gigabyte site is F10b. However, the actual BIOS on the board was ver. FC which does not appear in the list of versions for this board, but appears in list for GA-H61M-S1 (rev. 2.2). When I tried flashing F10b using the utility @BIOS from Gigabyte, there was an error message that the ver. was wrong for the board and returned. As a last resort I downloaded the next version for the rev. 2 board that is FD4. That worked.

Further, as I was going through the BIOS I found that one can set it up to boot, under other OS, from USB in (1) either uefi or legacy mode, (2) only uefi mode or (3) only legacy mode.
    Since I have both SSDs in Legacy mode I will not be able to comment what happens when there is a uefi HDD or SSD installed.

Provide full info, here - full names.
    File downloaded earlier = openSUSE-Leap-15.3-DVD-x86_64.iso date 6/3/21

File downloaded now = openSUSE-Leap-15.3-DVD-x86_64-Current.iso dated 8/21/21

It appears that a new file has been uploaded.

Thanks to everyone for bearing up with me.

PrakashC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrakashC View Post
    File downloaded earlier = openSUSE-Leap-15.3-DVD-x86_64.iso date 6/3/21

File downloaded now = openSUSE-Leap-15.3-DVD-x86_64-Current.iso dated 8/21/21

It appears that a new file has been uploaded.
    Those are probably the dates when you downloaded. Has the checksum changed?

Looking at the download site, I still see a date of 26-May-2021 13:36.

There was some talk of spinning a new install DVD, but I have not seen that happen yet.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Those are probably the dates when you downloaded. Has the checksum changed?

Looking at the download site, I still see a date of 26-May-2021 13:36.

There was some talk of spinning a new install DVD, but I have not seen that happen yet.
    But then the names of files down loaded on two different dates (two months apart) are different! Why so if no change?

PrakashC

Blog Entries

But then the names of files down loaded on two different dates (two months apart) are different!
    I see both names when I check. I presume that one is a symbolic link to the other.

I normally check at:

Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.3/iso/
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Finally have installed 15.3. No problems during installation.

Noticed that the install is now in a single partition with sub-volumes, except for the Swap which is separate. Detected and used existing swap. Makes it easier to handle.

Now I'll start fine tuning for multimedia using Packman repo, add some additional software like Eekboard etc.

Thanks once again.

PrakashC

Yes, it worked. But I had to go to the higher version of the existing version. I will have to explain this a little more. The motherboard I have says GA-H61M-S1 (rev. 2.1) printed on board. The latest BIOS ver. for this as per Gigabyte site is F10b. However, the actual BIOS on the board was ver. FC which does not appear in the list of versions for this board, but appears in list for GA-H61M-S1 (rev. 2.2). When I tried flashing F10b using the utility @BIOS from Gigabyte, there was an error message that the ver. was wrong for the board and returned. As a last resort I downloaded the next version for the rev. 2 board that is FD4. That worked.
    Installer prevents updating to an older BIOS version.
    User can override it (by editing numbers, rescue update or other methods).
    In your case mobos are ~ the same, so maybe you will use it without troubles.

Installer prevents updating to an older BIOS version.
    User can override it (by editing numbers, rescue update or other methods).
    In your case mobos are ~ the same, so maybe you will use it without troubles.
    As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I am no expert in OS or Software and my knowledge in respect of firmware is non-existent beyond choices offered on interfaces! So I will not dare to try out overrides. Luckily as you said the mobo is from the same series of the manufacturer so what I did worked. Otherwise I would have to seek expert professional help.

PrakashC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123