wait for nvidia package to update?

I am pretty brand spanking new, so sorry for the simple question, but:

I see that there is a kernel update today (kernel-default-5.13.6-1.1). Should I be waiting for a corresponding nvidia driver package to show up before I update? Or is that only when we go to new kernels (ie: 5.13 - 5.14)?

Thanks!

I rarely encounter issues with the minor updates (but it can happen). It seems more likely that a major update will causes problems, it depends on what it includes, there may be no issues at all.

I think **/etc/zypp/zypp.conf ** defaults to **multiversion.kernels = latest, latest-1 ** - so you can always boot the previous kernel.

If I feel a major update might cause problems I’ll often add a specific additional kernel to keep, for example: **multiversion.kernels = 5.12.12,latest,latest-1,running (yast can be used to alter the boot selection to default to an older kernel).

**[FONT=arial][/FONT]There is also some chance that running the latest kernel and driver may trip up applications that uses the GPU, that seems rare for normal desktop use (chrome beta with GPU acceleration on was causing me the odd X11 hang recently).

Okay, thanks for the feedback. Update went fine.

So, probably just have to worry about major updates, then. I remember years ago when I was using fedora I had to wait if I ever saw anything kernel related for the nvidia package to show up. No idea if it is still like that. Anyway, I really do like the fact that snapper is in place for just such occasions, but I would just assume not have to use it!

BTW - the bit about the multiversion kernels was very helpful to know.