Thread: Brave Browser -- unsafe practices in Brave Rewards

Default Brave Browser -- unsafe practices in Brave Rewards

This is a warning about participating in Brave Rewards sponsored by the Brave browser. I thoroughly bought into this browser and their rewards idea and was willing to participate in the auto-contribute option for seed money to get brave rewards support to sites I visit frequently. This would include opensuse, I believe.

That was until I found that they function in cybercurrency using some very insecure procedures. To enroll in the cybercurrency account, the account site requires you to make a copy of your picture ID and email it to them. Never send your ID through the internet; that is a "DO NOT DO". That is a common practice of the (mostly Indian) internet scammers and they sell that info and/or harvest what they can from your info. You have no idea of the security procedures of some cybercurrency outfit much less of the internet security in getting the info to them.

This is a completely irresponsible thing to ask of you. I have sent an email to Brave saying they need to revise their currency procedures before I will join Brave Rewards. I hope other intelligent linux users would do the same. Never send your picture ID over the internet. I have since found vivaldi browser to have what brave offers.

tom kosvic

Default Re: Brave Browser -- unsafe practices in Brave Rewards

It is a requirement by governments to fill a KYC (know your customer) form - this includes Full name , ID proof etc. before making any cryptocurrency transaction with a customer by a crypto exchange. It is not something to do with brave , but it is a regulatory thing and most exchanges have it. governments want to un-anonymize crypto transactions (of-course , governments want tight financial control)

If you don't want to send your ID send some random fake Id or some shabby drawing that looks like an Id . Just a suggestion . not advice (don't quote me on this it might not work)

I understand what you are saying, but it was Brave's choice to use a cybercurrency for their monetary feed to brave rewards. They had a choice and used one that requires you to email your picture ID. There are many conventional alternatives that they could have chosen. Again, never do that for anybody.

tom kosvic

Blog Entries

Since this is not a request for help, it will be moved to our General Chit-Chat sub-forum.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by tckosvic View Post
    I understand what you are saying, but it was Brave's choice to use a cybercurrency for their monetary feed to brave rewards. They had a choice and used one that requires you to email your picture ID. There are many conventional alternatives that they could have chosen. Again, never do that for anybody.

tom kosvic
    Yeah , I understand . You can't even create an anonymous wallet with brave and I think you need 15BAT in you account to even be able to transfer your money to someone. IDK why brave has opted this method compared to normal cryptocurrencies where you can make any wallet with just one click

Even then , many of my normie friends were convinced to use brave due to the crypto thing, atleast they made privacy a little more mainstream,

Even I don't approve this handling of BAT by brave. what can we do in a linux distro forum , maybe this discussion is more apt in the brave forum/subreddit but not sure tho

I never knew why would one want to use Brave. All this site financing model looked shady at best to me. Maybe it's different now because I was reading about it once the browser was being introduced but it was never clear to me how to sites would actually get money and what would Brave do with the rest of the money.
    Best regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glistwan View Post
    I never knew why would one want to use Brave.

Most normies(people who are not technical and also who dont care about privacy aka windows+chrome people) I have seen who use Brave use brave only because of the brave rewards program. If not for the brave rewad=rds program it would become yet another generic chromium based browser among the ocean of them n i feel it is a good differentiator albeit it looks really shady

Cheers!
    Quess

In this revue I found this:
    Code:
    Privacy concerns in withdrawing bat
    To withdraw your BAT you have to do KYC with a third party company. This means you have to share identifiable information to withdraw your online private currency. This goes against the whole idea behind the Brave Browser. If you see this as a concern, I would recommend donating the BAT you earn to creators or other online figures you like.

Quote Originally Posted by thibdb13 View Post
    In this revue I found this:
    Code:
    Privacy concerns in withdrawing bat
    To withdraw your BAT you have to do KYC with a third party company. This means you have to share identifiable information to withdraw your online private currency. This goes against the whole idea behind the Brave Browser. If you see this as a concern, I would recommend donating the BAT you earn to creators or other online figures you like.
    I think the company is gemini if im not wrong