Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Screen flicker/wobble/shaking/wiggling issue.

  1. #1

    Default Screen flicker/wobble/shaking/wiggling issue.

    Hello,

    I've recently switched from Arch (tonight actually) with excitement to contribute openSUSE but I am now unable to use my laptop because of a kernel/X11 bug. I've checked official repos but unable to find older kernels even LTS ones, seems SUSE is keeping last 2 versions. I had this issue with my Arch installation as well and was able to solve it by downgrading kernel to 5.12.4 and older. Can anyone help me out there? It is impossible to run my computer like this.

    Bug reports with the same issue:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1965645
    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/3714

    I've a Skylake MSI Laptop with NVIDIA Optimus if it helps.
    i7 6700HQ - HD530
    NVIDIA GTX970M

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,317
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Screen flicker/wobble/shaking/wiggling issue.

    Perhaps openSUSE Leap 15.3 would be a better option for you?

    https://doc.opensuse.org/release-not...USE/Leap/15.3/
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    3,148
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Screen flicker/wobble/shaking/wiggling issue.

    Older TW kernels are available here.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, TW, 15.3 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia, Fedora, Debian, more on Kaby Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia &&&&&

  4. #4

    Default Re: Screen flicker/wobble/shaking/wiggling issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Perhaps openSUSE Leap 15.3 would be a better option for you?

    https://doc.opensuse.org/release-not...USE/Leap/15.3/

    I would like to stay on rolling.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Older TW kernels are available here.
    Thanks for pointing out, will try it out!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    31,732
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Screen flicker/wobble/shaking/wiggling issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by bw3u View Post
    I would like to stay on rolling.



    Thanks for pointing out, will try it out!
    Hi
    Then you should keep rolling and stay up to date? Have you thought about an openSUSE bug report? openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Screen flicker/wobble/shaking/wiggling issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Then you should keep rolling and stay up to date? Have you thought about an openSUSE bug report? openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE
    It's actually not about SUSE or any other distribution, it's Intel's fault, I can't expect or ask for SUSE devs/maintainers to fix this bug. They've carried this issue with 5.12 and 5.13 even 5.14 has this on Skylake architecture. Also without headers, can't start X (as expected). I might switch to Leap until this bug is fixed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Screen flicker/wobble/shaking/wiggling issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by bw3u View Post
    It's actually not about SUSE or any other distribution, it's Intel's fault, I can't expect or ask for SUSE devs/maintainers to fix this bug. They've carried this issue with 5.12 and 5.13 even 5.14 has this on Skylake architecture. Also without headers, can't start X (as expected). I might switch to Leap until this bug is fixed.
    From what I gather from reading past postings, here and on the mailing lists, there are TW users who hold back on kernel and driver updates, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some users set the mutiversion.kernel option in /etc/zypp.conf to keep specific kernels or more versions of kernels. I think I saw once posting from someone who was conservatively staying quite far back from the latest, so I presume that's doable. I have quite often kept specific kernels around when faced with graphics driver issues, but I also tend to move up as soon as I can.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Screen flicker/wobble/shaking/wiggling issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by mchnz View Post
    From what I gather from reading past postings, here and on the mailing lists, there are TW users who hold back on kernel and driver updates, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some users set the mutiversion.kernel option in /etc/zypp.conf to keep specific kernels or more versions of kernels. I think I saw once posting from someone who was conservatively staying quite far back from the latest, so I presume that's doable. I have quite often kept specific kernels around when faced with graphics driver issues, but I also tend to move up as soon as I can.
    I think so too.
    Maybe just lock what works so it will not be replace during zypper dup.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •