Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange copy-and-paste problem

Default Re: Strange copy-and-paste problem

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeometrist View Post
    I greatly appreciate that! I've learned a lot through this headache... if my time and resources weren't so limited, I'd be doing more to try to figure it out!
    More on clipboard: https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-the-clipboard

From Klipper manual:

In order to change clipboard/selection behavior, select Configure Klipper... from the Klipper context menu, and in the dialog box that appears, select the General page. Unchecking Synchronize contents of the clipboard and the selection makes the clipboard and selection function as completely separate buffers as described above. With this option set, the option Ignore selection will prevent Klipper from including the contents of the selection in its clipboard history and from performing actions on the contents of the selection. Selecting Synchronize contents of the clipboard and the selection causes the clipboard and selection buffers to always be the same, meaning that text in the selection can be pasted with either the middle mouse button or the key combination Strg+V, and similarly for text in the clipboard buffer.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Note also PDFs can be created as pictures not text and those will not copy. You must have real text not bitmap images to be able to copy. Also they may have various security set.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeometrist View Post
    I open a pdf file (one that you can copy-and-paste from). I then try to copy and paste information from the pdf into either LibreOffice Calc or gedit. Sometimes it works fine. Sometimes when I try to paste, I get the previous copied item (this has been reported but in a different context, and seemed to be LibreOffice only in other people's description). That has held true for both LibreOffice AND gedit! I also have had occasional problems copying back and forth to Firefox or Chromium.
    Hi Bob
    PDF's can be open directly with LibreOffice Draw?

Use pdftotext to convert the pdf to txt?

Code:
    pdftotext -layout somefile.pdf
    Above command will convert the file to somefile.txt in the current directory and preserve the layout if it's a spreadsheet. You should then be able to import to LibreOffice Calc.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    More on clipboard: https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-the-clipboard

From Klipper manual:
    I've not encountered a formal report in my work that was done as images, but old journal articles - that used to be common. I have good Optical Character Recognition software (multi-language) which works when I need to get text out of an image-based PDF.

All of the reports (so far) are such that I can open them with the linux doc reader, then paste them into a spreadsheet - or into gedit, or into Firefox or Chromium. They're actually public documents, but ones people rarely see because they don't know they're available. My job is to get specific metadata from the reports - hence the copy-and-pasting from multiple sources/programs into multiple programs.

(Laugh!) I've learned a whole lot about what IS being done to help the environment since I got this job.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

@Archaeometrist:

As far as OCR is concerned, I tend to use the “tesseract-ocr” package but, up to version 2, it needed TIFF as the input …
    • Currently openSUSE Leap 15.3 has version 3.05.01 which supports anything “Leptonica” can read as input …

Unhappy Re: Strange copy-and-paste problem

Are you using Wayland ? Copy/Paste between Wayland and X applications still doesn't work very well ... The least to say.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12