Old Epson Perfection 1640SU flatbed scanner

Hi all
Trying to get my old Epson Perfection 1640SU scanner running in Leap 15.3; It is installed in YAST and recognized by Scanlite and by scanimage, but soomehow will not then “be bothered” to run a scan.

I got

~> scanimage -d epson2:libusb:001:009 >/tmp/image.pnm
Output format is not set, using pnm as a default.
scanimage: sane_start: Operation not supported

which is the same error meessage I get when clicking on scan in Scanlite, but now I get

~> scanimage -d epson2:libusb:001:009 >/tmp/image.pnm
Output format is not set, using pnm as a default.
scanimage: open of device epson2:libusb:001:009 failed: Invalid argument

But I still get the “Operation not supported” message in Scanlite.

This might be because I commented out the entry for SCSI (it is connected by USB) in /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf and epson.conf and added user(s) to lp group as suggestied elsewhere on forums and in /etc/udev/rules.d/55-libsane.rules. Perhaps I am getting closer? Is there anything else I should have done?

The epkowa driver/External Backend is obsolete and I have not found a new driver for it but I did see a post in the SANE development forum/list with the same error message as I originally got which was solved by that driver…

Perhaps Epson’s iscan software would work, or perhaps I am missing some library or other? Any suggestions please?

Show

lsusb

Hi Tweakey,

Why would the Epkowa driver be osolete?

When I search for your model on the Epson website I get to the same iscan-bundle (2.30.4) as for my WF3540. Epkowa is part of that bundle. It works here on 15.2 (since 42.something) without issues.

Did you try? Is there any problem with 15.3?

I always download the Epson drivers to a local folder which I added via YaST as local source. YaST / zypper may complain about a missing signature. But ingoring it (only in this specific case) didn’t do any harm since many years.

~> lsusb
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 005: ID 05d5:624c Super Gate Technology Co., Ltd USB KB
Bus 006 Device 004: ID 1307:1171 Transcend Information, Inc. Fingerprint Reader
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 004: ID 0ea0:2108 Ours Technology, Inc. Speed-Link      
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 04b8:010a Seiko Epson Corp. GT-8700/GT-8700F [Perfection 1640SU/1640SU PHOTO]
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 13ee:0001 MosArt Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Not sure what the fingerprint reader is (I don’t have one!)… the speedlink is some bit of hardware in the old PC intended for back-ups etc which I never used.
Any help?

Hi Kasi
No I didn’t try that, I saw that “There is no official package available…” on openSUSE Software and I thought that was it for now! I also wasn’t sure if the rpm package would work with Leap (the site referred to SLES I think).
I shall see if I can do as you suggest.

iscan - EPSON Image Scan! front-end for scanners and all-in-ones

Available with Packman repo.
Or https://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX

And this scanner has to work with sane-epson2.5

Done it! Amazing package manager (installed 272 packages)!
Untarred into /usr/local/bin and added that source. Made a snapshot (needn’t have worried). Left out the network package.
Now to see how it works!
Thank you!:slight_smile:

Is inside sane:

GT-8700 	SCSI USB 	0x04b8/0x010a 	Complete 	  	epson2
(1.0.124 (unmaintained)) 	sane-epson2
GT-8700F 	SCSI USB 	0x04b8/0x010a 	Good 	GT-8700U with TPU option bundled 	epson2
(1.0.124 (unmaintained)) 	sane-epson2

But there was a problem with these Scanners in sane, maybe you need a newer Version of sane-backends…

commit 580c278dcafe4159213406b4307ee8598fe08fe7
Author: Wolfram Sang <wsa@kernel.org>
Date: Thu Mar 4 08:30:46 2021 +0100

epson2: disable focus properly

The old epson driver disabled the focus by erasing the setFocus command.
The epson2 driver turned it into a seperate flag. However, scanners
which disabled focus in post_init were not converted to use the new
flag. Because we meanwhile set focus during init, these scanners could
not start anymore. Convert them to use the new flag.

While here, update the comment how we handle focus detection and update
the debug strings accordingly.

Bug reported by Hans Meir and debugged by Zdenek Dohnal. Many thanks!

Its not in the 1.0.32 Version but here:
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Sauerland:/sane/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/

I installed Simple Scan and just tried it out (I need to scan multiple pages to a pdf file, which Image scan! and scanlite don’t do- Epson do describe ImageScan! as for those who don’t need bells and whistles). So maybe downloading the Epkowa driver or sorting out SANE as described in this thread would have been a better way; thanks all. Sorry for the slow follow-up, I have been busy sorting out my graphics drivers.:shame:If I mess up and have to do a re-install I will try one of those!

This is meant as a post-script to this old thread.as it came up in a web search while I was solving/working around the next problem in using this scanner.
To recap:-
I needed to get simple-scan working with this old Epson scanner and it did work after installed ImageScan! (which I don’t use as I need multiple page pdf filesfrom the scanner).
To show my setup,

zypper se -si iscan epson
Loading repository data...
Warning: Repository 'OpenSuseBackports' appears to be outdated. Consider using a different mirror or server.
Reading installed packages...

S  | Name       | Type    | Version  | Arch   | Repository
---+------------+---------+----------+--------+-----------
i+ | iscan      | package | 2.30.4-2 | x86_64 | EpsonEtc
i+ | iscan-data | package | 1.39.2-1 | noarch | EpsonEtc

where the Repository EpsonEtc is actually a directory on my hard drive where I downloaded the packages.

But simple scan stopped working after I installed firejail. Could it be that simple scan calls ImageScan! to upload some firmware to the scanner? I really don’t know…
Anyway it is working again fine now that I disabled firejail for simple scan by deleting the /usr/local/bin/simple-scan link to /usr/bin/firejail as described here Firejail - ArchWiki
I am happy with this as I intend to get apparmor working to cover the security chink that I made.
But perhaps a more up to date sane-backend might be a more elegant solution? I don’t think I should undo what I have done and try that though.

Any comments appreciated.