Thread: Lost ability to configure Desktop both dispays after recent update

Default Lost ability to configure Desktop both dispays after recent update

Tumbleweed
    KDE

After a recent Tumbleweed update of 250+ files I have lost the ability to configure the Desktop settings on both displays. (Dual display set-up obviously.)

For example, I could previously set the Desktop wallpaper background on both displays. Now I can only do that on 1 display. The other display gets an un-changable black background and no response to right-mouse-click which should present a menu to change the display settings.

Default Re: Lost ability to configure Desktop both dispays after recent update

Try using the KDE Display and Monitor app to check/change the resolution of your display(s). If it is showing as correct, apply a different setting and then apply the correct setting. For me this survives until the next boot.

Quote Originally Posted by doscott View Post
    Try using the KDE Display and Monitor app to check/change the resolution of your display(s). If it is showing as correct, apply a different setting and then apply the correct setting. For me this survives until the next boot.
    Same behaviour here. Works but does not survive reboot.

Same problem here
    The QT bug link is here: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-86604

As suggested on that bug, running
    plasmashell --replace
    fixes the problem (for me) until next reboot.

Cris
    Desktop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six-Core Processor, 16Gb RAM, 120GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD, 500Gb WD BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD
    Laptop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - Thinkpad T440 - Intel i5-4210U, 12Gb RAM, 250GB Samsung EVO 750 SSD

Blog Entries

Just came back to openSUSE after being elsewhere for a long time.

Looking to see if there is an update with this issue.

I have a laptop connected to a second monitor. I am trying to set it up so it only uses the second monitor and not the laptop screen as they are not side-by-side.

The primary desktop only shows my desktop icons, while the non-primary desktop shows the main panel. It didn't matter which one I set as primary, it was missing the panel.

Duplicating makes both of them act as primary desktops (no panel) and the different screen size / resolution also effects it.

I am able to get the external monitor usable so long as I have them of them running, overlaping each other and running as mentioned
    Code:
    plasmashell --replace
    Since you mentioned that it doesn't stick between reboots I set up a script and added that to autorun when I log in.

Set it by using System settings > Startup and Shutdown > Autostart > Add Login script > [[add an executable file w/code below]]
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    plasmashell --replace &
    Do you have any updates or tricks that may work?
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Blog Entries

Try the following: Go into background services in systemsettings5, deselect "Kscreen 2" and apply. Log out of Plasma and delete ~/.local/share/kscreen2/* and ~/.cache/* while Plasma is not running. From then you can use a startup xrandr script that should stick. Mine are in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/. Arandr can be used to create such a script.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, TW, 15.3 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia, Fedora, Debian, more on Kaby Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia &&&&&