Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: closing automatically firefox after 3 or 5 minutes of inactivity

Default closing automatically firefox after 3 or 5 minutes of inactivity

Hello, fellowship of Suse !

Code:
    uname -ar
    Linux localhost.localdomain 5.3.18-57-default #1 SMP Wed Apr 28 10:54:41 UTC 2021 (ba3c2e9) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    i wish to find solutions for : closing automatically firefox after 3 or 5 minutes of inactivity of session or surfing with firefox.

Do you know tips, or line command, or script for that ? and launch automatically at boot ?

Thanks !

Default Re: closing automatically firefox after 3 or 5 minutes of inactivity

As you use Firefox, you use a desktop environment. But you fail to explain which one (KDE, Gnome, ........).
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    As you use Firefox, you use a desktop environment. But you fail to explain which one (KDE, Gnome, ........).
    I use KDE and Lxde opensuse leap 15.3

Quote Originally Posted by Clytemnestr View Post
    I use KDE and Lxde opensuse leap 15.3
    And closes Firefox in both DEs?
    Henk van Velden

Whatever desktop environment...

I mean the solution should not depend on desktop environment...

Detecting if Firefox is idling is best and easiest done from the context of Firefox but I can not find a Extension to do that.

You could try the last post from this page you could try on use "sudo zypper in xautoloack" instead of "sudo apt-get install xautolock"

What is the reason you like it to shut down automatically?

Quote Originally Posted by marel View Post

What is the reason you like it to shut down automatically?
    Because i use commercial vpn, and it disconnect : disconnection occurs of vpn because : killswitch option often do not working...

Quote Originally Posted by marel View Post
    "sudo zypper in xautoloack" instead of "sudo apt-get install xautolock"
    It works well : now integrated at boot in /etc/init.d/xautolock.sh

Thanks !
    Last edited by hcvv; 24-Jul-2021 at 11:00.

Thanks, good to hear it helped.

I see you have another thread on this, I think the better solution is to block network access if the VPN goes down, but let's use the other thread for that.

Hello,

On one machine, it works well, but : on 2 linux opensuse machine, script xautolock.sh does not work :

Code:
    zypper install xautolock

cat xautolock.sh 
    #!/bin/bash

xautolock -notify 10 -notifier 'notify-send -i firefox "Firefox will close in 10 seconds"' -time 1 -locker "pkill firefox"

./xautolock.sh
    Couldn't connect to 

xautolock -notify 10 -notifier 'notify-send -i firefox "Firefox will close in 10 seconds"' -time 10 -locker "pkill firefox"
    Couldn't connect to
    Any idea ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast