Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driver for rtl8153 usb ethernet

Default Re: Driver for rtl8153 usb ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by Javi View Post
    Hi, I just wanted to report that I have the same issue. I had it in 15.2 and 15.3. Any help is welcome.
    I'm the original poster. Doing an upgrade from leap 15.2 (which the usb ethernet was not working) to leap 15.3 though a zypper dup did not help with having the usb ethernet working.

But after "too many problems" I bit the bullet (full backup), brand new install of 15.3 and it works w/o any problem. Something/drivers must have been carried over from the 15.2, but I'm guessing...

You can test it by downloading the iso, burning it to a usb stick and boot from it.

Default Re: AW: Driver for rtl8153 usb ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    post as root:
    Code:
    journalctl -b | grep -Ei 'firm|815|eth'
    It is a bit too long, so I posted to pastebin. I also changed my hostname with "{myhostname}".

https://pastebin.com/gWP7W8KY

Quote Originally Posted by elfroggio View Post
    I'm the original poster. Doing an upgrade from leap 15.2 (which the usb ethernet was not working) to leap 15.3 though a zypper dup did not help with having the usb ethernet working.

But after "too many problems" I bit the bullet (full backup), brand new install of 15.3 and it works w/o any problem. Something/drivers must have been carried over from the 15.2, but I'm guessing...

You can test it by downloading the iso, burning it to a usb stick and boot from it.
    Thank you for the information. I would not like to have to perform a new install, but I'll try with a live image. Anyway, I would like to solve this issue instead of a new install.

Default AW: Driver for rtl8153 usb ethernet

I think the connection is there:
    Code:
    Sep 22 09:02:55 {myhostname} NetworkManager[2039]: <info>  [1632294175.0390] device (eth2): state change: secondaries -> activated (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
    Sep 22 09:02:55 {myhostname} NetworkManager[2039]: <info>  [1632294175.4350] device (eth2): Activation: successful, device activated.
    Sep 22 09:02:55 {myhostname} NetworkManager[2039]: <info>  [1632294175.5503] policy: set 'Conexión cableada 2' (eth2) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS
    This are the last from your journal.

Default Re: AW: Driver for rtl8153 usb ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    I think the connection is there:
    Code:
    Sep 22 09:02:55 {myhostname} NetworkManager[2039]: <info>  [1632294175.0390] device (eth2): state change: secondaries -> activated (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
    Sep 22 09:02:55 {myhostname} NetworkManager[2039]: <info>  [1632294175.4350] device (eth2): Activation: successful, device activated.
    Sep 22 09:02:55 {myhostname} NetworkManager[2039]: <info>  [1632294175.5503] policy: set 'Conexión cableada 2' (eth2) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS
    This are the last from your journal.

Yes, it constantly comes and goes. I lost connection, then recover it, the lost it again, then recover it. I can provide longer journal, I just call the command when there was only one disconnection and reconnection.

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...10#post3064710

For Leap 15.3 check if these packages are installed: kernel-default-optional and kernel-default-extra.
    And you need 2 repos from SLE for Leap 15.3.

LANG=C zypper se kernel-default

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...10#post3064710

For Leap 15.3 check if these packages are installed: kernel-default-optional and kernel-default-extra.
    And you need 2 repos from SLE for Leap 15.3.

LANG=C zypper se kernel-default
    Yes, it seems like they are installed.

Code:
    ~> LANG=C zypper se kernel-default 
    Loading repository data... 
    Reading installed packages... 

S  | Name                           | Summary                                                       | Type 
    ---+--------------------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------+----------- 
    i+ | kernel-default                 | The Standard Kernel                                           | package 
       | kernel-default                 | The Standard Kernel                                           | srcpackage 
       | kernel-default-base            | The Standard Kernel - base modules                            | package 
       | kernel-default-base            | The Standard Kernel - base modules                            | srcpackage 
       | kernel-default-base-rebuild    | Empty package to ensure rebuilding kernel-default-base in OBS | package 
    i+ | kernel-default-devel           | Development files necessary for building kernel modules       | package 
    i  | kernel-default-extra           | The Standard Kernel - Unsupported kernel modules              | package 
       | kernel-default-livepatch       | Metapackage to pull in matching kernel-livepatch package      | package 
       | kernel-default-livepatch-devel | Kernel symbols file used during kGraft patch development      | package 
    i  | kernel-default-optional        | The Standard Kernel - Optional kernel modules                 | package

Maybe I should have `kernel-default-base` installed?

I also ran this, just in case:

Code:
    ~> LANG=C sudo zypper inr 
    Loading repository data... 
    Reading installed packages... 
    Resolving package dependencies... 
    Nothing to do.

So yesterday it worked perfectly. Today I am having problems again. Maybe I should re-install opensuse 15.3 from scratch but it is a bit painful to re-install all programs/packages and so on. It will have to wait until Christmas I think.

EDIT: it seems that after disconnecting the USB-C and connecting back again, it works perfectly.

Not really working perfectly, it drops intermitently but with less frequency than before.

Thumbs up Re: Driver for rtl8153 usb ethernet

Today I connected the ethernet cable to the adapter, then the adapter to my laptop's USB-C port. The adapter has some USB 3 ports that I usually use, but today I have not used. All working. Maybe connecting several things is "too much" for my adapter? I'll do more experiments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12