Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Installation and Partition Configuration with both Hard Drives and NVME SSD

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installation and Partition Configuration with both Hard Drives and NVME SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT

I know nothing about "protective MBR"
    It's a protector, a dummy table entry designed to foil old partitioning tools that don't know what GPT is, which will see it and refuse to make any change in the table. Were changes to be made by such a tool, it would corrupt the table, which could cause loss of all existing data on the device.

You can safely ignore its existence.

I had tried to put root on nvme0n1 nvme0n1p1 (?I believe) but this was not accepted and I get

Error: Can't have a partition table outside the disk.
    Script is a command that makes a typescript (text) file of everything displayed on your terminal. If you start your terminal session with this command, then its output can be copied and pasted. Using it may help with conveying what you have done to us here. How did you make this attempt? We need to know in detail. That message might have resulted from a partition on /dev/nvme0n1 as /dev/nvme0n1p1 already existing and taking up the whole space on /dev/nvme0n1.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, TW, 15.3 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia, Fedora, Debian, more on Kaby Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia &&&&&

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installation and Partition Configuration with both Hard Drives and NVME SSD

Hi mrmazda; more grist for the mill, thanks. If I use the script command when in Rescue cli which is what I wanted to do, where is the text file saved so I can get hold of it. I was thinking I would have to take a picture with my phone to get it to you.

As far as I recall I only created two partitions on /dev/sda the first at 500MB for the efi and 1GB for the boot partition, so the rest should be empty

Malcolm suggested I try leaving out /boot which I understand but Malcolm was silent on if I should create /boot the nvme0n1p1. I have given it a shot putting it on subvolume @/root along with @/home etc.

This was my guess at interpreting Malcolm's suggestion.

In the process of re-instating the / partition on nvme0n1p1 the expert partitioner created automatically two directories one for grub2?? 86_64 and one for 386. Sorry I do not have the details any more although no doubt I shall see them again but I am running the installation again. I have two hours if somebody stops me for a correction but because of the time between posts this can be like having a conversation from Mars, a concept I can grok, so I have started on what I understood Malcolm to mean.!

Blog Entries

I have been RTFM and am still a bit confused, not helped by not being able to copy and paste to show you the details but...
    I started with /dev/sda which is 2997GB drive (comprised 4 disks in hardware RAID array).
    My intention has been to create two partitions on this drive for /boot/efi and /boot which has a gpt partition table. I left the rest of the drive for use later once system is up and running.

parted -l gives me Disk Flags:
    1 1049kB 525MB fat16 boot, esp
    2 525MB 2673MB btrfs

I believe this is correct but I am worried because when I run gdisk /dev/sda I get:-

Partition table scan:
    MBR: protective
    BSD: not present
    APM: not present
    GPT: present.
    Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT

I know nothing about "protective MBR"

Using gdisk "i" command for information about partition 1 which is for the efi, the partition is shown with:-

Partition GUID code: C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B (EFI System)

As far as I understand from what has been advised above I have this right but

I had tried to put root on nvme0n1 nvme0n1p1 (?I believe) but this was not accepted and I get

Error: Can't have a partition table outside the disk.

I find this odd because I didn't have the same error when using USB stick.
    I conclude, having professed my profound ignorance previously, that unless there are other, as yet undeclared instructions, I cannot achieve what I had hoped and what was also suggested by mrmazda. I don't like giving up but it does seem that the USB trick might be the only way to go.

Please excuse the rubbish formatting here but am typing not cutting and pasting.
    Hi
    I suspect it's just the booting from raid is the real issue,.... I would go back to the USB setup?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Hi Malcolm, my new installation effort is about 40+% through as I type. I am happy to let it run to completion if my interpretation of your last suggestion is correct. Am I right?
    What about the /boot/grub2/i386 which appeared when the expert partitioner reacted to my setting up / on nvme? surely this is new but btrfs is full of surprises.
    If you think I have made a complete hash of the above then tell me now and I have time to set up another try with USB before bed, leaving the installation to run while I sleep!

Blog Entries

Similar problem but this time after I acknowledged the error, the installation proceeded to the end and much info has been put onto logs on the installed system. If you have time to tell me how I could send the logs, either from Rescue or live disk. It seems unfortunate to go through all this without at least seeing to logs to find out exactly what happened. It should now be possible to understand if not correct the error.

Blog Entries

Similar problem but this time after I acknowledged the error, the installation proceeded to the end and much info has been put onto logs on the installed system. If you have time to tell me how I could send the logs, either from Rescue or live disk. It seems unfortunate to go through all this without at least seeing to logs to find out exactly what happened. It should now be possible to understand if not correct the error.
    Hi
    Just boot from which ever method, manually mount the system root partition, mount a USB device and copy the files over to the USB device.

Blog Entries

If I use the script command when in Rescue cli which is what I wanted to do, where is the text file saved so I can get hold of it.
    Current directory. If you mount a location readily accessed, such as a USB stick's /dev/sdd1, to /mnt/, change to that directory (/mnt/), then start script, the whole session's activity from that point will be on that USB stick's sdX1 filesystem as a file named typescript. Read the script man page and you should see that you can have the output file named something other than typescript if you please.

Even easier should be as follows:
    Code:
    susepaste -e 40320 typescript
    IOW, you don't need to mount anything anywhere, much less find something to mount, assuming the script command is in the path of whatever you have booted. If you then open a web browser to https://paste.opensuse.org/lists you should see your upload atop the list, ready for copy and pasting the URL to a reply here.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, TW, 15.3 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia, Fedora, Debian, more on Kaby Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia &&&&&

Blog Entries

Hi Malcolm and mrmazda,
    This will have to wait until the weekend as I have VAT returns to sort out. Not as interesting as opensuse but...

The machine is off for now but when I turn on I don't think I shall be able to boot the installed system.

What is best system to boot, do I just boot the installation CD to Rescue mode or create a live disk or live USB? If so which?

Blog Entries

Hi Malcolm and mrmazda,
    This will have to wait until the weekend as I have VAT returns to sort out. Not as interesting as opensuse but...

The machine is off for now but when I turn on I don't think I shall be able to boot the installed system.

What is best system to boot, do I just boot the installation CD to Rescue mode or create a live disk or live USB? If so which?
    Hi
    I would suggest a live USB to ensure a full system is up and running with network etc....

Blog Entries

Tried USB but post BIOS F12 selection screen does not discriminate between the USB inside waiting just in case I need it for booting and a USB stick with Live OS I just built, so I had to use a live CD/DVD which worked beyond my expectations. It has clearly been a very long time since I used a live distro as lan connections and everything else is now working as if I were using the main OS, brilliant. I have Firefox and access to this forum so all I have to do now is upload the files.
    Am going to pause now, time for bed. Will resume in morning.

Meanwhile what directory/files should I be posting here for review.
    Budge.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast