Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Installation and Partition Configuration with both Hard Drives and NVME SSD

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installation and Partition Configuration with both Hard Drives and NVME SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Meanwhile what directory/files should I be posting here for review.
    Assuming you have booted the installed system via installation media, or chrooted into the installed system:
    1. blkid
    2. efibootmgr -v
    3. /etc/default/grub
    4. /etc/fstab
    5. ls -l /boot/efi/EFI/
    6. parted -l or fdisk -l
    7. susepaste /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, TW, 15.3 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia, Fedora, Debian, more on Kaby Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia &&&&&

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installation and Partition Configuration with both Hard Drives and NVME SSD

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Assuming you have booted the installed system via installation media, or chrooted into the installed system:
    1. blkid
    2. efibootmgr -v
    3. /etc/default/grub
    4. /etc/fstab
    5. ls -l /boot/efi/EFI/
    6. parted -l or fdisk -l
    7. susepaste /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    I could not boot into the installed system by whatever means I tried so I have booted into a live system. That has really started my head spinning; I think I can see what is on the machine and not in memory but they look so alike I am not sure which is which.
    Before I do anything else please clarify.

To get my bearings if I use Dolphin, under the devices heading I have:

Code:
    /(overlay)
    from which I can see a directory tree which I suspect is the live system but couldn't be sure and has /home/linux/bin plus the normal tree which includes the password manager which I have downloaded to make access easy. It also includes /mnt on which I have mounted a USB stick as in
    Code:
    /mnt/USBtemp
    . and...

Code:
    Linux File System
    which has /home/alastair/bin and nothing else. (If that should have been Quotes please forgive.

I conclude that the "Linux File System" is the one on the hard drive and nvme.

When I go to a terminal I have

Code:
    linux@localhost:/> ls
    bin   etc             installkey.gpg~  license.tar.gz  opt      root  selinux  tmp
    boot  home            lib              lost+found      proc     run   srv      usr
    dev   installkey.gpg  lib64            mnt             pubkeys  sbin  sys      var
    linux@localhost:/>
    from which I conclude that I am working in the live system which is confirmed by
    Code:
    linux@localhost:/mnt> ls
    USBtemp
    linux@localhost:/mnt>
    Therefore when I run the several commands proposed to examine the installed system are the results truly from the hardware and not the live system.
    Been a long day so please be kind.

Before I go any further am I heading in the right direction.

Blog Entries

Before starting to follow the instructions in #91, from a live media boot you must change root (aka chroot) into the installed system. Do not exit until after all #91 instructions have been completed.
    Tertiary: Mageia, Fedora, Debian, more on Kaby Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia &&&&&

Blog Entries

I have tried to understand and follow the instructions for preparing the mounts and chrooted with /dev/nvme0n1p1 mounted.
    This is what I have now:-

Code:
    localhost:/ # ls
    bin  boot  dev  etc  home  lib  lib64  mnt  opt  proc  root  run  sbin  selinux  srv  sys  tmp  usr  var
    localhost:/ #
    and when I change directory to /home I have:-
    Code:
    localhost:/home # ls
    alastair
    localhost:/home #
    which is what should be there from my original installation which I couldn't boot.
    Here is the output from the list of commands as far as I could interpret them:-
    Code:
    localhost:/ # blkid
    localhost:/ # efibootmgr -v
    EFI variables are not supported on this system.
    localhost:/ # cat /etc/default/grub
    # If you change this file, run 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.

# Uncomment to set your own custom distributor. If you leave it unset or empty, the default
    # policy is to determine the value from /etc/os-release
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=
    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=8
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash=silent mitigations=auto quiet"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to automatically save last booted menu entry in GRUB2 environment

# variable `saved_entry'
    # GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT="true"
    #Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs

# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
    # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
    # GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"
    #Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)

GRUB_TERMINAL="gfxterm"
    # The resolution used on graphical terminal
    #note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE

# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    GRUB_GFXMODE="auto"
    # Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
    # GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
    #Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries

# GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
    #Uncomment to get a beep at grub start

# GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
    GRUB_BACKGROUND=
    GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub2/themes/openSUSE/theme.txt
    SUSE_BTRFS_SNAPSHOT_BOOTING="true"
    GRUB_USE_LINUXEFI="true"
    GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="false"
    GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK="n"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT="vga=gfx-1024x768x16"
    localhost:/ # cat /etc/fstab
    UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027  /           btrfs  defaults             0  0
    UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027  /var        btrfs  subvol=/@/var        0  0
    UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027  /usr/local  btrfs  subvol=/@/usr/local  0  0
    UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027  /tmp        btrfs  subvol=/@/tmp        0  0
    UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027  /srv        btrfs  subvol=/@/srv        0  0
    UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027  /root       btrfs  subvol=/@/root       0  0
    UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027  /opt        btrfs  subvol=/@/opt        0  0
    UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027  /home       btrfs  subvol=/@/home       0  0
    UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027  /boot       btrfs  subvol=/@/boot       0  0
    UUID=FDBC-B519                             /boot/efi   vfat   utf8                 0  2
    localhost:/ # ls -l /boot/efi/EFI/
    ls: cannot access '/boot/efi/EFI/': No such file or directory
    localhost:/ # parted -l
    localhost:/ # fdisk -l
    localhost:/ # susepaste /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    Paste failed :-(
    I think I have made a mistake in having all the drives mounted but following the instructions this was supposed to have been done after I had changed root but they are all there anyway!:-

Code:
    localhost:/ # mount -a
    mount: /var: can't find UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027.
    mount: /usr/local: can't find UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027.
    mount: /tmp: can't find UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027.
    mount: /srv: can't find UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027.
    mount: /root: can't find UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027.
    mount: /opt: can't find UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027.
    mount: /home: can't find UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027.
    mount: /boot: can't find UUID=c3afb91f-ea46-4f07-ae17-e1af70346027.
    mount: /boot/efi: can't find UUID=FDBC-B519.
    As an aside and in total ignorance it seems credible that Malcolm's original fears concerning the RAID system may be my problem. It seems that the probing during the installation is getting to the drives themselves and not the array as a whole because in some tests the disks themselves ie. hard drives 1 thro 4 have shown as individual lines. Just a thought. In other words unless I can install or correct the boot and efi details manually I am doomed to failure because the installer is too invasive and looks at the individual components.

Blog Entries

After repeated attempts I still cannot get my system to boot even with the first proposed USB stick as the boot medium. I can select the opensuse system from the bios F12 which is offered as an option after completion of POST checks but I cannot achieve a normal boot.

After running POST and at the same time as the other options are offered, such as F1 to access bios and F12 for boot selection there is F6 to look at POST Error log. I also get warnings of multiple errors which the log shows as two sets of the same fault:- Error 13 Boot configuration error. This is before the system has been re-installed. whatever previous attempt has been made.

In desperation I pulled the nvme and USB stick in order to install Leap on the original system. On starting up I selected F12 to select the CD to run the installation and I still had the same errors showing even after the memory had been removed.

I am allowing the new installation to proceed hoping that the new installation will enable the machine to re-set whatever is causing the problem.

Could it be that the IBM/Lenovo internal management system is the problem as something other than BIOS is looking for booting elements in order to give me the errors.
    I think I shall start a new thread in Hardware as this is some sort of BIOS issue and I am even further beyond my comforts zone. I would even risk a BIOS upgrade if I knew how!

All hints welcome.
    Budge

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    I would even risk a BIOS upgrade if I knew how!
    The Lenovo support site for your PC model should have that. Any other source would probably be a huge gamble.

Blog Entries

Hi I agree but I have had a problem with the website because when I try and log in I am asked to update my profile, which I do, but this takes me back to update my profile in a circle. A bit of a black hole for now, will try again later.

Meanwhile my nugatory efforts with various installation options succeeded in confusing my IBM IMM system so that even with all memory devices removed (ie no USB for booting and no NVME on PCi adaptor,) and just my original four disks in a RAID array I was still getting the POST errors.

I tried to reset the IMM to defaults but this was refused because there was a problem with the BMC, whatever that is. I have rebuilt the RAID array and tried several resets from within the BIOS and IMM. I have no idea which reset eventually did the trick but my last boot had no errors reported and I was able to select the live CD Leap 15.3 for booting.

Treading softly now I think my best bet is to try partitioning the USB stick for booting as this did work once before. It was only me being too ambitious that messed things up.
    If this all works I will not rush to a BIOS upgrade.
    My thanks once more for your help over the last week or more. Will report back again once all working.
    Regards,
    Budge.

Blog Entries

Hi
    I would suggest disconnecting the RAID array and work on the USB boot and NVMe first, you can add the array back later.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I would suggest disconnecting the RAID array and work on the USB boot and NVMe first, you can add the array back later.
    Seems like a plan but while I have a working OS on RAID only I am going to try and get he firmware upgrades sorted out.
    Will start new thread as appropriate!
    Regards,
    Budge

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910