Virtualbox stopped working after a windows update

I was using virtual box, just fine for months already, running win 10 64 bit ( for a game)

Yesterday got a windows update and today it seems to have stopped working.

So I download a fresh iso from microsoft, deleted the old one made a new VM, but now I get again the same error I had with the old version.

Message from syslogd@linux-2ls4 at Jul 9 17:50:33 ...
kernel: 1485.580528] !!Assertion Failed!!
kernel: 1485.580528] Expression: pCritSect->s.Core.NativeThreadOwner == hNativeSelf
kernel: 1485.580528] Location : /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/VirtualBox-6.1.22/src/VBox/VMM/VMMAll/PDMAllCritSect.cpp(575) int PDMCritSectLeave(PPDMCRITSECT)
kernel: 1485.580564] ffffa5d903a8e000 : ffffffffffffffff != 00007ff9747f8640; cLockers=-1 cNestings=1 

I am totally confused. This happens when I try to start windows 10 after adding the win 10 iso, Instead of the windows 10 install I should get.

When I checked in virtual box it says I am running the newest version.

Anybody has any idea on what is wrong ?
Did virtual box got updated yesterday ? I remember installing the latest updates for tumbleweed yesterday.

Could this be kernel related ?

Not sure to understand what your problem really is, but Tumbleweed kernel was updated to 5.13 and current VirtualBox 6.1.22 is not compatible with that.
If you still have a 5.12.x kernel in your system please try to boot with it and see if your problem is gone.
Otherwise you should wait for VBox 6.1.24 that hopefully wll be compatible with 5.13 kernels.

To keep it short virtual box stopped working. (I do not know if it broke after win10 update or after the tumbleweed update)

But I will check what kernel I am running.

guus@linux-2ls4:~> uname -r 
5.13.0-1-default

So I need to install an older kernel ?

Hi
It should still be there, just select that at grub in advanced options…

zypper se -si kernel-default

S  | Name                 | Type    | Version     | Arch   | Repository
---+----------------------+---------+-------------+--------+----------------------
i+ | kernel-default       | package | 5.12.13-1.1 | x86_64 | (System Packages)
i+ | kernel-default       | package | 5.13.0-1.2  | x86_64 | Main Repository (OSS)
i+ | kernel-default-devel | package | 5.12.13-1.1 | x86_64 | (System Packages)
i+ | kernel-default-devel | package | 5.13.0-1.2  | x86_64 | Main Repository (OSS)

Consider switching to a different technology not bound by this, libvirt/qemu?

You can also specify keeping kernel versions in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf in the section multiversion.kernels.

Thank you will have a look at grub screen. :slight_smile:

Consider switching to a different technology not bound by this, libvirt/qemu?

How do I switch to that ? :slight_smile:

Hi
Whilst Leap based, still applicable;

Likely mean creating a new machine…

I had already created a new virtual machine in Virtual box, but instead of Virtual box I should be using xen or kvm ?

Then I won’t have this problem again ? A kernel update breaking my virtual machine ?

I never used xen and some time passed since I last used kvm so other members may know better, but AFAIK the kernel part of kvm is included in the mainline kernel and no “foreign” kernel module is needed; so you won’t have this problem again.
You need to define a new virtual machine, but maybe you can reuse the same disk image you used with VBox, depending on how it was defined.
Generally speaking I found that VBox is easier to use to the casual user, but as you discovered “the hard way” using it on a Tumbleweed host is not always smooth.

I already have a love / hate relation with computers for many years.

Tumbleweed fits that profile. rotfl!

I did find the 5.12 kernel in grub.

Gonna do some searching for an easy explanation on how to use kvm.

VB is easier for first time users of an virtual machine, but who knows what might I might find. Lets try you tube too.

I already deleted the virtual machine in VB, looking back I should not have done that. :slight_smile:

Been reading, and now I remember why I why i went for virtual box. KVM does not have a gui.

I found this: https://ostechnix.com/install-and-configure-kvm-in-opensuse-tumbleweed/

And now have KVM installed. (through YAST)

Tomorrow more reading on what to do next, and how I get a windows iso into this.

There was something about a network setting that needs to be done manual after the install. :slight_smile:

Also found this:
https://software.opensuse.org/package/qemu

Hi
Yes it’s called virsh for the command line and virt-manager, then if on GNOME there is gnome-boxes.

I am getting a bit confused.

I was looking for a gui, for KVM.

Is there any or is virch a gui for KVM ?

I did find this, but its again a commandline tool not a gui ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8MBsZt4mqg

[https://virt-manager.org/

Management Tools - KVM](Management Tools - KVM)

Thank you, but there are so many, I have no idea on what to use ?

aqemu looks right ? third one from the top?

https://software.opensuse.org/package/aqemu

I am getting more and more confused.

I installed aqemu, then started it, and it seems to work one time, but does not do what I was expecting.

I was expecting to get a gui were I can set up virtual machines. (like in virtual box)

Do I need to install a third program ?

I have kvm and aqemu installed.

After realising, I am on Linux, I started the program from the commandline.

AQEMU Warning [25] >>> 
Sender: bool Emulator::Load( const QString &path ) 

AQEMU Warning [26] >>> 

AQEMU Warning [27] >>> 

AQEMU Warning [28] >>> 

AQEMU Warning [29] >>> 

AQEMU Warning [30] >>> 

AQEMU Warning [31] >>> 

AQEMU Warning [32] >>> 
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

It cant find qemu ?

Hi
Just use the native application;

zypper in virt-manager
systemctl start libvirtd

Then as your user run the command virt-manager (or search for it in the menu: Virtual Machine Manager) double click to connect to QEMU/KVM enter root password and create a new machine (top left icon) and configure as required in the GUI.

Switching to another virtualization engine is certainly a valid enterprise - but it seems there is also a workaround for the problem with VirtualBox.

I was having the same problem - no working VMs in VirtualBox after upgrading to kernel 5.13. I found this on the VirtualBox Bug Tracker: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20452
So I added

randomize_kstack_offset=off

to my kernel boot parameters, and my VMs are now running smoothly on the 5.13.0-1 kernel.

This fix obviously disables some new feature in the kernel, which could lead to other disadvantages later - so I suppose I should try removing it when a new VBox version becomes available, to see if I still need it.

Vbox is definitely easier to use, for people like me, who have basically no idea of what they are doing :slight_smile:

It just being one program to install, makes things a lot simpler.

Thank you, will give it a try. :slight_smile: