Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE: No unread badges on task bar app icons

Default KDE: No unread badges on task bar app icons

I recently switched from Gnome to KDE and from POP!_OS to openSUSE (Tumbleweed). Very satisfied so far. However there is one drawback that I cannot seem to fix: there are no badges for unread messages/notifications on the task bar app icons (Discord & mailspring in this example, the rightmost icons in the bottom screenshot and next to konsole in the upper screenshot). When trying another distro with KDE (kubuntu in this case), I get the app badges I expected (see screenshots).

Is there any library/app/setting/config file that I might be missing or does anyone have any idea why this is happening here with Tumbleweed and not with other KDE/Plasma distros?

Thanks! :-)

Default Re: KDE: No unread badges on task bar app icons

One thing that I noticed is that with regards to the respective distros, they apparently handle the non-KDE app recognition differently. kubuntu shows the apps where I am missing unread notification badges in System Settings -> Notification -> Application Settings and thus also shows the notification badges. Any idea why that could be? My ~/.config/plasmanotifyrc is empty, whereas in kubuntu, the non-KDE apps are listed there with "Seen=true".

Quote Originally Posted by Cantello View Post
    One thing that I noticed is that with regards to the respective distros, they apparently handle the non-KDE app recognition differently. kubuntu shows the apps where I am missing unread notification badges in System Settings -> Notification -> Application Settings and thus also shows the notification badges. Any idea why that could be? My ~/.config/plasmanotifyrc is empty, whereas in kubuntu, the non-KDE apps are listed there with "Seen=true".
    On my desktop the file exists:
    Code:
    karl@3400G:~> cat ~/.config/plasmanotifyrc 
    [Applications][firefox] 
    Seen=true 

[Applications][fr.handbrake.ghb] 
    Seen=true 

[Applications][org.gnome.software] 
    Seen=true 
    karl@3400G:~> 
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    On my desktop the file exists: [...]
    Any idea what could cause this? I just installed Leap 15.3/Plasma in a VM, installed Discord to test it and the app is still not found by the notification setting. Whereas on kubuntu it is instantly recognized on a fresh install in a VM.

Don't forget that Discord is not a native KDE application but an Electron application and that it is GTK-based, so it will never fully integrate with Plasma.

Perhaps kubuntu make modifications to the package to enable notification badges?

You should consider raising a bug report at https://bugzilla.opensuse.org or contact the maintainer https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...onFree/discord
    Regards, Paul

Any idea what could cause this? I just installed Leap 15.3/Plasma in a VM, installed Discord to test it and the app is still not found by the notification setting. Whereas on kubuntu it is instantly recognized on a fresh install in a VM.
    Discord is not listed and "Notifications > Application Settings > Other Applications > Show notification badges" is greyed out.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    Don't forget that Discord is not a native KDE application but an Electron application and that it is GTK-based, so it will never fully integrate with Plasma.
    Perhaps kubuntu make modifications to the package to enable notification badges?
    You should consider raising a bug report at https://bugzilla.opensuse.org or contact the maintainer https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...onFree/discord
    Yes, I am aware that it will not be as integrated as a native Qt app but kubuntu shows that it is possible to achieve some degree of integration by showing the notification badges. I fear that it might have to do with libunity, which is apparently not installable on Tumbleweed (all experimental or community repositories are broken, see here). When trying another non-Ubuntu distro where libunity is installable (Fedora 34), notification badges are present.

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Discord is not listed and "Notifications > Application Settings > Other Applications > Show notification badges" is greyed out.
    Same here, unfortunately.

... I fear that it might have to do with libunity, which is apparently not installable on Tumbleweed (all experimental or community repositories are broken, see here). When trying another non-Ubuntu distro where libunity is installable (Fedora 34), notification badges are present.
    If you're certain that libunity is required then there is a version in the leap 15.2 repository:

http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...1.5.x86_64.rpm

Rather a longshot, but you could download that and try, although there may be dependency issues.

I think, as I wrote in comment #5, your best course of action would be either a bug report or contact the maintainer.
    Regards, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    If you're certain that libunity is required then there is a version in the leap 15.2 repository:
    http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...1.5.x86_64.rpm
    Rather a longshot, but you could download that and try, although there may be dependency issues.
    I think, as I wrote in comment #5, your best course of action would be either a bug report or contact the maintainer.
    I tried that but apparently libunity depends on libdee, which in turn depends on libcui18n, which is where I decided not to go down that rabbit hole any more. Thanks for the link, though! :-)
    As you suggested, I have now filed a bug report (felt somewhat bad, as it is not a proper bug per se, just an annoyance.

I tried that but apparently libunity depends on libdee, which in turn depends on libcui18n, which is where I decided not to go down that rabbit hole any more. Thanks for the link, though! :-)
    As you suggested, I have now filed a bug report (felt somewhat bad, as it is not a proper bug per se, just an annoyance.
    FYI: I added a repo and installed libunity-devel, ignored some dependencies and now get the badges:
    Code:
    3400G:~ # zypper install libunity-devel  
    Loading repository data... 
    Reading installed packages... 
    Resolving package dependencies... 

Problem: nothing provides 'pkgconfig(dee-1.0)' needed by the to be installed libunity-devel-7.1.4+bzr20190319-9.18.x86_64 
     Solution 1: do not install libunity-devel-7.1.4+bzr20190319-9.18.x86_64 
     Solution 2: break libunity-devel-7.1.4+bzr20190319-9.18.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies 

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c/d/?] (c): 2 
    Resolving dependencies... 
    Resolving package dependencies... 

The following 17 NEW packages are going to be installed:
      dbus-1-devel dbus-1-glib-devel glib2-devel libdbusmenu-glib-devel libdbusmenu-glib4 libffi-devel libmount-devel libpcre16-0 libpcre2-32-0 libpcre2-posix3 libpcreposix0 libselinux-devel libsepol-devel libunity-devel pcre-devel 
      pcre2-devel typelib-1_0-Dbusmenu-0_4 

17 new packages to install. 
    Overall download size: 3.9 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 26.1 MiB will be used. 
    Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): 
    Retrieving package dbus-1-devel-1.12.20-5.4.x86_64 ....

Code:
    3400G:~ # zypper lr home_Dead_Mozay 
    Alias          : home_Dead_Mozay 
    Name           : home:Dead_Mozay (openSUSE_Tumbleweed) 
    URI            : https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Dead_Mozay/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/ 
    Enabled        : Yes 
    GPG Check      : (r ) Yes 
    Priority       : 99 (default priority) 
    Autorefresh    : Off 
    Keep Packages  : Off 
    Type           : rpm-md 
    GPG Key URI    : https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Dead_Mozay/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/repodata/repomd.xml.key 
    Path Prefix    :  
    Parent Service :  
    Keywords       : --- 
    Repo Info Path : /etc/zypp/repos.d/home_Dead_Mozay.repo 
    MD Cache Path  : /var/cache/zypp/raw/home_Dead_Mozay 
    3400G:~ #

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast