Not even a Virtual Terminal (VT)?
    • tty1 .. tty6
    • <Ctrl-Alt-F1> .. <Ctrl-Alt-F6>

Default Re: 15.2 not starting after update

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Not even a Virtual Terminal (VT)?
    • tty1 .. tty6
    • <Ctrl-Alt-F1> .. <Ctrl-Alt-F6>
    yes, not even tty1..6. I know how to use it. It did not work.

came to say that I'm having the same issue: system is not booting suspect that the update of the kernel-firmware-amdgpu package is the reason. (now installed version: 20210609-35.1)

just in case it might help diagnosing/fixing the problem:

I running Leap 15.2 but besides the stock kernel (5.3.18-lp152.78-default) I ran the latest kernel from OBS-Kernel (https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...table/standard ; version: kernel-default-5.12.12-2.1.g43254cf). Only the version 5.12.12-2... is affected by the boot crash.

the info requested in another message in this thread (this info is when running the stock 5.3.18-lp152.78 kernel, since 5.12.12 does not boot):
    Code:
     # inxi --graphics --filter --admin
    Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Renoir vendor: Lenovo driver: N/A bus ID: 07:00.0 
               chip ID: 1002:1636 
               Device-2: Chicony type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus ID: 2-2:2 chip ID: 04f2:b6d0 serial: <filter> 
               Display: server: X.org 1.20.3 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa 
               tty: 118x26 
               Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root. 
    # cat /proc/cmdline 
    BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.3.18-lp152.78-default root=/dev/mapper/root-root splash=silent mitigations=auto quiet
    # journalctl --this-boot --no-hostname --output=short-monotonic | grep -i 'radeon'
    [    0.360299] kernel: smpboot: CPU0: AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750U with Radeon Graphics (family: 0x17, model: 0x60, stepping: 0x1)
    the last message I see before the boot stops:
    Code:
    [2.528...] [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled
    [2.529...] amdgpu: Topology: Add CPU node
    [2.530...] fb0: switching to amdgpudrmfb from EFI VGA
    Hope there is a solution soon.

<EDIT>: apparently the old version(s) of the kernel-firmware-amdgpu package are gone? Why would someone do that?

Manged to solve my problem thanks to this other thread:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...pper-dup-today

The steps:

1. Install "old"/stable version of the firmware-amdgpu package (had version: 2021-06-09) with vendor-change.

zypper in --oldpackage \
    https://download.opensuse.org/distri...2.4.noarch.rpm

2. previous step rebuilds the initrd for the current kernel version, but I run the latest stable, so rebuild initrd for that as well:

dracut --kver 5.12.12-2.g43254cf-default --force

3. reboot, select the Grub option for 5.12.12

4. optional: lock the kernel-firmware-amdgpu package to remind myself to check out 1 a year if this bug is solved ;-)

zypper addlock kernel-firmware-amdgpu

Quote Originally Posted by gnyers View Post
    optional: lock the kernel-firmware-amdgpu package to remind myself to check out 1 a year if this bug is solved ;-)

zypper addlock kernel-firmware-amdgpu
    Thanks for this suggestion. I have done the same. However, since I plan to do an online upgrade to 15.3 I wonder about the wisdom of doing this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12