Thread: KDE Desktop - Loss of notifications sounds...

Default KDE Desktop - Loss of notifications sounds...

KDE Desktop - Loss of notifications sounds, and I can't figure out why...

OK... I've been faffing around with this for a couple of hours without success.

Both of my TW machines (currently 20210611) have ceased playing any notification sounds. All other audio playback is fine.

They are both running:

KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.0
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.82.0

I think this started after the recent update to Plasma 5.22.0 but I'm not 100% certain, it may have been earlier and I just hadn't noticed as I use very few notification sounds.

"System Settings -> Audio" shows a Playback Stream for "Notification Sounds", it is un-muted and at 75% volume.

"System Settings -> Audio -> Configure" correctly plays sound upon testing "Front Left" and "Front Right"

"System Settings -> Notifications -> Applications: Configure -> (any application or system service) -> Configure Events -> (any event)" when set to "Play a sound" correctly plays the sound when the "Preview" button is used.

I've tried both *.ogg and *.wav files.

A new test user also exhibits the same lack of notification sounds.

I'm tending towards the idea that the sound notification is not being triggered, rather than triggered and not played, unsure how to check that theory.

A quick look through the journal didn't reveal anything, although I'm not sure in this instance what I'm looking for...

Any suggestions welcome...
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20210726) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.2 KDE Plasma 5

Default Re: KDE Desktop - Loss of notifications sounds...

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    KDE Desktop - Loss of notifications sounds, and I can't figure out why...

OK... I've been faffing around with this for a couple of hours without success.

Both of my TW machines (currently 20210611) have ceased playing any notification sounds. All other audio playback is fine.

They are both running:

KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.0
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.82.0

I think this started after the recent update to Plasma 5.22.0 but I'm not 100% certain, it may have been earlier and I just hadn't noticed as I use very few notification sounds.

"System Settings -> Audio" shows a Playback Stream for "Notification Sounds", it is un-muted and at 75% volume.

"System Settings -> Audio -> Configure" correctly plays sound upon testing "Front Left" and "Front Right"

"System Settings -> Notifications -> Applications: Configure -> (any application or system service) -> Configure Events -> (any event)" when set to "Play a sound" correctly plays the sound when the "Preview" button is used.

I've tried both *.ogg and *.wav files.

A new test user also exhibits the same lack of notification sounds.

I'm tending towards the idea that the sound notification is not being triggered, rather than triggered and not played, unsure how to check that theory.

A quick look through the journal didn't reveal anything, although I'm not sure in this instance what I'm looking for...

Any suggestions welcome...
    Found some errors: Failed to find a working profile. Ran '/usr/sbin/alsactl store' and restarted service to verify:
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # journalctl -b -u alsa-restore.service
    -- Logs begin at Fri 2021-06-04 21:27:14 CEST, end at Sun 2021-06-13 16:04:55 CEST. --
    Jun 13 06:42:39 erlangen systemd[1]: Starting Save/Restore Sound Card State...
    Jun 13 06:42:39 erlangen systemd[1]: Finished Save/Restore Sound Card State.
    Jun 13 15:55:39 erlangen systemd[1]: Stopping Save/Restore Sound Card State...
    Jun 13 15:55:39 erlangen systemd[1]: alsa-restore.service: Succeeded.
    Jun 13 15:55:39 erlangen systemd[1]: Stopped Save/Restore Sound Card State.
    Jun 13 15:55:39 erlangen systemd[1]: Starting Save/Restore Sound Card State...
    Jun 13 15:55:39 erlangen systemd[1]: Finished Save/Restore Sound Card State.
    erlangen:~ #
    Configured mail to use a sound in system settings, sent a mail and got a sound upon arrival.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Thanks for the reply, I don't have any similar log entries.

Going to have to accept "Silence is Golden" for the moment and put this on hold, several other pressing non-computer related commitments at the moment.
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20210726) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.2 KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    Going to have to accept "Silence is Golden" for the moment and put this on hold.
    From 'LANG=C systemsettings5':

AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Still working fine here Plasma KDE 5.22 Snapshot 140621