Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patched kernel, lost graphics config

Default Re: Patched kernel, lost graphics config

Success!

On a whim, I pretended that the AMDGPU-PRO drivers weren't installed, even though YaST says it is.

1. I booted into the newer .75 kernel.
    2. I launched YaST.
    3. Searched for "amdgpu" and set all files that had "amdgpu" in the name as Update (even they were already installed and set as Keep), with exception of ones with "mesa-" and these two, "x86-video-amdgpu" and "xorg-x11-amdgpu-drv-amdgpu".
    4. Searched for "xorg-x11-server" and set that to Update too. (I had to Update this one after initially installing the AMDGPU-PRO drivers the last time to get things to work.)
    5. Accepted and let everything reinstall.
    6. Rebooted.

With NVidia and a kernel update, I either had to install the NVidia drivers the "hard way" or wait for a new NVidia repository build.

With AMD and a kernel update, it seems doing the above is like the "hard way".

-----

Thanks to everyone for assisting others in these forums! Sometimes there are direct answers, sometimes ideas that spawn other ideas.

Just confirming that method in previous post worked...

Went from kernel 5.3.18-lp152.75-default to 5.3.18-lp152.78-default this morning, lost AMD graphics config, and restored with reinstall of already installed packages.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxvinh View Post
    Just confirming that method in previous post worked...

Went from kernel 5.3.18-lp152.75-default to 5.3.18-lp152.78-default this morning, lost AMD graphics config, and restored with reinstall of already installed packages.
    ILL KMS is not installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    ILL KMS is not installed.
    Is this something that will invoke a reinstall of the AMDGPU-PRO modules whenever a new kernel is installed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12