Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Desktop freezing then rebooting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    12

    Default Desktop freezing then rebooting

    Hi All. Hope this finds you well.

    After login and a few minutes in, my PC freezes for a few minutes then it automatically reboots. This started happening after the last update, which also updated to the 5.12 kernel. Every thing is fine when I boot the 5.11 kernel. Could it be a kernel issue?

    Thanks in advance!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,832
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Desktop freezing then rebooting

    Quote Originally Posted by moisesrntr View Post
    Hi All. Hope this finds you well.

    After login and a few minutes in, my PC freezes for a few minutes then it automatically reboots. This started happening after the last update, which also updated to the 5.12 kernel. Every thing is fine when I boot the 5.11 kernel. Could it be a kernel issue?

    Thanks in advance!!
    Sounds like it
    You could check the logs and or compare dmesg for the working kernel and the one that causes the issue
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Desktop freezing then rebooting

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Sounds like it
    You could check the logs and or compare dmesg for the working kernel and the one that causes the issue
    Thanks for your help!

    I'm still new to Linux. Do you mean the /var/log directory?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Desktop freezing then rebooting

    moisesrntr,

    'dmesg' gives you an output about all kernel messages since the last reboot. While '/var/log/messages' is a combined logfile which is boot resistant but shows also some other log entries which are not part of the kernel.

    So, the idea was to take a look for differences between your 5.11 and 5.12 kernel in terms of failures or errors after your boot is complete.

    Code:
    dmesg -T | grep -i fail
    dmesg -T | grep -i error
    It could be an idea to avoid a graphical login while doing this. Press "ctrl + alt + F3" while on login screen. Maybe, in this mode no freezes occur?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Desktop freezing then rebooting

    Quote Originally Posted by gendjaral View Post
    moisesrntr,

    'dmesg' gives you an output about all kernel messages since the last reboot. While '/var/log/messages' is a combined logfile which is boot resistant but shows also some other log entries which are not part of the kernel.

    So, the idea was to take a look for differences between your 5.11 and 5.12 kernel in terms of failures or errors after your boot is complete.

    Code:
    dmesg -T | grep -i fail
    dmesg -T | grep -i error
    It could be an idea to avoid a graphical login while doing this. Press "ctrl + alt + F3" while on login screen. Maybe, in this mode no freezes occur?
    Hi thanks again for your help!

    I hope this is what you mean?


    Code:
    sudo dmesg -T | grep -i fail
    [Sat May 8 19:40:35 2021] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
    [Sat May 8 19:40:35 2021] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db
    [Sat May 8 19:41:01 2021] audit: type=1100 audit(1620517262.567:57): pid=580 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='op=PAM:authentication grantors=pam_shells,pam_faillock,pam_permit,pam_faillock,pam_gnome_keyring acct="mo" exe="/usr/lib/gdm-session-worker" hostname=archlinux addr=? terminal=/dev/tty1 res=success'
    [Sat May 8 19:41:01 2021] audit: type=1103 audit(1620517262.570:59): pid=580 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='op=PAM:setcred grantors=pam_shells,pam_faillock,pam_permit,pam_faillock,pam_gnome_keyring acct="mo" exe="/usr/lib/gdm-session-worker" hostname=archlinux addr=? terminal=/dev/tty1 res=success'
    [Sat May 8 19:41:01 2021] audit: type=1103 audit(1620517262.617:63): pid=586 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='op=PAM:setcred grantors=? acct="mo" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=failed'
    [Sat May 8 19:42:56 2021] audit: type=1100 audit(1620517377.853:101): pid=1058 uid=1000 auid=1000 ses=4 msg='op=PAM:authentication grantors=pam_faillock,pam_permit,pam_faillock acct="mo" exe="/usr/bin/sudo" hostname=? addr=? terminal=/dev/pts/0 res=success'
    [Sat May 8 19:42:56 2021] audit: type=1110 audit(1620517377.857:103): pid=1058 uid=1000 auid=1000 ses=4 msg='op=PAM:setcred grantors=pam_faillock,pam_permit,pam_faillock acct="root" exe="/usr/bin/sudo" hostname=? addr=? terminal=/dev/pts/0 res=success'
    Code:
                            
    sudo dmesg -T | grep -i error
    [Sat May 8 19:40:24 2021] RAS: Correctable Errors collector initialized.
    [Sat May 8 19:40:35 2021] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,899
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Desktop freezing then rebooting

    How old is this PC?

    Different kernels can heavily utilize different RAM segments, masking a problem with failing RAM. RAM can go bad, and is often the reason for spontaneous reboots. Please show here using code tags input and output from
    Code:
    inxi -GSamyz
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, +TW, 15.1, 15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.1 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&&&

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •