Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [showfoto] unable to resize images (jpeg)

Default Re: [showfoto] unable to resize images (jpeg)

@soundlord:

The Linux Standard – which reflects the UNIX® Standard – defines the following relationship between a system's users and, the system itself –

• Users (human) are just that – human users …
    • The (Linux/UNIX®) system as such, permits (human) users to use the machine but, in general, users can only use the machine – they are not allowed to meddle with system activities and, possibly, break the system – that's the reason why, there's a special class of users who are the system administrators …
    • This is the strict separation of system and users which is a feature of systems based on UNIX® – Linux, MacOS, BSD, Android, etc., etc. …

Your pseudonym suggests that, the system you're using is possibly being used for applications which process music –

• Yes, in the past, some music applications required that, they be run as the user “root” – I seem to recall that, MIDI applications commonly needed to be run as the user “root” …

But, AFAICS, with current Linux audio processing applications, this need has disappeared.
    • And, if a music application needs strict timing constraints then, please consider using the “kernel-preempt” package – CONFIG_PREEMPT is supported …

Reference: <https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration>

Greetings everyone... I know that "rooting" Linux is not a good idea, I know that's risky... (relatively)
    I just don't like sudoing each command line and/or switch user/root to do administrative stuff.

My computer is not exposed to the "bad guys network side" and I have a redudant backup of the critical files I work on, included the system settings I use. All that stuff is automated.
    I got also redundant copies on the clouds.

I will isolate the issue to users creating a test user and see if it works better.

The issue is isolated to user's... there is no more way to use showfoto in "root" account.
    It works using the "test user"...

I will uninstall showfoto definetly then and use Gimp untill they decide to prevent "root account" to use it :{

Cool Re: [showfoto] unable to resize images (jpeg)

Quote Originally Posted by soundlord View Post
    I just don't like sudoing each command line and/or switch user/root to do administrative stuff.
    Despite Sunday …

Then you need to understand Linux groups –

User Group Comments
    adm adm Administrative special privileges

• If, openSUSE or SUSE – the user group “wheel” – and, uncomment some lines in ‘/etc/sudoers’ – and, possibly, drop a file into ‘/etc/sudoers.d/’ –

Code:
    ## Uncomment to allow members of group wheel to execute any command
    # %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

## Same thing without a password
    # %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

## Read drop-in files from /etc/sudoers.d
    ## (the '#' here does not indicate a comment)
    #includedir /etc/sudoers.d
    Rather than removing the comments in ‘/etc/sudoers’ – the edits will be removed whenever the package “sudo” is either patched or updated – drop a «C source» ASCII text file into ‘/etc/sudoers.d/’ containing –
    Code:
    ## Uncomment to allow members of group wheel to execute any command
    %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

## Same thing without a password
    %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
    • As the ‘/etc/sudoers’ file comments are telling the world – «the '#' here does not indicate a comment» – the drop-in file in ‘/etc/sudoers.d/’ will be read …
    • The drop-in file shall have the same access permissions and ownership as ‘/etc/sudoers’ –

Code:
     # file /etc/sudoers
    /etc/sudoers: C source, ASCII text
     # l /etc/sudoers
    -r--r----- 1 root root 3391 20. Apr 16:14 /etc/sudoers
     # l -d /etc/sudoers.d
    drwxr-x--- 2 root root 4096 20. Apr 16:14 /etc/sudoers.d/
     #

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12