Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [showfoto] unable to resize images (jpeg)

Default [showfoto] unable to resize images (jpeg)

I recently realized that showfoto crashes each time I try to resize a jpeg/jpg file (same for png).
    I uninstalled reinstalled, but it seems it is linked to a library or a module but I don't know which.

Any clues ?

Default Re: [showfoto] unable to resize images (jpeg)

I got this error message just before it crashes...

[21231:21231:0506/154420.190905:ERROR:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(89)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180

I didn't know we were using chromium (????).

You did not unveil where you found that error. It just falls out of the blue sky for people reading this.

And when you have a GUI program that breaks, then try to start it from a terminal, so that when it breaks, you get hopefully some error message or the like.
    Henk van Velden

I followed the requests here: 436695 – [opensuse 15.2] unable to resize images (all types)

it seems that there is no more way to use showfoto with the "root" account... suddenly...

Quote Originally Posted by soundlord View Post
    I followed the requests here: 436695 – [opensuse 15.2] unable to resize images (all types)

it seems that there is no more way to use showfoto with the "root" account... suddenly...
    I am not quite sure what you are talking about the "root" account. What has root do to with this. You are having a problem about an end-user GUI program.
    Henk van Velden

Question Re: [showfoto] unable to resize images (jpeg)

Quote Originally Posted by soundlord View Post
    Not here – Leap 15.2 – Showfoto Version 7.1.0 – “root” Konsole session – resized a 20 M Pixel JPEG file to a 2.7 M Pixel JPEG file –
    • No crash …

But, I copied the files from my photographic library to ‘/root/Pictures/’ …
    Also –
    Code:
    /root/Pictures # showfoto 
    QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
    QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
    /root/Pictures # 
    /root/Pictures # file _DQ_3348-001.jpg
    _DQ_3348-001.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01, aspect ratio, density 1x1, segment length 16, Exif Standard: [TIFF image data, little-endian, direntries=20], baseline, precision 8, 2007x1338, frames 3
     /root/Pictures # file _DQ_3348.JPG
    _DQ_3348.JPG: JPEG image data, Exif standard: [TIFF image data, little-endian, direntries=16, description=                               , manufacturer=SIGMA, model=sd Quattro, orientation=upper-left, xresolution=286, yresolution=294, resolutionunit=2, software=SIGMA sd Quattro ver1.13.0.2487, datetime=2021:04:29 17:29:10], baseline, precision 8, 5424x3616, frames 3
     /root/Pictures #
    Which begs the question –
    • Just exactly, what did you do?

Question Re: [showfoto] unable to resize images (jpeg)

@soundlord:

Why on earth do you need to use the user “root” to edit photographs?
    • No normal human being would ever do that …
    • Editing digital photographs is basically the same as the work which used to be done in a Darkroom with chemicals and photographic equipment – nobody ever needed “system administrator rights” to perform that work …

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Which begs the question –
    • Just exactly, what did you do?
    And, also, what was the OP's perceived need to use showfoto as the root user?

Edit: @dcurtisfra Ah! you asked whilst I was typing.
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20210611) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.2 KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    And, also, what was the OP's perceived need to use showfoto as the root user?

Edit: @dcurtisfra Ah! you asked whilst I was typing.
    I should have remembered earlier. But this thread https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...on-system-tray shows in post #6 that the OP runs everything as root. Not only that, but he is so convinced that that is normal behaviour, that he does not even mentions this when asking for help. Every time the helpers here have to find out by themselves why all things he shows are so strange (and often scary).

So, I am out here and I hope to remember next time to skip his threads before spoiling time on them.
    Henk van Velden

soundlord,

please let me explain in some simple words why working as root is always a very bad idea.
    In nearly all systems/permission setups (also on Windows), there exists a "Parent-Child" concept. When you start a media player like VLC, it becomes your child process and inherits your permissions. Without that, the media player wont be able to access your videos.
    If you start Firefox as an (non-root) user, and the Javascript of the website says: Delete the harddrive!
    The response would be: "Error - no permissions for that"
    And now think about what is possible if you are root for daily purposes.

And indeed, those kind of setup, (Default user = Admin user) was the main reason for so endless many successful windows attacks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast