Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: issue with opensuse make computer useless

Default Re: issue with opensuse make computer useless

@LMH1:

I'm far from an expert in OpenSUSE, but I don't believe you can go from TW to 15.2 by "downgrading" . . . it's sort of two different systems.

I mentioned the SuperGrub2 disk idea in a previous post, did you try to boot your install using SG2? Yet???

I had this recent zypper dup -l "break grub" in both my TW and my 15.3 installs in two computers, booting to nothing but white; I can use the SG2 disk to boot into any of my linux installs.

Also, in "multi-boot" installs, like I have OSX mixed in with various linux systems, the OSX install goes in first, then the linux . . . otherwise, yes, OSX will break the grub bootloader. So if you put a Windows in after linux that might be a problem?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    @LMH1:

I'm far from an expert in OpenSUSE, but I don't believe you can go from TW to 15.2 by "downgrading" . . . it's sort of two different systems.

I mentioned the SuperGrub2 disk idea in a previous post, did you try to boot your install using SG2? Yet???

I had this recent zypper dup -l "break grub" in both my TW and my 15.3 installs in two computers, booting to nothing but white; I can use the SG2 disk to boot into any of my linux installs.

Also, in "multi-boot" installs, like I have OSX mixed in with various linux systems, the OSX install goes in first, then the linux . . . otherwise, yes, OSX will break the grub bootloader. So if you put a Windows in after linux that might be a problem?
    Hi
    I've tested winX install after openSUSE, works fine use the custom install to select the partition allocated (I always preconfigure the disk before any install....)
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I've tested winX install after openSUSE, works fine use the custom install to select the partition allocated (I always preconfigure the disk before any install....)

OK, that's good to know, the question is whether that addresses any of the OP's issues . . . hard to discern from the posts what he has done in his install process and how that might be effecting his install. I am assuming that he has hit the same problem I did with the zypper dup -l upgrade breaking the bootloader in some way . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LMH1 View Post
    Did anyone know if possible to downgrade to LEAP from tumbleweed if bios give black screen?
    Given that, Tumbleweed is many versions of everything ahead of Leap, there ain't no such thing as a “down-grade” …
    • You'll have to re-install including, deleting the system partitions and letting the installation routines recreate them, and –
    • As far as the users are concerned, you'll have to restore the user's directories without restoring any of the configuration files and –
    • You'll have to restore the contents of items such as local e-Mail, local Calendar, local Address-Books and, local Notes, from the application specific archives …

Without criticism: the English is making this hard for me to follow. But I keep coming back to one thing: 5,400 files for install? I had to re-install a damaged system last week with a newly downloaded iso. I don't remember the exact count, but there was nowhere near 5,400 files. Trying hard to remember, I think there were less than 3,000 files. If that is correct, the total could have been 2,700 files; half the number the OP mentions. Is some kind of double install going on? Is the iso the source of the problem? It seems the OP TRIED to check the integrity of the download but I don't know what the result was.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Prexy View Post
    Without criticism: the English is making this hard for me to follow. But I keep coming back to one thing: 5,400 files for install? I had to re-install a damaged system last week with a newly downloaded iso. I don't remember the exact count, but there was nowhere near 5,400 files. Trying hard to remember, I think there were less than 3,000 files. If that is correct, the total could have been 2,700 files; half the number the OP mentions. Is some kind of double install going on? Is the iso the source of the problem? It seems the OP TRIED to check the integrity of the download but I don't know what the result was.
    @Prexy:

Valid points . . . OP doesn't exactly seem to be responding to posted suggestions in his thread . . . . On the "5400" packages, I might agree with you that there might have been some issue with the .iso, because my understanding was that it didn't pass the check-sum, which he appeared to be complaining about the quality of the download in comparison to his seems to be fairly competent use of ubuntu . . . . But, as of late TW has been having what I would call "massive" zypper dup updates as of late, I have the numbers written down somewhere, but a couple in close succession in the 1500 package arena, and then a couple of 900, then this recent one a few days ago of something like "746" . . . ??? So, finding that the system would have 5400 packages wouldn't surprise me too much. With so many packages being upgraded at one time it's bound to break something, which recently each time I run a zypper there have been some "issues" and then with the last I believe I hit what this OP is experiencing . . . which I feel his "frustration" in similar fashion. I thought the point of "rolling" distro was regular small number of updates, rather than larger or massive "full-upgrades" when jumping from release distro to release distro . . . ????

Some have issue with:
    Leap 15.3 RC?

https://software.opensuse.org/package/steam

zypper addrepo https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...ee:Update.repo
    zypper refresh
    zypper install steam

zypper addrepo https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...5.3/games.repo
    zypper refresh
    zypper install alienarena

Its look like game its poor after start new games?

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    So if you put a Windows in after linux that might be a problem?
    Depends on a used Linux.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2 is using FAT16 by default for ESP, Windows wants FAT32:

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1177358
    https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1170625

For use openSUSE + Win you have to format ESP with FAT32 with the 1st installation and avoid formatting it with next ones.

yes but issue i not sure if windows 10 is bios or uefi, i try to boot but get recovery failed, with boot, reboot.

Its issue with Leap 15.3 RC none updates find before i upgrade can anyone confirm its issue with my install or its zypper up not works with updates?

Linux mint and ubuntu\fedora have more updates.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LMH1 View Post
    Its issue with Leap 15.3 RC none updates find before i upgrade can anyone confirm its issue with my install or its zypper up not works with updates?

Linux mint and ubuntu\fedora have more updates.
    At present, you are still using a development version of Leap 15.3. The update repo is empty (or nearly empty).

Official release is due in early June, but perhaps a few days later than expected. Once we get to final release, you should use:
    Code:
    zypper dup
    from a root command line to synchronize with the repos. And the update repo will then begin to have updates.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast