Thread: Newbie to OpenSUSE

Thumbs up Newbie to OpenSUSE

Hi there OpenSUSE, my name is Gigi and i have been using OpenSUSE Tumbleweed for a few months as desktop use (mail, surfing the internet and play some games).
    I have used Microsoft Windows at work and at home since forever.
    I know little to nothing about programming.
    I have been distro hopping on my home PC for a year now because i wanted to try out a different Operating System.
    I never do this but, i have decided to join the forum, say hello and let you know it is awesome.
    OpenSUSE feels right for me.

Manny thanks,
    Gigi.

Default Re: Newbie to OpenSUSE

Hello,

Welcome to the openSUSE forums. Look around, sometimes awful hints here.

And whenever you encounter problems, ask in the forums. When you help people here with a good problem description, they will try the utmost to help you.
    Henk van Velden

Cool Re: Newbie to OpenSUSE

Quote Originally Posted by gigi View Post
    I have used Microsoft Windows at work and at home since forever.
    Then, you may be aware that, Microsoft «the Redmond folks» is in the the process of choosing a new default user Font – <https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/micro...vQrW4W9_lIFX9A>.
    • The suggested Font named “Bierstadt” – «Beer Town» – has caused some amusement here in Germany …

And, there's this article by a well known “We only trying to help Microsoft” column – <https://www.askwoody.com/2021/so-can...pacing-please/>.
    • Please note that, Open Source document editors such as, LibreOffice “Write”, do not suffer from the behaviour being complained about with respect to the Microsoft “Word” product; «Yes, I have also suffered while being forced to use THAT Redmond product!» …

Welcome. I have set up a number of friends with LibreOffice saving files in Microsoft formats so that they never need to bother about the formats they are using to share files with others. Really, there are only two things you will lose if you move to LibreOffice - VisualBasic which I assume you do not use as you say you do not do any programming and a lot of unnecessary hassle - and lots of things you will gain including a decent PDF creator if you ever need PDFs.

Welcome!
    I recently completed a quick online course on spreadsheets. It focused, of course, on Excel but said the tips would work on Google Sheets and LibreOffice Calc as well. So, I worked in all three! The exercises showed me that while Google Sheets was ok for basic stuff, LibreOffice Calc was exceptional. That, along with LibreOffice Writer should be enough that you won't miss Windows a bit.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Hello and welcome! I just joined the forum myself. I believe you will find openSUSE is an excellent choice!

Thanks everyone for the info and replies.
    You guys have a very very nice community here .
    I think i will stick around.

Thanks,
    Gigi Horhota

Hi gigi,
    Hi Darcavath,

I, too, wanted to say hello, sooner. Then, all of a sudden, I felt a very strong urge of MS bashing. I don't know where it came from. Well, just recently. On the other hand, there's just too many reasons.
    But then ... so what?
    No point to spoil your welcome here! Great to have you here. Make yourselves comfortable.

Have a lot of fun.

kasi