Thread: Auto login not working in Plasma

Default Auto login not working in Plasma

Hi there,

I have activated the auto log in option in: System Settings>Account Details>User Manager but it does not work, and I still have to enter my password at boot.
    Is there any other switch I have missed?

Thanks in advance

Question Re: Auto login not working in Plasma

Quote Originally Posted by MadSplinter View Post
    I have activated the auto log in option in: System Settings>Account Details>User Manager
    Did you check the User Account Management in YaST?

Please, also check the directory “/etc/sddm.conf.d/” for a configuration file containing a section named “[Autologin]” – there should be an entry “User=«the user to be automatically logged in»” …

Please, take note that, the file “/etc/sddm.conf” should be empty «despite advice to the contrary where ever … » – all changes to the system default SDDM settings held in the files located in the system directory “/usr/lib/sddm/sddm.conf.d/” shall be made by machine specific (administrator) configuration files located in “/etc/sddm.conf.d/” …

The “sddm.conf” man (5) page –
    Code:
           /etc/sddm.conf
                  Local configuration file for compatibility

Default Re: Auto login not working in Plasma

Thanks for the suggestion, it was sufficient to activate it from YaST --> User and Group Administration with Expert Options --> Login Settings.

I guess it is a bit confusing, as the manual specifically mentions GNOME, and it turns out that the switch in Plasma is useless

As this is of course something that must be organized on the system level (what a mess would it be if every user could decide for him/herself that (s)he must be the one to log in automatically!), my first choice to find a setting would be YaST. And even if KDE Settings would provide a setting, then that should ask for the root password.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by MadSplinter View Post
    it turns out that the switch in Plasma is useless
    Yes, I know – it seems to be something to do with the KDE Plasma System Settings related to the Users, not being able to setup the SDDM configuration but,
    • If you look at the System Settings for “Startup and Shutdown” and the “Advanced Settings” tab of the “Login Screen (SDDM)” setup, you'll also find some auto-login information …

But, this information points to ‘/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager’ and the parameter “DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN” – which is possibly OK for other Display Manages but, possibly, not SDDM …

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    But, this information points to ‘/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager’ and the parameter “DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN” – which is possibly OK for other Display Manages but, possibly, not SDDM …
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/v...patch?expand=1

If it does not work, report a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    If it does not work, report a bug.
    Looks as if it should be OK – despite the lack of documentation …

Code is fact.
    • Documentation is fiction …